Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA blocking all RJ award inventory

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2016, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!

Had to just book a RJ flight using AAdvantage miles instead. Award availability to oneworld is there.

Called BA several times, they don't seem to care. Tweeted at them, same thing. Asked them to look at LHR-AMM and AQJ-AMM availability across the board, close-in, far-out. Same "no" answer.

Can anyone else confirm?
Old Jan 23, 2016, 9:42 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Checked LHR-AMM route from my RJ account for february. Seats available for everyday except 8th-10th,12th-15th,and 18th.

I thought that possibly RJ allocates more seats for RJ members,than to other OW members,but since you could see availability from your AA account,that does not seem to be the case.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
Checked LHR-AMM route from my RJ account for february. Seats available for everyday except 8th-10th,12th-15th,and 18th.

I thought that possibly RJ allocates more seats for RJ members,than to other OW members,but since you could see availability from your AA account,that does not seem to be the case.
NOthing is available on BA or for BA. AA books fine.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 5:43 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
See previous threads. It isn't that BA are blocking it - it's that BA can't see it - it isn't being displayed for them.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...jordanian.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ds-online.html
Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I tried booking LYS-LON-MAN. ba.com showing zero availability on the date that I want. Both in economy and CE.

I look into aa.com and it offers me all possibilities on BA on the same day!

What gives?
Old Jan 24, 2016, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Look at sectors individually?
Old Jan 24, 2016, 10:07 am

I recall that a few years ago this was common business practice at United: They blocked Star Alliance rewards (or in any case severely limited access to inventory) because the charge they paid to alliance partners was higher than the cost if miles were burnt on their own metal.

Any chance penny pinching at BA may have found a new playing field?
Old Jan 24, 2016, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I tried booking LYS-LON-MAN. ba.com showing zero availability on the date that I want. Both in economy and CE.

What gives?
BA's avios booking engine is rubbish
Old Jan 24, 2016, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy

What gives?
What dates?
Old Jan 24, 2016, 11:25 pm

Programs: QR Silver, BA Silver, FB Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingB1975
I recall that a few years ago this was common business practice at United: They blocked Star Alliance rewards (or in any case severely limited access to inventory) because the charge they paid to alliance partners was higher than the cost if miles were burnt on their own metal.

Any chance penny pinching at BA may have found a new playing field?
If anything, it should be the opposite. BA will charge you their own high YQ for the booking, which the carrier airline does not charge its own Frequent Flyer members -- and, presumably, pocket the difference? They'd still make less, of course, than they would have for a booking on their own flights, but I doubt if BA's already extraordinary level of greed has reached quite such pathological levels.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by husseinbadr
If anything, it should be the opposite. BA will charge you their own high YQ for the booking, which the carrier airline does not charge its own Frequent Flyer members -- and, presumably, pocket the difference? They'd still make less, of course, than they would have for a booking on their own flights, but I doubt if BA's already extraordinary level of greed has reached quite such pathological levels.
BA charges whatever YQ the carrier would itself charge on a revenue booking
Old Jan 25, 2016, 3:21 am

BA only charge YQ on partner redemptions where they operate the same route (i.e. mostly flights that touch London). If you were to book something like ORD-DUS on AB you'd get it without the ridiculous level of YQ.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 9:00 pm

Programs: QR Silver, BA Silver, FB Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
Not sure what you mean by that, but as an unqualified statement, it does not accord with my experience.

Originally Posted by FlyingB1975
BA only charge YQ on partner redemptions where they operate the same route (i.e. mostly flights that touch London). If you were to book something like ORD-DUS on AB you'd get it without the ridiculous level of YQ.
"operate the same route" (including transfers via London) sounds correct. I recently made an award booking AMM-JFK-AMM via BAEC for a friend in J on the non-stop RJ flights, and was charged USD642. The same booking on AAdvantage would have cost USD90. I am unable to check what RJ would have charged its own FF members, but presumably it would not have been more than USD90. I assume (but have not checked) that had the booking been JFK-AMM-JFK rather than AMM-JFK-AMM, BAEC's charges would have been even higher.
Miles-/Avios-wise, the BAEC booking cost 180,000 avios. The AAdvantage booking would have cost 135,000 miles. But that, of course, is another story.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 10:38 pm

I am unable to check what RJ would have charged its own FF members, but presumably it would not have been more than USD90.
598USD+143,640 miles.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
For some reason BA charges less for S7 domestic flights,than S7 to their own FF members.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.