Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pilot37
This is a "clinic" thread, so a great way to find out how to go via Dublin Airport en route to somewhere else (probably!). It covers issues such as back to back flights, overnight stopovers, passport and security issues, and logistical issues. There have been some recent posts about the viability of back to back trips, for which more reports of recent experiences would be helpful. See post 1468 onwards for more information.

Other threads which may well be useful include:
BA Tier Point Runs 2017
Premium Fare deals (J and F)
Ex-Mainland Europe Travel Planning Guide
Back-to-back / Immediate Turnarounds at BA Destinations
Travel with BA from Cork, Shannon and Knock - a pictorial guide

These sorts of flight arrangements aren't for everyone. If you have a family and luggage to check in, the potential cost savings have to weighed against the additional hassle and risk. Generally speaking it is safest to go either back to back or overnight - the latter is easier with checked luggage. The underlying logic for this is in this post.
Print Wikipost

Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2016, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I wouldn't do any of those options.

QR has a sale ex CDG at the moment. TYO available for €1800 (Ł1300 ish) in J. QR's A380 from CDG-DOH as well. Book by 10th Jan.

http://www.qatarairways.com/fr/fr/of...promotion.page
If you can get the dates I agree.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 3:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Ziz
Could it also be because going East there are (often) cheap options like Qatar from LHR to choose from?
Indeed it could and that is no doubt another of the many reasons.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 4:26 am

Thank you corporate-wage-slave, fourspoons, Blueboys999, Cymro and Wozza2404.

The QR sale looks of interest. Still early days for a booking but might see if I can get something in a forthcoming sale.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 4:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Doing my first back to back today BA828/829 at the start of an EX Dub trip to the US, hoping all goes well...........
Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:19 am

Programs: BA, QR status varies from rags to riches - now gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by jcm9000
Decided on reflection not to so dub it is and an overnight stop. I may be being over cautious, but it does mean a night in the Bruxelles bar hammering my favourite beer Hoegaarden with a fellow fter instead. Selfish, yes, regrets, no, as sometimes you just need a night out. .
You just brought on a touch of nostalgia there jcm9000 My first job at aged 13 was a Lounge Boy at The Bruxelles. Got 13 quid for my first weeks wages. That Saturday, went to the Dandelion Market, bought two albums, then went to see an up and coming band called U2, paying 30p at the door..
Different times. Now in The Middle East - SIGH...
Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:50 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Originally Posted by Grantosol
You just brought on a touch of nostalgia there jcm9000 My first job at aged 13 was a Lounge Boy at The Bruxelles. Got 13 quid for my first weeks wages. That Saturday, went to the Dandelion Market, bought two albums, then went to see an up and coming band called U2, paying 30p at the door..
Different times. Now in The Middle East - SIGH...
^. it is a grand place for tourists like me, as long as they keep hoe on tap i'll be back! Im just a beer tart really... Long may ex-dubs continue so i have an excuse as hoe has disappeared from every bar in glasgow as far as i can tell.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by shadowline
Thank you corporate-wage-slave, fourspoons, Blueboys999, Cymro and Wozza2404.

The QR sale looks of interest. Still early days for a booking but might see if I can get something in a forthcoming sale.
The QR option is not only cheaper, it is better from a TP view.
LHR-NRT (non-stop) earns 140TP in business one way
CDG-DOH-NRT earns 280TP (140TPs x 2) in business one way
One CDG-DOH-NRT return will earn you 560TPs. That is 40TPS away from BA Silver (or one third of my way to Gold is how I view this).
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:34 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, IHG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Wembleygal
I also have a 2 hr connection at DUB on a separate ticket in Club Europe (should be Silver by then) ... curious to see how safe this is ...
With more reflection, I think I'll take it easy and overnight in DUB and take a mid-morning back to LHR the following day, especially as we will have checked bags. We're going to overnight in DUB prior to our DUB-LHR-YVR too, extra nights away and should be a lot less stressful.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:42 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Long connection in DUB - bags checked through?

I have an ex-DUB itinerary returning BOS-LHR-DUB in the morning (arriving about 09:30). This is wrapped in LHR-DUB-LCY (leaves DUB about 17:00). I anticipate being able to check bags through BOS-LHR-DUB-LCY, which has been possible before (LAX-LHR-DUB-LCY with AA checkin staff and a shorter connection). I intend to go into Dublin and wish to be unencumbered with bags.

So what I am interested in is: will DUB be able to store bags for that long? Do they have any unusually short limits on connection times with through bags?

I know this is a self-constructed connection, but given it's BA-BA I expect most staff to be cooperative.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by dontflymuch
With more reflection, I think I'll take it easy and overnight in DUB and take a mid-morning back to LHR the following day, especially as we will have checked bags. We're going to overnight in DUB prior to our DUB-LHR-YVR too, extra nights away and should be a lot less stressful.
Good choice, take the bus (aircoach or double decker if you are a big kid like me and like to sit at the front upstairs - aircoach is quicker though) and head downtown for a fun evening! The buses run back to the airport at all times and are still decently frequent at 2am to stagger back to the Radisson!
Old Jan 5, 2016, 7:50 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
For what it's worth, I would generally not recommend back to back at DUB for non-EU/UK passport holders. The wait time at Passport control is pretty variable (I've waited anywhere from 0-60 minutes via DUB in 2015). So far I've always done an overnight stay, though I'm splitting up the DUB-LHR-PHX on a trip in July as I need to be in London on Friday evening. I scheduled 4 hours between inbound and outbound at DUB (planning to have a quick meeting at the airport if things are on-time!). Except for extraordinary circumstances this should be enough time, and in extraordinary circumstances I'll take my chances that BA will assist, or worst case, travel insurance will cover it.

One other suggestion, if you're going to do this frequently as an American, make sure you get the larger passport or an Irish visa, due to the very large Irish passport stamp!

Other tips for the Radisson:
* The hotel is currently undergoing renovation. The new rooms are much better than the old ones. If you book through their website they give you a choice of welcome gifts (late checkout, dessert, pressing of a shirt, etc.)
* They offer bidding for suite upgrades. While it's not usually worth it, it is a way to guarantee getting a renovated room
* I find it is always faster to walk to the hotel than to wait for the shuttle, but then faster to take the shuttle to the terminal. If walking, just exit the terminal, turn right, walk under terminal 2, and then walk until you see the hotel. The same is true for the Maldron, though it's much easier to see the Radisson (Maldron is across from the Radisson)
* Obviously there are much better hotels in Dublin, but the airport hotels are very convenient if you have an early morning departure.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, IHG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jcm9000
Good choice, take the bus (aircoach or double decker if you are a big kid like me and like to sit at the front upstairs - aircoach is quicker though) and head downtown for a fun evening! The buses run back to the airport at all times and are still decently frequent at 2am to stagger back to the Radisson!
I'm sold, now we'll have a night out in DUB before and after, may even stay in the City too as the buses/coaches are frequent.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by dontflymuch
I'm sold, now we'll have a night out in DUB before and after, may even stay in the City too as the buses/coaches are frequent.
That's the spirit! I've found some good rates at the Buswells hotel before, aircoach from airport stops right round the corner with coach to airport 5 mins away on the next parallel street.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Given the speed this thread is moving, is it worth adding a "DUB Meet Up" Wiki at the top?
Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Given the speed this thread is moving, is it worth adding a "DUB Meet Up" Wiki at the top?
Yup, a never ending DUB do...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.