Community
Wiki Posts
Search

70mph winds forecast for tomorrow (8th)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:52 am

Programs: BA
unlike most imperial measurements, knots and nautical miles actually make sense as they're units based on latitude/longitude. I should caveat my experience as being on University operated boats - obviously metric is king in the Scientific world, I have no idea how widespread it is on "normal" boats.
Aviation in the west has for some time used knots, feet, etc, but in Soviet (and their allies) aviation they did not do so. All the classic Tupolevs etc measured speeds in km/h rather than knots, while air traffic control used altitude in metres, typically in 1,000m increments, so 10,000m which is 32,800 feet would be a common assigned altitude. Aircraft crossing the boundary would need to make an adjustment to the new height. Airbus on the A320 were (I believe) the first to have instruments which were switchable to show either/both of the scales - until then crews would have ready reckoner type sheets in front of them to make the conversion between radio instruction and their instruments. The reverse was required, of course, for Soviet aircraft operating to the west.

However, in recent times the various eastern countries have actually changed over to use knots, ATC heights in feet, etc. Part of this is the withdrawl of Soviet aircraft types, replacing them with Boeings etc. It's a notable reversal of metrication.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:27 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Originally Posted by PETER01
I'd strongly disagree, he didn't even know what a Nacreous Cloud was! ..............

(Ooooh, the banter...)
The cheek...definitely have to get jnr. Peter to get us access to your new abode with the intent to do some crosswind redecorating!

Hope everyone gets where they are going safely, nothing to add to KARFA's excellent coverage (and others) ^
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:31 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by BotB
The cheek...definitely have to get jnr. Peter to get us access to your new abode with the intent to do some crosswind redecorating!

Jnr PETER01 is under strict instructions not to communicate with any FTrs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.