Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Guest List beginner's guide

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2016, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by oxtailsoup
Question regarding the million $ door at T5. If you have a CCR card, will they allow you and your family (I.e. Probably more than your lounge entitlement) through the door and then visit the correct lounges that your party is entitled to once you are through?
I would guess not.

I imagine that demand for entry via this door will decrease when the separate security checkpoint that will feed directly into the main lounge area is built, though I've not heard any updates on this since it was announced several months ago.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Question regarding the million $ door at T5. If you have a CCR card, will they allow you and your family (I.e. Probably more than your lounge entitlement) through the door and then visit the correct lounges that your party is entitled to once you are through?
Officially, no. Was allowed once as one of us was in a wheelchair, but even then she had to check with the receptionist inside.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Another benefit of GGL is that you receive the Special Services treatment on arrival and departure from Dubai. Provided by Marhaba. Meet and greet, including golf buggy transfer, immigration assistance (fast track), porter assistance etc.
Interesting, I didn't know. Is anyone aware of anything similar at another airport?
Old Jan 17, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
My understanding is that they would not, I think it would make it very difficult for them to justify declining the same to anyone else also not entitled to use the CCR, ie the door is not a fast track to the lounge area but an entrance to CCR.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Originally Posted by orbitmic
My understanding is that they would not, I think it would make it very difficult for them to justify declining the same to anyone else also not entitled to use the CCR, ie the door is not a fast track to the lounge area but an entrance to CCR.
Fair enough. Hoping to hit 5000 next month so it will be the first time I've had the CCR card.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 10:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Many thanks for continuing your work on this dylanks.

In the "typical qualification history" bit, it may be worth pointing out that getting GGL/CCR is somewhat easier for those connecting. So someone doing a NCL-LHR-HEL return just twice a month (for example) would qualify for CCR.

You can add that Prems can qualify for GGL benefit in the usual TP earning way (for the additional baubles such as GUFs).

The Special Services bit: DXB isn't absolute, it's on a best endeavours basis (but is more often than not). India generally gets Special Service style meet and greet, arriving and departing. Miami, Singapore, JFK and to a lesser extent LAX too, but there is only one SS on duty for each of these stations (2 at NY in the evenings) and so particularly for LAX you can generally assume not to get assistance.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
So someone doing a NCL-LHR-HEL return just twice a month (for example) would qualify for CCR.
Surely in BUK/CE?!
Old Jan 17, 2016, 11:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BA6501
Surely in BUK/CE?!
Well yes, is there another way of travelling?

(It doesn't need to be BUK, the CE ticket will lift the domestic sector at relatively little extra cost)
Old Jan 17, 2016, 12:23 pm

The Special Services bit: DXB isn't absolute, it's on a best endeavours basis (but is more often than not). India generally gets Special Service style meet and greet, arriving and departing. Miami, Singapore, JFK and to a lesser extent LAX too, but there is only one SS on duty for each of these stations (2 at NY in the evenings) and so particularly for LAX you can generally assume not to get assistance.
I've never had it at JFK (quite a few flights either O/D or transiting there) or SIN, so I wonder if it is really a generic GGL/CCR benefit or only for a sub-set of particularly good clients like yourself?

Doing MIA with BA a couple of times in the next two months (I usually tend to choose AA so the BA version will be new to me!) so will see if I am luckier there.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: BAEC GfL/GGL/CCR, BA Amex, Quidco, IHG Spire, Hotels.com Reinstated Gold)
I tried it once as a CCR with a GCH and three kids, expecting to tell the kids to walk round, and not only were we all allowed through, we were all invited to stay in the CCR. It was for a late evening LCA flight and they weren't busy, but an unexpectedly welcome start to a break
Old Jan 17, 2016, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks corporate-wage-slave for the info on special services.

Regarding premier, did you simply mean that someone who received premier status can earn GGL, CCR, and the extra benefits as a normal status holder would, or something else?
Old Jan 17, 2016, 2:48 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by dylanks

Regarding premier, did you simply mean that someone who received premier status can earn GGL, CCR, and the extra benefits as a normal status holder would, or something else?
A Prem would need to collect TPs in order to earn GUFs and suchlike.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
A Prem would need to collect TPs in order to earn GUFs and suchlike.
Until very recently Prems didn't get things like partner cards and other GGL benefits, they do now. But for the 3.5k GUFs and the 7k to 9k TP rewards then they can achieve them via the usual TP route (this is not new). They don't change to become GGL, other than the dear old BA computer spits out a new Concorde Card with each multiple of 5k TP you earn in a membership year regardless of status.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Until very recently Prems didn't get things like partner cards and other GGL benefits, they do now. But for the 3.5k GUFs and the 7k to 9k TP rewards then they can achieve them via the usual TP route (this is not new). They don't change to become GGL, other than the dear old BA computer spits out a new Concorde Card with each multiple of 5k TP you earn in a membership year regardless of status.
Added a short note at the bottom of the guide for premier members. I'm sure it can be more precise.

Also I'm probably over-reading what you wrote, but your last comment implies a second CCR card at 10k TP which I assume is not really the case?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 6:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
... Also I'm probably over-reading what you wrote, but your last comment implies a second CCR card at 10k TP which I assume is not really the case?
When you hit 10,000, 15,000 TPs etc a new CCR Card is automatically issued - or more accurately re-issued, it's a bug in the system. It is not an additional card! I'd not mention this in your OP as it is likely to cause confusion and there are relatively few of us who exceed the 9999 annual TP mark.

Last edited by Tobias-UK; Jan 18, 2016 at 6:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.