Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Major blow to the BA Amex as FCA imposes 0.3% interchange fee cap

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2016, 1:22 pm
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat

The author of the following article is a particular expert on this subject:

What this means is that the BA Amex card will become subject to the same 0.3% cap on interchange fees (one of several elements of the total fee paid by merchants for accepting card payments) as Visa and MasterCard. This will limit the revenue to Amex that funds the Avios we receive. This is because the card is branded with British Airways. A generic American Express chargecard can continue to earn Membership Rewards without a cap on interchange fees, and Membership Rewards points can be transferred to Avios.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR , HH Diamond
Thank you for pointing this out NFH.

I have seen an ongoing erosion of some of the fringe benefits of having a Platinum AMEX (for example no more Platinum Accord status...) but perhaps the situation will indeed now mean AMEX bolsters their Platinum benefits rather than eroding them. And for sure let's enjoy our BA AMEX 2-4-1 vouchers in the UK whilst we can...
Old Mar 25, 2016, 2:48 pm

Interchange is only 1 element of the overall charges levied to the Merchant. I wonder if they (Amex) will find a way to increase another part of the charge to make up for the decreased interchange?
Old Mar 25, 2016, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Scallywag72
Thank you for pointing this out NFH.

I have seen an ongoing erosion of some of the fringe benefits of having a Platinum AMEX (for example no more Platinum Accord status...) but perhaps the situation will indeed now mean AMEX bolsters their Platinum benefits rather than eroding them. And for sure let's enjoy our BA AMEX 2-4-1 vouchers in the UK whilst we can...
I'd strongly suspect you'll see the reverse if changes occur.

IF the BA Amex benefits are reduced - Amex will probably reduce the benefits on the platinum card as there'll be fewer decent alternatives out there. Less competition = less need to provide anything decent.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I have a friend who runs a small business. Visa and MC charge him 1.17%, and pay him in 45 days. Amex charges 4% and doesn't pay him for 120 days after the sale. Not surprisingly, he no longer accepts Amex.

The benefits that Amex offers are paid for by all of us in terms of higher retail prices to cover the credit card fees.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
I have a friend who runs a small business. Visa and MC charge him 1.17%, and pay him in 45 days. Amex charges 4% and doesn't pay him for 120 days after the sale. Not surprisingly, he no longer accepts Amex.

The benefits that Amex offers are paid for by all of us in terms of higher retail prices to cover the credit card fees.
Wow, that is a long time to wait! I run a business that accepts Visa and MasterCard and we get paid in 5 days max. Maybe your friend should look at changing Merchant Services provider.?
Old Mar 25, 2016, 6:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by alwayswanttoturnleft
Wow, that is a long time to wait! I run a business that accepts Visa and MasterCard and we get paid in 5 days max. Maybe your friend should look at changing Merchant Services provider.?
It sounds like a high risk category merchant.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 6:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold

Your friend needs a new merchant bank.

I also run a small business and pay 1.2% visa and MasterCard and 1.6% for Amex. In both cases the funds are available the following day.

Amex recently got cheaper but when I have the time I think there are better rates to be had on the other two
Old Mar 25, 2016, 9:49 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by alwayswanttoturnleft
This is in Canada, I suspect the payment times are different than in Europe.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 9:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
This is in Canada, I suspect the payment times are different than in Europe.
If he's paying fees like that tell him to use Square for credit and his regular machine for debit. Much cheaper and payments are quicker.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 1:37 am

I think your friend is paying way over the odds. Amex reduced their fees significantly in the last few years. I helped my parents set up a new credit card merchant supplier in the pub they used to run. 'Normal' visa and mastercard were about 1.2% as you say, but then there was a premium visa and mastercard category (no idea) which was around 1.75%. Amex was about 1.85%. It is true, years ago, Amex were about twice the price of visa and mastercard but you don't have to pay that any more.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 1:54 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver

Apologies - I know nothing about merchant fees. Why is Amex higher and therefore what's the incentive for anyone to accept it?
Old Mar 26, 2016, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by gustavmahler
Apologies - I know nothing about merchant fees. Why is Amex higher and therefore what's the incentive for anyone to accept it?
It is a convenience for their customers. It may drive slightly higher sales from people who wish to pay with Amex - some people will favour suppliers who take Amex to earn their companion vouchers
Old Mar 26, 2016, 2:00 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
some people will favour suppliers who take Amex to earn their companion vouchers
Guilty!
Old Mar 26, 2016, 2:45 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by NFH
The author of the following article is a particular expert on this subject:
[snip]
This is because the card is branded with British Airways. A generic American Express chargecard can continue to earn Membership Rewards without a cap on interchange fees, and Membership Rewards points can be transferred to Avios.
Happy to be corrected but I don't agree with Rob's interpretation of what changed yesterday (or rather, was confirmed to have changed yesterday, indefinitely).

To me the possible exemption was for cards with a singular issuer-transactor (i.e. Amex), which would be for all BA/SPG cards and Amex's own Gold/Plat cards. I don't see co-branding as a relevant distinction (whereas licensed Amex cards issued by Lloyds/MBNA/etc were distinct and never qualified for the possible extension).

There could be a distinction between credit and charge cards but since they are no different from the merchant point of view it wouldn't be deliberate. So now, with the possible exemption ruled out, all Amex cards are capped???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.