Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Routes Review 2016 – London Heathrow (LHR) to Inverness (INV)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Routes Review 2016 – London Heathrow (LHR) to Inverness (INV)

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Prospero
They were, but Dan Air also served INV from LHR from 1983.

Source: http://www.danairremembered.com/timetables.php
Brilliant! Thanks for that. I took that flight many times (member at Nairn) and have nothing but fond memories of that particular route. It was the first time I was ever allowed in the cockpit of the plane too. Those were the days.
Old May 4, 2016, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by paul4040
And here's the full report, in video...enjoy.

It was a fine day for it. And rather good to finally meet some more FlyerTalkers!
Great vid ! I liked the "guardsman" saluting with his left arm !
Old May 4, 2016, 2:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Just to follow on the b2b. You exit arrivals/customs, turn right, walk about 20 yards and get to security. Most of the passengers for the return flight were already in departures and there was an elderly couple in front of me. I was through in a few minutes. I remarked to one of the security team that it was nice to have a quick passage through and she said that it was absolutely packed about ten minutes previously. I asked her to clarify and she revealed that there were about forty people waiting. Still they were all through within ten minutes.
Old May 4, 2016, 4:52 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Reward Flight Saver
BA release at 2 seats for RFS per flight, and at the time of writing often a great deal more availability is on offer, so this is a relatively easy and cost effective way to use Avios, . Each way:
Peak: 4,500 Avios + Ł17.50
Off peak: 4,000 Avios + Ł17.50
(Note that for some reason a single INV-LHR cash element is 1 penny cheaper at Ł17.49).
My guess on the 1p saving is due to the lack of APD ex-INV; the actual taxes, fees and charges, well, YQ and UB, add up to less than the standard RFS fee, in which case the lower amount is charged.

Lovely analysis of the reinstated route CWS.
Old May 4, 2016, 4:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ICH Plat, Radisson Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero
They were, but Dan Air also served INV from LHR from 1983.

Source: http://www.danairremembered.com/timetables.php
Amazing. Thanks for finding this, great memories of going on holidays with them.
Old May 4, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Wow! Where did you find the Dan Air stuff? I used to have a box full of stuff like that in my loft from when I worked for them. I was biased, but their ABZ/LGW and INV/LHR in-flight service was second to none. Sigh
Old May 4, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: None
I'm currently working on upgrades to the Aberdeen to Inverness Rail Line. Assuming the funds are freed up, there'll be a new station built adjacent to the airport by 2019 with a direct service into Inverness.
Old May 4, 2016, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
There is no APD on long haul departures (via LHR) from INV right?
Old May 4, 2016, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by onlysuites
There is no APD on long haul departures (via LHR) from INV right?
If your ticket starts in INV, that is correct.
Old May 4, 2016, 4:33 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Just to make the obvious point, you only need to depart from INV to pocket the APD saving (Ł146). APD is only charged for outbound UK flights so on your return you don't have to go back to INV and can stop at LHR.
Old May 5, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Anyone know if BA plan to increase this from once a day? 1340 arrival time back into London does kill a lot of connections.
Old May 14, 2016, 4:07 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Doing my first INV-LHR today returning from a week of work in Fort William.
Must admit I'm really enjoying myself.

Security was smooth - I was through in 2 mins as I was the only one using it! 30 or so people in the departure lounge when I wafted through, and a good bit of time by myself in the Aspire lounge.. joined by some other people now though.

It's all very quaint but loving it all, doesn't feel like I've been through security at all really, completely stress free.

Can't we go back to flying being prohibitively expensive so it can always be this easy?
Old May 14, 2016, 4:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by hcuk94
It's all very quaint but loving it all, doesn't feel like I've been through security at all really, completely stress free.
Looking back, that rings true with me, it was all so quick and friendly it didn't feel anything than the most minor of inconveniences. If you then connect at T5 you have no further security either. One huge advantage of NCL and LBA is that security at these airports is also fairly painless, I wish I could say the same about MAN and ABZ, though GLA is also quite good and EDI is tolerable in Fast Track.

Incidentally for anyone else going through INV, or who lives thereabout: by all means put in stuff into this thread about things you can do or see around INV, to help other potential travellers.
Old May 14, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: BA silver,
[B]CWS[B]

For a two day trip, I really enjoyed flight LON-INV with an early lunch there, early afternoon train INV to Kyle of Lochalsh and then bus and or taxi to Armadale on Skye (via Broadford if using local bus) and then ferry to Mallaig for overnight. Following morning, train on beautiful West Highland line from Mallaig via Fort William and Glen Coe finishing in Glasgow. Half hour train journey out to GLA and then GLA to LHR. Brilliant if you get the weather!
Old May 14, 2016, 12:53 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rjhcambs
For a two day trip, I really enjoyed flight LON-INV with an early lunch there, early afternoon train INV to Kyle of Lochalsh and then bus and or taxi to Armadale on Skye (via Broadford if using local bus) and then ferry to Mallaig for overnight.
I did this many, many years ago, when there was actually a (weekly?) ferry between Mallaig and the Kyle. It would sail past the remains of Camusfeŕrna, the tragic venue of the late Gavin Maxwell's book Ring of Bright Water. This ferry was mentioned in the book, now the place is even more remote.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.