Changing Domestic Sector RFS

Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:41 am
Original Poster

It would be much easier to have called up BA and asked this myself, however I keep getting "our lines are busy right now, please try again later or visit us online blah, blah".

So, in December (before the RFS changes of course), I flew DUS-LHR and in a few weeks I have a tag-on Domestic LHR-EDI. I still intend on going to EDI, but could do with changing the date to work better in my favour.

Considering the first leg has been flown, would this be possible? I paid the full RFS (i.e. 4,500 Avios + Ł17.50) - I remember in the past I part-paid cash on another RFS and that made the ticket un-flexible for whatever reason.

Presuming that it is changeable (if I ever get through to the call centre) will I be lumped with a Ł35 change fee? If so it might be cheaper to hop on EZY!
Old Jul 21, 2015, 2:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I must admit I thought maybe you could still change it but BA terms state otherwise:

16.5. All permitted changes are subject to capacity limitations and must be made a minimum of 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure of the first flight in the Reward travel itinerary.
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...and-conditions

Just as well as you would have also had to deal with this had the booing been made post 28 April:

16.2. For Reward flight bookings made on or after 28th April 2015: where the date applicable to a Reward travel booking is a peak travel date it may be changed provided that the new date selected is also for travel during a peak travel period. Where the originally booked travel date is an off-peak travel date, the date can be changed provided that the new travel date is also an off-peak travel date. Where the originally booked travel date is a peak travel date, the date can be changed to an off-peak travel date. Where a booking is changed from a peak travel period to an off peak travel period, Members will receive a refund either through the local Executive Club service centre when the change is made or by following the process set out on ba.com for changes made online. Date changes are not permitted where the originally booked travel date is an off-peak travel date, and the new travel date is a peak travel date through ba.com, however such changes can be processed through contacting the local Executive Club service centre. Peak and off-peak travel dates are subject to change and can be found on ba.com at the time of booking.
So a new restriction is that you can't change a flight from an off-peak to a peak.

Had you been able to do the change you would have paid the change fee which is Ł35.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Call up and change, Ł35, no problem.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 5:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

Terms say you can't change beyond less than 24 hrs from the first flight though?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by KARFA
Terms say you can't change beyond less than 24 hrs from the first flight though?
Yeah, but sometimes you can ask and you will receive...

T&Cs do not prevent an airline from helping.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That was done away with quite a few years ago now.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Custom and practice now allows these to be changeable per leg provided there is 24 hours before you fly. The T&Cs were enforced until about 3 years ago however. It remains good practice to book as singles if you know this is going to happen since you can then change it online too. The downside of that is 2 loads of cancellation charges if the whole trip gets called off, unless GGL or Prem.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Custom and practice now allows these to be changeable per leg provided there is 24 hours before you fly. The T&Cs were enforced until about 3 years ago however. It remains good practice to book as singles if you know this is going to happen since you can then change it online too. The downside of that is 2 loads of cancellation charges if the whole trip gets called off, unless GGL or Prem.
Not in OP's case, if I'm reading correctly it's a free domestic connection.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I've got something similar to this for April this year, booked before the BAEC changes, VIE-LHR-JER//JER-LHR-VIE. I'll probably fly the first sector, but I'd like to kick the other 3 into the long grass...probably to around April 2017. Would that be possible?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 4:03 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Sorry to bump this up again...but is the above possible, to push the remaining sectors almost a year ahead - after flying the first leg? I'm pretty sure it is, but I'd be grateful if someone knows for sure.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 4:20 am

Programs: BA Gold GGL
The Flyertalk Guide to spending Avios says:

All redemption tickets are valid for 12 months so the final ticketed sector must be completed within 12 months of the ticket issue date.
So headingwest, I think officially you can't do what you'd like. Whether, in practice, a change is made, I can't say.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by Speedbird876
So headingwest, I think officially you can't do what you'd like. Whether, in practice, a change is made, I can't say.
Thanks Speedbird876.

I wonder if I made a time change to the first sector I could then do it. Presumably they'd have to issue a new e-ticket.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 4:28 am

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
Originally Posted by headingwest
Thanks Speedbird876.

I wonder if I made a time change to the first sector I could then do it. Presumably they'd have to issue a new e-ticket.
The snag with that is the first sector needs to be flown within 365 days of the original ticket issue date.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by BLHD
The snag with that is the first sector needs to be flown within 365 days of the original ticket issue date.
Yes, I know. The ticket was issued on 26th April 2015, and I'd change the first flight to around 7th April 2016....and the others to March/April 2017. In theory I imagine it may be possible.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 4:46 am

Programs: BA Gold GGL
Originally Posted by headingwest
Thanks Speedbird876.

I made a change yesterday to a booking booked before the Avios changes.

This was the second change so a new e-ticket had been issued before. The agent could see the original date of booking (or at least guessed so because the booking had a free domestic connection). She was clear that travel had to be within a year of original issue.

None of the flights in my booking had been flown.

So I don't know for sure the answer to your question but these are my experiences.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.