Wiki Posts
Search

GIG Airport Facilities?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze
GIG Airport Facilities?

Does anyone know if there are any shower facilities at GIG?
Travelling in CW and can't seem to find much about the lounge we will have access too.

Thanks!
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: Executive Club (Gold), Marriot Bonvoy (Gold)
Hi, no showers I'm afraid. It's a very small lounge which when I was there late last year (November) was very crowded just before the BA flight - seating was at a premium. Very little in the way of food too!

There's some pictures here: http://pearlsoftravelwisdom.boarding...io-de-janeiro/
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: BAEC: Gold, HH:Diamond, Marriott: Platinum, IHG: Diamond Ambassador
No showers I don't think:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...l#post20628729
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: AC 35K
Definitely no showers. One of the worst lounges at BA outstations I must say.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:58 pm

Easily the worst lounge on the network.....The biggest failing is the complete lack of air-conditioning, but rude staff, poor food/drink selection and ancient furniture come close behind. It's also a fair hike to the gate. The lounge is marginally more bearable when flying IB to MAD due to the earlier departure and lower numbers of J and eligible pax, compared to BA.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:34 am

The GIG lounge is so poor that on my most recent flight I decided to just buy a bottle of water and sit by the gate and read until boarding. Same level of comfort and saves the rather long walk to and from the worst lounge in the BA network.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Ivory (no more AF), Accor Plat, VS Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by TomK81
Does anyone know if there are any shower facilities at GIG?
Travelling in CW and can't seem to find much about the lounge we will have access too.

Thanks!

Think of the black hole of Calcutta and expect it to be worse!

Seriously it's not that bad but it must be one of BA's worst outstations loungewise. The 773 has plenty of premium pax and a high Silver/Gold quotient in the other cabins. The lounge can cope with about half of them in uncomfortable seats with fairly basic drinks, a soup, generally some pastries (pasteis etc) and wifi. It's well worn and could benefit from some of the blinds being open for natural light.

When I was last there earlier in the month, I was told that BA and IB would shortly transfer flights to a different terminal and use AA facilities.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 10:39 am

Please note that some of the better shops/restaurants are in the check-in and arrival halls (one flight down). So if you have extra time best to wait before going through immigration.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Marcusm

When I was last there earlier in the month, I was told that BA and IB would shortly transfer flights to a different terminal and use AA facilities.
The AA lounge at GIG is pretty pathetic as well. And this is the new one I'm talking about.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze
Thanks for all the comments, I guess we will have as little time as possible at the airport then and get a shower somehow before coming to the airport.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Its not that bad but its not great. I've endured worse

When we flew home from GIG last year (on the 9pm flight) we got a late check-out from the hotel (stayed at the Belmond Copacabana) and then booked an appointment at their spa for about 5pm. A relaxing massage followed by full use of their facilities including the showers. We were in a taxi back to GIG at 7pm, freshly showered and changed into clothes more suited to the cooler climate we were returning to, and it worked out perfectly.

If you're there on business, this may not work out so well, of course
Old Feb 6, 2016, 5:10 am

British Airways will move to the new international pier at GIG, which is why they haven't invested in anything. Before GIG was handed over to a private operator, BA was not even able to invest.

Originally Posted by justforfun
The AA lounge at GIG is pretty pathetic as well. And this is the new one I'm talking about.
AA's lounge at GIG is improvised. A new one will open after the new international pier opens in May.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.