FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BotB

Venue
Shepherd Hall
St Thomas’ Hospital
Westminster Bridge Road
London
SE1 7EH

Venue thanks to gav0106 and his team at St Thomas’ Hospital. For those of you who are new they are employed directly by the hospital and 100% of any profits we make from events and bar spend goes straight back to the Trust for projects involving patients and staff, so by supporting this event you will be giving back as well.

Google maps
PDF map
Virtual tour of Shepherd Hall

Nearby hotels include: Premier Inn County Hall and York Road, Park Plaza County Hall, Westminster, Riverbank, Hilton Bankside, Doubletree Westminster, Hampton Waterloo, and Marriott County Hall.

Food & Drink
There will be a sofa area and BBQ on the Terrace (as well as seating in the main room).

The BBQ itself will be £5 per person, pay at bar and then collect food, with a choice of:

Aberdeen Angus Beef Burger
Cumberland Sausage
Mixed Vegetable Burger

Selection of toppings and dressing, served with

Tomato and Red Onion Salad
Mixed Green Salad
New Potato Salad

Bar Prices
Bottle Beer - £3
Cider - £4
Belvoir Soft Drinks - £2

Large range of wines and champagnes including:

Bollinger £45
Joseph Perrier £30
Prosecco £15

Musar Jeune Red - £15
Sharpham Valley White - £15

The hospital does take credit cards but not Amex due to the charges they impose.

All profits are re-invested into the Trust and the venue is being provided to us completely free of charge.

Hotels
Current sales
Please highlight any sales which cover Friday night.

Where are you staying?
Park Plaza Riverbank - hcuk94

Attendees updated to post #255
Confirmed - 71
Accidental Scientist, aks120, BA or bust, bafan, BAGoldBoy, BAGoldBoy+1, BlackberryAddict, BLHD, BLHD+1, boost, CasaDeTony, CasaDeTony+1, Chris_G, chris1979, Cris L, danielbk, danielbk+1, DGM1985, elsanchez, ESC, frasier, frasier+1, GadgetGal, Godot, Gshumway, hcuk94, howarsan, howarsan+1, Iamnotlost, Iamnotlost+1, Iamnotlost+2, jcm9000, Jermyn, Jimmie76, JohnSydney2000, JohnSydney2000+1, KARFA, KeaneJohn, LE2, LondonAndy, LondonAndy+1, mariagri, matthandy, megaloman, missdimeaner, NoTiersForMe, nwmgc, onaswan, onemoretrip, Pandra, Pandra+1, Physci, Pilot37, pjh981, Richmond_Surrey, robertf999, Sealink, seaskybound, Sixth Freedom, skye1, small_clanger, snuffi, SleepySynapse, Sparkster, Stimpy, TheFlyingDoctor, Tiffywren, tomparskate, wizla, World Traveller Fuss, 81romeo

Possible - 25
agehall, AJLondon, AlisonB84, AlisonB84+1, angeloedades, darthlemsip, DocWatson, Eskimoboy, exilencfc, Gagravarr+1, GodAtum, Gshumway, JamieABZ, johnny5a, mattking2000, michalis, missdimeaner, papyPiHi, pianoamit, Raffles, RichardInSF, RichardInSF+1, Soupey202, visualAd, yetihouse

Pre-Do Lunch

For anyone interested in meeting up before the Do (or that cannot attend), we're thinking of having a lunch on Friday.

Interested in lunch

Location: Skylon (at the Royal Festival Hall), due to the small group I (Dylan) made a reservation.

dylanks, jcm9000, Elsanchez, Alextheengineer
Print Wikipost

The London DO 2016 - Friday 1st July

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
I will be staying for the night at the Doubletree Westminster, across the water from St. Thomas' Hospital. Anyone of our regular London travelers how to best get there from LHR? Getting in from AMS at 15:20. As I am not the greatest walker, trying to avoid too long of walks with a suitcase. Also don't have an Oyster card and would prefer to use Visa (with chip) if possible and not get cash.

Last edited by Gshumway; May 13, 2016 at 10:18 am
Old May 13, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Gshumway
I will be staying for the night at the Doubletree Westminster, across the water from St. Thomas' Hospital. Anyone of our regular London travelers how to best get there from LHR? Getting in from AMS at 15:20. As I am not the greatest walker, trying to avoid too long of walks with a suitcase. Also don't have an Oyster card and would prefer to use Visa (with chip) if possible and not get cash.
Check https://citymapper.com/london/ it's super useful for travelling around London. The 'Rain Safe' options that citymapper returns involve the least walking if that's an important factor for you.

