Gold Guest List beginner's guide

Old Jun 24, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott TfL, Hertz 5*
Do I need to have all the Avios for joker booking

Contemplating long haul 3 person trip that I will almost certainly need a Joker for. The other 2 passengers (Gold status) have a ton of Avios and I don't ! So, questions :

1 - Does the free 162K Avios transfer for GGL only apply to outward transfers GGL -> Other or Other > GGL as well ?
2 - Would adding them to my F&F list make a difference (which is already full) ?
3 - I assuming that if we want to travel together in the same cabin, I can only make 1 booking for the 3 of us, presumably only using my Avios ?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Smile

Originally Posted by elricardo
I've just made GGL. In the 10 months it took me I was only upgraded twice. Once on a long haul to First and once on a European flight to Business. In previous years when I typically would average 2,500 - 3,000 tier points I think I got upgraded more.

Will be interesting to see if anything changes but defo think BA has got a lot more stingy on upgrades. They've also got much worse in recognising Gold card holders once onboard.

Agree with all the comments... best thing about GGL will be the 2 x jokers.

Great guide by the way.

Quick update on the topic of recognition... am now 10 days in to GGL and in that time have done a LHR-JFK-IAH-LHR with BA (except for JFK-IAH) in business. No sniff on an upgrade (business was maxed out on both outbound and inbound but a few seats in first), no hello on board. Clearly makes me sound very needy... I'm not... just having slogged it out with a lot of long haul flights with BA this year I thought there would be something more than just the same crappy BA business service and non-recognition.

The joker is good although at the moment the website says I only have 1... I think this is because my year won't renew for a couple of months... And we're going to use the joker(s) for some in school holiday family flights to decent destinations with the upgrade vouchers + amex 2 for 1.

My wife is excited by her gold card and the silver cards will help our kids get more family avios...

But all in all was the slog worth it? I was on one of the old BA747s this last trip... really bad... really old... just slightly better than the leather fans they used to have one they first launched flatbeds. I've done a few flights with Cathay, Eithiad and Virgin this year... all far better than BA. I've also done a few with AA and aside from the dragons in the crew the bed on the 777 300s is better as was the food.

Oh well... my BA app now has a gold iceberg background so it's not all bad...
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Quick update on the topic of recognition... am now 10 days in to GGL and in that time have done a LHR-JFK-IAH-LHR with BA (except for JFK-IAH) in business. No sniff on an upgrade (business was maxed out on both outbound and inbound but a few seats in first), no hello on board. Clearly makes me sound very needy... I'm not... just having slogged it out with a lot of long haul flights with BA this year I thought there would be something more than just the same crappy BA business service and non-recognition.
Please don't expect any additional recognition on board as a GGL, or indeed any priority for upgrades as it won't happen.

The GGL line is a valuable asset, as are the jokers, and generally during IRROPS you'll have an easier time, but don't expect anything on board.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Please don't expect any additional recognition on board as a GGL, or indeed any priority for upgrades as it won't happen.

The GGL line is a valuable asset, as are the jokers, and generally during IRROPS you'll have an easier time, but don't expect anything on board.
Agree wholeheartedly. It's all about the extras that the status brings, not the recognition. I've never been greeted as a GGL since I qualified last year, except for twice at the lounges. My upgrade rate has skyrocketed, however, but I'm pretty sure that's more to do with the routes I fly and the days i fly them. Enjoy getting the most out of your family status and the Joker/GUF combos!
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: BAEC GfL/GGL/CCR, BA Amex, Quidco, IHG Spire, Hotels.com Reinstated Gold)
Apologies if my search through this long and informative thread has missed the answer I seek. Last year I made a reward booking including 2 Amex 241's, (1 of mine and 1 of Mrs O's).

Now I am not certain whether I used a Joker last year, but I have just made a new Joker booking and was told that I could ONLY use Amex vouchers in my name, as it was a Joker based on my account; and could not add my wife's to one of mine.

Does that sound accurate? Did I get lucky last year, or unlucky this year?

Thanks
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:45 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
The joker is good although at the moment the website says I only have 1... I think this is because my year won't renew for a couple of months...

You almost certainly have 2 jokers (unless you have used one). It is a bit confusing but as far as I recall the text "Gold Guest List Redemption (1)" means the 1st GGL redemption (of two jokers). "Gold Guest List Redemption (2)" would be the next benefit (one more joker) at 6000 TPs.

{Still waiting for my TPs to post ... I think some chasing up is necessary!}
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by GinFizz
You almost certainly have 2 jokers (unless you have used one). It is a bit confusing but as far as I recall the text "Gold Guest List Redemption (1)" means the 1st GGL redemption (of two jokers). "Gold Guest List Redemption (2)" would be the next benefit (one more joker) at 6000 TPs.

{Still waiting for my TPs to post ... I think some chasing up is necessary!}
Yes, (1) = 2 and (2) = 1

Simples
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:40 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Excuse my ignorance here ... I have been GGL for 4 years and have never seen "Gold Guest List Redemption" text online on my account ...

Could you tell me where i can find this information on my account?

Thanks
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by deboyzoned
Excuse my ignorance here ... I have been GGL for 4 years and have never seen "Gold Guest List Redemption" text online on my account ...

Could you tell me where i can find this information on my account?

Thanks
On your BAEC homepage, expand the section on "Your Gold Guest List benefits"

Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:50 am
Suspended

Thanks Karfa, however when i expand, i see the section "Your next benefit is" .... but i do not see a section "Benefits earned".

Just to clarify ... the 2 Jokers should appear as "Gold Guest List Redemption (1)" right?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:53 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Omba
Apologies if my search through this long and informative thread has missed the answer I seek. Last year I made a reward booking including 2 Amex 241's, (1 of mine and 1 of Mrs O's).

Now I am not certain whether I used a Joker last year, but I have just made a new Joker booking and was told that I could ONLY use Amex vouchers in my name, as it was a Joker based on my account; and could not add my wife's to one of mine.

Does that sound accurate? Did I get lucky last year, or unlucky this year?

Thanks
I'd like to know if this has now become a thing as well? Sounds strange to me.

Are you and your wife in a HHA?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by deboyzoned
Thanks Karfa, however when i expand, i see the section "Your next benefit is" .... but i do not see a section "Benefits earned".

Just to clarify ... the 2 Jokers should appear as "Gold Guest List Redemption (1)" right?
Yes the two jokers given at GGL renewal are "Gold Guest List Redemption (1)"
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes the two jokers given at GGL renewal are "Gold Guest List Redemption (1)"
Hi Karfa, thanks for the clarification. I still do not see that section :-(.

However just spoke to a very nice gentleman on the GGL line and he informed me that no-one can see that information online on their account. When i mentioned that some people can see this information (based on your screenshot) he was surprised. So he will ask the IT team to investigate.

And he also confirmed that i still have 1 joker left out of my 2 :-)
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:18 am

Programs: BAEC GfL/GGL/CCR, BA Amex, Quidco, IHG Spire, Hotels.com Reinstated Gold)
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I'd like to know if this has now become a thing as well? Sounds strange to me.

Are you and your wife in a HHA?
Yes, in a HHA
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
It's all about the extras that the status brings, not the recognition. I've never been greeted as a GGL since I qualified last year, except for twice at the lounges.
I qualified for GGL at the end of April and have taken 5 BA sectors - all short haul and most in Traveller - since then and been greeted on all but one of one. That one outlier was a fully loaded MAN. Perhaps I'm getting lucky.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.