Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2016, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: T8191
Those who have pounced on this new offering with commendable speed include ....

Airclues
CGavT_London
ItalyBAGold
T8191
CloudGazer
SuboJvR
london1
A P Yu
TurnsLeft
Print Wikipost

New route : LGW-CPT, from 24 November 2016

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2016, 5:13 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
I'd almost given up a LGW-CPT returning, so long after Nationwide went. A canny move from BA (as long as they have the aircraft), a light increase in capacity while protecting their LHR-CPT goldmine.
An option I'd consider.

On the tourism theme. SA has a bit of something for almost everyone. For my family it is always a car and then working out an itinerary ... slightly away from the beaten track and finding wonderful scenery and food. This January we self-catered, 20 straight BBQs (braais), washed down with fantastic local Reds &/or Cap Classique.
The thing is you really can find excellent quality for usual holiday type things at all price points.
On the downside the politics can be a bit precarious and local disputes flare up, have their couple of days than pass over.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 10:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by escape2sun
BTW Thomas Cook are also starting direct flights from Gatwick, maybe that will help bring the price down
This is an interesting situation, both with BA and Thomas Cook now doing the route.

Does anyone think Norwegian air's expansion into North America will bring more LGW (leisure) routes from BA? Will be an interesting year for LGW it seems.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
So we seem to have 5 members here who have booked already!! I wonder what 'family discussions' will take place over the weekend, leading to additional players?

Airclues
CGavT_London
ItalyBAGold
T8191
CloudGazer
SuboJvR

(WikiPost created)

Last edited by T8191; Mar 25, 2016 at 6:47 am Reason: adding to list!
Old Mar 25, 2016, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by T8191
So we seem to have 5 members here who have booked already!! I wonder what 'family discussions' will take place over the weekend, leading to additional players?

Airclues
CGavT_London
ItalyBAGold
T8191
CloudGazer
Hello from this newbie

Just wanted to say thanks for the information in this thread. We've been monitoring the direct London-Cape Town flights for a solid month, when Gatwick suddenly appeared yesterday we were very confused but it was reassuring to see this thread as we then knew it had literally just launched!

We've been looking for deals on WT+ for next February, dates very fixed, and not had much joy thus far on the LHR route. I was anticipating that there "might" be a sale in late April but who knows whether it would cover our dates or not.

Decided to take the plunge! We had a budget in mind for what we were willing to pay for this, and when Gatwick appeared it dropped in.

Well, sort of.

My husband is flying out a few days earlier to spend extra time with his family, and I may have rather meanly downgraded him to Economy to save a few extra Łs Rationale being whenever we usually go, we go for the cheapest we can - multiple connections, always economy, so hey to fly direct is already a bonus!

So there's now 4 less return WT+ seats going in Feb! Well, except on the outbound, there's 3 less WT+. *cough*

I've been to Cape Town myself twice but we have family there, and this time taking my dad and brother (who will be Gold by the time we go - he's amazed that WT+ to CPT is comparable cost-wise to Business to other places, but as I told him, BA pretty much have the direct offering sewn up... unless you look at TC eh).

If anyone is looking for recommendations give me a shout!

One that I will recommend is the Garden Route Game Lodge - we're going back for a third time - which is, as the name suggests on the Garden Route. Not quite the full Kruger experience of course, but do-able from Cape Town with at least an overnight stay, lovely accommodation and The Big Five - http://grgamelodge.co.za - and one of the friendliest, most beautiful places I've ever been.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi, SuboJvR, and a warm welcome to the BA Forum. What a propitious moment to choose, and well done on grabbing the 'goodies' while they're still available. We hope you stick around - you clearly have some useful info for ZA newbies like me, and probably some other folks here too.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by henkybaby
You should! CPT is lovely in Winter. Stay in Camps Bay for a bit and do a 5 day tour of the province.

Also you would need about one fifth (or less) of your Jamaica budget per day.
is a week long enough out there?
Old Mar 25, 2016, 6:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by SuboJvR
Hello from this newbie
I also need to offer my greetings and welcome to you SuboJvR, thank you very much for your insights, welcome to Flyertalk and the BA board, it's good to have you with us.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer200
is a week long enough out there?
In my case we are going for 2 weeks, so all options exist.

But with such a large territory, and so many things to do/see, I would have though 1 week would be rather limiting. Especially for an Elder, who likes to take things at a leisurely pace
Old Mar 25, 2016, 7:00 am

I can't see any other players joining in - looks like there's nothing left for next year.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I can't see any other players joining in - looks like there's nothing left for next year.
EEEK ... glad I listened to advice from C-W-S and Henkybaby upthread and dived in!

One of the legs we booked yesterday had 7 reward seats available in CW, so theres some serious consumption coming from somewhere.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 7:31 am

I was thinking of booking something last night. In the 10 mins I was looking at dates, the last three dates for next year disappeared...
Old Mar 25, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Blue
Managed to snag 2 CW seats for Feb using an AX 2-F-1 voucher. Was holding out for a QR deal or a ex DUB to HNL but this came along first. Happy 50th organised😀
Old Mar 25, 2016, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by london1
Managed to snag 2 CW seats for Feb using an AX 2-F-1 voucher. Was holding out for a QR deal or a ex DUB to HNL but this came along first. Happy 50th organised😀
Well done you! ^

I'm trying to PM C-W-S to thank him, but his Inbox is full as usual!!
Old Mar 25, 2016, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I was thinking of booking something last night. In the 10 mins I was looking at dates, the last three dates for next year disappeared...
Same here. Was trying to coordinate with my mother to get her to go on a 'last great trip', but by the time I had convinced her that 78 is still young, it was all gone...

And somehow I don't see myself doing an exOSL with her.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Same here. Was trying to coordinate with my mother to get her to go on a 'last great trip', but by the time I had convinced her that 78 is still young, it was all gone...
You have my "Thank You" PM, I trust? Sorry you missed out, possibly by spending time persuading me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.