Looking at citymapper I'd say as long as time isn't critical your best bet is piccadilly line from heathrow then victoria line to pimlico - saves you having to pay for the heathrow express which is quite expensive.

You don't need an oyster card if your Visa is contactless - is it? See here for info: https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment...-payment-cards

If you have the contactless symbol, you should just be able to tap your visa on the ticket barriers at heathrow underground station, and then tap again on your way out at your final station. This also works for buses where you tap for a fixed fare as you board the bus. Non-underground trains (i.e. heathrow express and trains going out of London) you will need to buy a traditional ticket.

If your card isn't contactless there are ticket machines where you can buy paper tickets using a chip & pin card. However be aware that these fares are a lot more expensive, and if you're going to be travelling around London a bit during your visit you'd be better off paying £5 for an oyster card (which you can always hand back for a refund at the end of your trip if you don't wish to keep it).

Hope that helps.
Old May 13, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
I was just looking at private car hire and probably will just do that. Yes, more expensive but then all the walking I need do to is over to St. Thomas and back :-)
Old May 13, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Heathrow Express to Paddington and then the Central Line to Westminster probably the quickest but a bit pricy. Piccadilly to South Kensington and then the District/Central Line to Westminster a bit quicker than going to Pimlico but a bit further to walk.
Old May 13, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
I'm just looking at hotels now, Going to opt for the train down I think.

Has anyone stayed at the Hilton London Bankside before? Is £155 including breakfast seem like a reasonable deal?
Old May 13, 2016, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by tomparskate

Has anyone stayed at the Hilton London Bankside before? Is £155 including breakfast seem like a reasonable deal?
Feedback has been very good to date, hotel is very new.

Hilton has just launched a new sale, there is also the public sector discount code if you work in it.
Old May 19, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Count me in. (Oneworld cousins welcome )
Old May 21, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster
And count me in as well, been a couple of years since last Do I attended. [wiki edited]

Last edited by NoTiersForMe; May 21, 2016 at 9:44 am Reason: wiki editing
Old May 21, 2016, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by Gshumway
I was just looking at private car hire and probably will just do that. Yes, more expensive but then all the walking I need do to is over to St. Thomas and back :-)
Originally Posted by Rubecula
Heathrow Express to Paddington and then the Central Line to Westminster probably the quickest but a bit pricy. Piccadilly to South Kensington and then the District/Central Line to Westminster a bit quicker than going to Pimlico but a bit further to walk.
If you're going to spring for a car anyway, I would look into the train to Paddington then a cab (provided you do not have too much luggage). Depending on day/time, riding all the way into london in a car can be punitive. If you're getting in on the Friday of the do I would definitely look into the train into Paddington.
Old May 21, 2016, 1:21 pm

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Originally Posted by tomparskate

155 quid in central london? Do it. the doubletree at the tower of london is rarely below 300.....a bit further away but some perspective for london hilton prices! I stay at the grange city every week, usual 198, once had 98 a night, won't see that again!

I'll say it again and as noted above - if spending any time in london and you are not a licensed taxi driver, get the city mapper app. It works in many other major cities as well...pure brilliant for getting about.
Old May 21, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Who funds these Dos?
Old May 21, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
Originally Posted by allturnleft
Who funds these Dos?
Illuminati
Old May 21, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Who funds these Dos?
Those who attend. The site has (to my knowledge) been granted free of charge but there is a paid bar etc so the site owner makes money that way. There is no admission fee etc.
Old May 22, 2016, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Who funds these Dos?
Originally Posted by Physci
Those who attend. The site has (to my knowledge) been granted free of charge but there is a paid bar etc so the site owner makes money that way. There is no admission fee etc.
there is no one 'funding' this (or any I've been to) DO. A very kind FTer is giving us a great venue for free and drinks and food are paid for by attendees.

Any 'money made' via the bar or food will go straight to benefit the hospital (the venue is a hospital and the FTer works at said hospital) so no FTer nor private individual 'benefits' from this DO.

The reason why we go for this venue over and above 'any old pub' is a mix of great location, great service and staff and it means we don't have to worry about a reserved area / noise levels in the pub / size of the DO, etc. - the hall and terrace are ours to use.

We have in the past also ran auctions and raffles to support both the venue and BA's Flying Start charity (as well as having some fun and there have been some great prizes available for the winners).
Old May 30, 2016, 1:27 am

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
I'm now about 90% certain that myself and my lovely +1 will be able to attend...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.