Wiki Posts
Search

Con on ba comair in south africa

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Con on ba comair in south africa

Warning - scam.

Please be advised that the promise that you will be given an upgrade voucher on a domestic ba flight in south africa when you spend r200 000 on you avios/absa credit card is indeed false advertising of the highest level. You will have to purchase an economy class y,b or h ticket first. These are the most expensive economy class tickets and are more expensive then a discounted club/business ticket. I have brought this to the attention of senior avios/absa staff around 7 months ago and they admitted that this was the case and to date nothing has changed - so beware - if this is one of the perks you are hoping for - you will be out of pocket and left red in the face! Wow - how to pull the wool over a customer! Popi???
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
I suppose it's the same as if you use your Amex 2-4-1. There are a load of conditions attached and, in effect, BA decide when you use it.

You should have read the small print!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Do you feel better after posting this?

I hope so, as this seems to be the main reason for doing so.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by stu1985
I suppose it's the same as if you use your Amex 2-4-1. There are a load of conditions attached and, in effect, BA decide when you use it.

You should have read the small print!
+1 or for that matter was the case with standard upgrades till recently. We have regularly had people claiming false advertising and deception or even swearing they'd take the airlines to court and win and I'm not aware of any of it happening to date.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Yes - of course i read the fine print - but it is only when one attempts to redeem the voucher that you realize that you are actually BUYING an economy ticket at CLUB prices.....con of note!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
So you read the fine print but didn't quite understand it and found out the real rules when redeeming OR you can prove that these limitations were not in the fine print at all? Important distinction in order to decide what to call this.

Ah well, be happy that you can at least earn some kind of benefit on a credit card. In many countries (like mine) there simply is no way to earn anything at all.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
If you believe it to be a 'con', then contact the relevant authorities.

H
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
I think the T&Cs are clear enough but I do have some sympathy as like most BA "free" upgrade offers only the fare buckets are listed: https://www.britishairways.com/en-za...s/credit-cards

4. To use your cabin upgrade voucher customers will need to purchase a Y, B or H Traveller (Economy) class ticket. The Traveller ticket will then be upgraded to Club (business) class subject to U class availability.
Most people will not realise that this means the Y ticket will often be more expensive than the cheapest business fare available on that flight.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:07 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Caveat emptor.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:28 am

Programs: VA Platinum
Not a con in any shape or form.
Annoying at best, as its fairly common knowledge that full fare economy is often the same if not more than discounted business tickets.
This is true in Europe too.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:31 am
Original Poster

How can PAYING for a 'reward' not be a con??
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:34 am

Easy... the reward is a free upgrade from an economy full fare to business. You are not paying for the upgrade, the free voucher does that.
The fact you can buy a business ticket cheaper doesn't come into it.

And don't forget depending on availability, sometimes it will still be cheaper to use the voucher.
So to get the best value, save the voucher for a date where there are no discounted business flights or book last minute to maximise the saving
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:38 am

Its the same with Avios flights. You can book for free but still have to pay the taxes and surcharges. So technically not 100% free, but its the way the system works and its all in the T&C's.

Don't forget, if using the upgrade voucher you'd probably have to pay some additional taxes too...
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:48 am
Original Poster

In my mind this is no different to been told by BMW that if you buy a new 3 series before X date, you will be upgraded to a 4 series - and then when you transact you pay for more then what you would have paid should you indeed have initially wanted to purchase a 4 series. No brainer - this is blatant abuse of consumer rights....
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by russellrst
In my mind this is no different to been told by BMW that if you buy a new 3 series before X date, you will be upgraded to a 4 series - and then when you transact you pay for more then what you would have paid should you indeed have initially wanted to purchase a 4 series. No brainer - this is blatant abuse of consumer rights....
Yes, correct, if you buy the TOP model 3 series before X date then you will be upgraded to a 4 series.
Sorry, but I don't think you fully understand consumer rights. All the info was there in the T&Cs that you read.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.