Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Temporary BA Lounge at LGW North - No. 1 Lounge - Photos, reviews, questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Temporary BA Lounge at LGW North - No. 1 Traveller Lounge - Photos, reviews, questions

The thread is to share experiences, photos, reviews and questions of the temporary lounge in London Gatwick (LGW) North Terminal.

This thread has been created as a partner thread to this discussion, which is a more suitable place to discuss the broader issues relating to the move to the South terminal:
BA to move to LGW South Terminal Nov 2016

Update 14 April 2016
25 January 2017 is the official opening date of the new lounge in LGW.

"The new lounge will have more space with better facilities and the location will offer impressive views across the runway. The new lounge will also have full kitchen facilities and an exclusive area for our First customers and Gold Executive Club members."

Thanks to Happytohelp for this intel
Print Wikipost

Temporary BA Lounge at LGW North - No. 1 Lounge - Photos, reviews, questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I was in the No. 1 lounge on its opening day as a BA lounge.
This looks like a very pleasant lounge.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mattking2000
but as an aside, Canadian Amex plat holders get one free guest per PP visit
Same for UK Amex Plat holders.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
C-W-S has certainly laid some of my fears to rest (thanks C-W-S, great job as ever), the lack of the free bubbly will not impress Mrs Gaxxy but she does love beans on toast and I love a fish finger sandwich so seems a fair swap, as long as it's temporary and it's not enhanced away in South Terminal!
Old Jan 5, 2016, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

There are in fact two of them here today!
Yes, but will they be around on the peak days that have already been identified? My money is that by, say Feb 11th they will have decided that all is fine and dandy, before all hell breaks loose the next afternoon...

As someone who has spent £££s buying 5 J class long haul tickets (with cold hard cash) ex-LGW for a Saturday in August, I will be keeping a keen eye on this. From what I can see the dining options in the public area seem rather lacking...
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Yes, but will they be around on the peak days that have already been identified? My money is that by, say Feb 11th they will have decided that all is fine and dandy, before all hell breaks loose the next afternoon...

As someone who has spent £££s buying 5 J class long haul tickets (with cold hard cash) ex-LGW for a Saturday in August, I will be keeping a keen eye on this. From what I can see the dining options in the public area seem rather lacking...
Not to sound defeatist but what good will "keeping an eye on it" do you? If it's busy, it's busy. I've also got x4 J Class long haul paid for tickets from LGW soon but my take on it is hat whilst it isn't ideal, the situation is not going to change

My Plan B has been to forewarn our group that it might be ropey and we may need to go elsewhere in the terminal to eat/drink. Plenty of Tattinger on the plane
Old Jan 5, 2016, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Bobbie2013
Not to sound defeatist but what good will "keeping an eye on it" do you? If it's busy, it's busy. I've also got x4 J Class long haul paid for tickets from LGW soon but my take on it is hat whilst it isn't ideal, the situation is not going to change

My Plan B has been to forewarn our group that it might be ropey and we may need to go elsewhere in the terminal to eat/drink. Plenty of Tattinger on the plane
Erm, keeping an eye on it means I can be better prepared when we arrive at the airport, potentially staying landside until 45 or 60 mins before departure, rather than thinking we can get comfortable in the lounge. Some clearly believe that the latter is possible - i'm thinking the wheels will fly off as soon as the school holidays arrive, but happy to be proved wrong and find that BA have contingency plans in place.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Erm, keeping an eye on it means I can be better prepared when we arrive at the airport, potentially staying landside until 45 or 60 mins before departure, rather than thinking we can get comfortable in the lounge. Some clearly believe that the latter is possible - i'm thinking the wheels will fly off as soon as the school holidays arrive, but happy to be proved wrong and find that BA have contingency plans in place.
I share your scepticism!

From what C-W-S has been kind enough to post, the lounge facilities don't appear too bad, though the lack of self-medicating - I mean self-pouring - booze is a bore and for First passengers or Golds on long haul to have to pay for a glass of fizz is ridiculous. Let's hope the imperfect arrangements are merely an interlude to, and not prelude of, what's to come with the move South.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by BA235
I share your scepticism!

From what C-W-S has been kind enough to post, the lounge facilities don't appear too bad, though the lack of self-medicating - I mean self-pouring - booze is a bore and for First passengers or Golds on long haul to have to pay for a glass of fizz is ridiculous. Let's hope the imperfect arrangements are merely an interlude to, and not prelude of, what's to come with the move South.
I totally agree. And for the best part of a (if not a full) year.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:20 am

BA now offering either No 1 or My Lounge at LGW North

I am at LGW North this morning. There was a bit of a queue at the lounge corridor entrance. At the desk I was offered to use either No 1 or My Lounge so it looks like they've anticipated that No 1 will be too small to house everyone!
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:47 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by binary0110
I am at LGW North this morning. There was a bit of a queue at the lounge corridor entrance. At the desk I was offered to use either No 1 or My Lounge so it looks like they've anticipated that No 1 will be too small to house everyone!
That's a positive ^

Now what's the champagne situation in MyLounge?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:52 am

Programs: BAEC
Thanks for the photos CWS, I like the look of it and I love fish finger sandwiches! (You can take the lad out of the North-east but you can't take the North-east out of the lad). I have a holiday booked in March (not school holiday time) from LGW in CE and look forward to my early morning visit. I have an open mind about the situation and I'm not that fussed about the champagne issue, I'll just drink whatever is free. Cheers!
Old Jan 6, 2016, 3:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by binary0110
What is the difference between No1 & My Lounge?

Can you move between the two?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
What is the difference between No1 & My Lounge?

Can you move between the two?
No. MyLounge is an attempt to create a Hoxton coffee shop vibe inside an airport. It works quite well on that benchmark. It even has a table football table.

My main criticism is that they took it too far, for example everything is served in paper cups and paper bowls (for porridge!).

If you would rather slit your wrists than hang around hipster coffee shops at the weekend then it isn't the place for you. I liked it, but I lived in East London for years and lived in (and still own) a warehouse conversion flat on the Thames, so it is up my street despite my advancing years.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 2:45 am
Suspended

Apologies for any tautology as did not read rest of the thread.

- When you get to the entrance to the lounges BA have a lounge service desk now. I was encouraged to go to mylounge as N01 was eceptionally busy. However no hot food in Mylounge
- N01 staff are very pleasant and welcoming
- One hot food dish per visit, order at bar, served within 5 minutes
- Bacon roll not a patch on First lounge
- It's busy and noisy (930am) but lots of space away from bar
- Some people are complaining at bar about no free champers but are paying 8 pounds
- The cold buffet is better than Galleries
- Wifi is very very slow / congested
- Limited power sockets

Last edited by JezQuiggley; Jan 7, 2016 at 3:01 am
Old Jan 7, 2016, 3:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by JezQuiggley
additional dishes are 4 pounds in N01 lounge
I think that's only enforced if you order several items at once. If you order items with a decent gap between them then they'll keep on coming!

For the power - there are loads of sockets along the Library wall, and a long table with sockets by the office. And multiple sockets along the back of the buffet. There are a lot more sockets in No. 1 than in Galleries, probably more than twice as many.

[It's interesting about it being busy this morning - I only turned up on Tuesday in the afternoon]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.