Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OTish Sony Z5 and CCR wiFi problem

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2016, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
OTish Sony Z5 and CCR wiFi problem

Anybody here who know what could be the cause of my WiFi problem? I have a Sony Z5 which works fine in most places but I cannot get a proper connection in the CCR. It says I am connected to BA Lounge WiFi but I am unable to access andy URLs. I do not even get as far a s the screen asking for the password . I have done the usual turning off and on plus "forgetting" the BA Lounge network.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; May 2, 2016 at 10:54 am Reason: Password removed
Old May 2, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Freccia Alta, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Once connected try going to a webpage that isn't HTTPS (I tend to use http://bbc.co.uk) - this sometimes forces the capture page to load.
Old May 2, 2016, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Cracked it - thanks!
Old May 2, 2016, 10:19 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by Ciaran McNulty
Once connected try going to a webpage that isn't HTTPS (I tend to use http://bbc.co.uk) - this sometimes forces the capture page to load.

Ciaran has this spot on, I almost guarantee this is the issue. I have had this so many times.
Old May 2, 2016, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The captive portal is trying to capture and redirect an HTTPS connection, and increasingly stringent security policies in browsers tend to make this harder and harder. Websites are increasingly going to HTTPS everywhere, so you have a higher chance of the first website request after joining the BA WiFi being a secure connection.

The results tend to be user frustration, "DOES NOT WORK GRRrrrr", unfortunately.

The browser security policies are there to protect you from malicious redirects, such as grabbing you http://www.yourbank.com/ and presenting a good impersonation for you to enter your personal information in, reconciling this with the captive portal idea is tricky.

Some devices try to fetch an HTTP page as soon as they connect to a new network and if they can't get it they ask for you to login to the network. On the Sony devices this tends to be the small "wifi" and "?" logo in the notification bar. Any HTTP website will work, as noted above the BBC is a fine choice, so will looking at the former notification which will bring up a browser tab to authenticate with.
Old May 2, 2016, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help and info. the bbc.co tip worked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.