Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expired Avios recovered

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Expired Avios recovered

I know this comes up occasionally, so I thought I'd post my experience.

I recently realised that I had let about 100k of Avios.com Avios expire almost a year ago. No excuse, I just got my dates muddled.

I rang Avios in a bit of a panic and the guy I spoke to was great. He checked my account, saw the expired miles, reinstated them and said I had to earn at least 1 Avios in the next 3 months to keep the account active.

I got the impression that this was entirely routine. The whole thing took about 10 minutes on the phone and the miles were back in my account about an hour later. I made sure I collected a few Avios immediately and my account is back to normal now.

All pretty painless, considering :-)

Last edited by pboae; Mar 29, 2016 at 10:41 pm
Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:32 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Is this BA Avios or Avios.com Avios?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, I should have said; it was Avios.com, I've edited my original post to clarify.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Plat
I'm in the same boat as the OP. Tried many times with calls to BA with no such luck? All calls are outsourced to India and basically get you no where with that. Also emailed BA and those go to India as well with no luck. Is there any phone numbers to call that actually may help with the loss and/or expired Avios miles? You said you called Avios.com is that a UK number? Is there anybody on FT that may have more pull to get this job done? Your help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I've never been passed to a foreign call centre, I tend to call the international BAEC number, ensuring I withhold my number before-hand in order that I don't get the "you need to ring the 0845 number". Hope that helps.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

I called them on 0844 49 333 99 I am pretty sure it was a UK call center, the guy I spoke to had a regional accent. But this was for Avios.com avios, not BAEC.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 2:09 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by worldpass
I'm in the same boat as the OP. Tried many times with calls to BA with no such luck? All calls are outsourced to India and basically get you no where with that. Also emailed BA and those go to India as well with no luck. Is there any phone numbers to call that actually may help with the loss and/or expired Avios miles? You said you called Avios.com is that a UK number? Is there anybody on FT that may have more pull to get this job done? Your help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Avios.com is a separate program that uses avios as the currency.

In your case you will need to contact BAEC, however I do not recall ever reading about someone having expired BAEC avios reinstated.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:00 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
While I still worked for BA, the procedure was to write to Customer Relations and request the expired Avios be reinstated. A similar stipulation about earning more Avios within 3 months was in place. Don't know if that's still possible with BA Avios, but interesting to hear that Avios.com Avios can be reinstated over the phone.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I hope that my miles can be reinstated as I received an EC email dated 20th Nov. gently reminding me that my miles would expire in 5 months which I appreciated but logging into today find they were already withdrawn 2 days ago! Hey, that's not even 2 months never mind 5 months!
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Happily the miles that had been withdrawn from my account have been returned after talking to BA EC. Impressed that not only is there a willingness to correct what seemed an oversight but to do it so quickly on a weekend.

And an important lesson relearned for me to pay more attention to account activity dates.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Nice service recovery, and glad that happened for you.

A bucket of Avios needs refreshing! Fortunately our Amex PP gets hit almost daily with grocery shopping, so expiry of Avios never crosses our minds.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 4:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
As data point the same applies to BA Avios too - my sister's expired earlier this month.

Email to customer services centre was a no - they are lost..

Call to the service centre was a yes. (that said waiting for them to reappear)

We now have 3 months to make any kind of transaction - suggestions included Gate 365.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 4:36 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by rupert_s
As data point the same applies to BA Avios too - my sister's expired earlier this month.

Email to customer services centre was a no - they are lost..

Call to the service centre was a yes. (that said waiting for them to reappear)

We now have 3 months to make any kind of transaction - suggestions included Gate 365.
Been 5 years since this post - but your sister is sure luckly. Haven't seen much positive data points on BA Avios. I called in today too with no luck.

Wonder if different call centres result in YMMV?
Old Mar 2, 2023, 11:54 am

I haven't flown since covid and my avios also expired well past the 3 mo mark. Any luck in bringing very old miles back from the dead?
Old Mar 2, 2023, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by kaiotes
I haven't flown since covid and my avios also expired well past the 3 mo mark. Any luck in bringing very old miles back from the dead?
See this thread and the linked threads within for some reports:
Expired Avios Miles Reinstatement

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.