Community
Wiki Posts
Search

70mph winds forecast for tomorrow (8th)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:50 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Banana4321
I don't think a queue of planes going from LHR to LGW having GAed twice passing a line of planes from LGW to LHR for the same reason makes much sense....
The divert wouldn't have been to LGW though...
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
I am not convinced that they understand windspeed in mph either. The same argument was used when temperature reports were changed from Fahrenheit to Celsius. If the argument that Celsius is an international standard scale for temperature, then knots is still the only measure of speed used wordwide.
Ah, I have a quick conversion F to C I can do in my head in the middle of a conversation but Knots to MPH my conversion is thus ...."add about 15%" which I cant do mid conversation
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by pinkcat
Ah, I have a quick conversion F to C I can do in my head in the middle of a conversation
Started me wondering about how to convert from First Class to Business Class...
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Peak Gusts that I could see;

Heathrow EGLL 43KT 03772 49KT
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by MM00LL2
Good afternoon from Southend Airport. WX120 08:40 DUB to LCY eventually left DUB @ 11:05 diverted to Southend cause of windshear @ LCY. Just wondering if the Bae146 have windshear limitations as the BA cityflier Embraer aircraft seem to be able to land @ LCY in current conditions?
Being close to London City I've never seen so many Go Arounds as in the last 24 hours, it's just been constant, sometimes 50% of landings, and the ramp has ben looking pretty empty. Notably, and against the above, the bulk have seemed to be Embraer's (of all operators, although BA obviously the majority). BA seem to be diverting more to Stansted now, and a VLM F50 this morning diverted to Southampton. Southend has become a bit less friendly to LCY diversions now that Easyjet and Stobart schedules have taken many of their ramp positions.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Remarkably tranquil in our little valley, despite Jersey Met's
with gusts to 75 mph this afternoon
Exposed areas [oooh Matron!] certainly had more of an 'event'. More in the small hours of tomorrow morning, apparently.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
After my kerfufle and worrying, my flight (the 113) got away on time, bit bumpy in the climb but nothing compared to the heinous turbulence over Newfoundland that had half the cabin reaching for the sick bags
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Can anyone spot where we hit the turbulence?

Last edited by Joely; Feb 8, 2016 at 2:47 pm
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
It has been widely shown that the general public's perception of speed is poor, eyewitness reports of RTCs being a classic example.
Your point regarding boats is interesting considering the origin of the knot. Perhaps km/h is therefore the future, not that is ever likely to happen though.
A very good point, though I'd imagine their speed perception would be even worse if they were trying to describe the car speed in knots!

Yeah, and unlike most imperial measurements, knots and nautical miles actually make sense as they're units based on latitude/longitude. I should caveat my experience as being on University operated boats - obviously metric is king in the Scientific world, I have no idea how widespread it is on "normal" boats.

While I greatly despise the hodge-podge we have made between imperial and metric (though explaining to foreigners that I have no idea how long a foot is but I only know my height in feet and not cm, or I physically measure everything in metres but can only visualise speed/long distances in miles etc. is pretty hilarious!), I think we've gone past a point of no return. It must cost a fortune to change all the road signs etc. now - and obviously they'd have to be changed at the same time which would be a logistical nightmare!
Old Feb 8, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Just got home from Gran Canaria. Once we had boarded and the doors were closed the captain told us there would be an hour and a half delay before taking off because of the bad weather at LHR. Our landing was a little bumpier than usual but nothing special.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 5:24 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Joely
After my kerfufle and worrying, my flight (the 113) got away on time, bit bumpy in the climb but nothing compared to the heinous turbulence over Newfoundland that had half the cabin reaching for the sick bags
Our climb out on the 177 was fine. But agree about the turbulence but no sign of vomit... I don't do sick. At that point I will let the little blighters fend for themselves!
Old Feb 8, 2016, 5:43 pm

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
BA401 (BRU-LHR) was 15 minutes late from LHR, boarded around the original scheduled departure time and then waited about 30min on the ground. Arrived about an hour late, landing was a bit "wiggly" but nothing much. Captain told us it was better than some other flights from BRU (one was 2 hours delayed on the ground, other one was cancelled).
Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by pinkcat
Ah, I have a quick conversion F to C I can do in my head in the middle of a conversation but Knots to MPH my conversion is thus ...."add about 15%" which I cant do mid conversation
A quick C to F conversion that is rough and ready but quite useful is to double the C and add 30. There are some useful numbers to remember too 28C is 82F and 16C is 61F. These can be varied by adding 2F for each C.

So 23C is 2xC = 46 + 30, approx 76F
Or 28 is 82 and 28-23 is 5, so take 10 off the 82 for 72F. Useful approximations

The adding of 15% for knots to mph is just a case of adding 10% and half that again.

So 55 knots is 55+5.5 = 60.5 + 2.75. That's a bit tricky when thinking quickly but 60 + 3 is simple enough. So 55 knots is 63mph
Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:57 am

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
70mph winds forecast for tomorrow (8th)

Came in on 232 last night on a 777, and all seemed fine. No turbulence just a lot of engine speed up/slow down so assumed was headwind
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:27 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
A quick C to F conversion ... There are some useful numbers to remember too 28C is 82F and 16C is 61F.
Colleague described this very point to one of the secretarial staff in the office. Unfortunately something was lost in the telling, because they then thought that ALL temperature conversions C/F were done by transposing the two digits ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.