Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread

Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pilot37
This is a "clinic" thread, so a great way to find out how to go via Dublin Airport en route to somewhere else (probably!). It covers issues such as back to back flights, overnight stopovers, passport and security issues, and logistical issues. There have been some recent posts about the viability of back to back trips, for which more reports of recent experiences would be helpful. See post 1468 onwards for more information.

Other threads which may well be useful include:
BA Tier Point Runs 2017
Premium Fare deals (J and F)
Ex-Mainland Europe Travel Planning Guide
Back-to-back / Immediate Turnarounds at BA Destinations
Travel with BA from Cork, Shannon and Knock - a pictorial guide

These sorts of flight arrangements aren't for everyone. If you have a family and luggage to check in, the potential cost savings have to weighed against the additional hassle and risk. Generally speaking it is safest to go either back to back or overnight - the latter is easier with checked luggage. The underlying logic for this is in this post.
Print Wikipost

Ex DUB logistics and positioning | clinic thread

Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: BA silver, Hilton diamond, Marriott titanium, IHG platinum
Ex DUB travelling planning | 2016 clinic thread

Just booked ex DUB to SAN/HNL/LAX/YYZ, through LHR on BA and AA metal for a staggering saving. Wouldn't dream of dropping the last leg, but it is easy to nip home to EDI...
I'd like EI to put a few jets on to EDI rather than Stobart regional. But the big question is what happens when EI is fully integrated and is back into One World.
Will DUB retain its amazing value? Or are we near the end of ex DUB bargains?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:11 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Who knows? They may continue they may not.

exCPH is still decent value though.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA silver, Hilton diamond, Marriott titanium, IHG platinum
Ex DUB travelling planning | 2016 clinic thread

Yup, easy EDI-CPH. That's plan B...
Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:21 pm

I'm exploring going ex-DUB for a trip late this year. First time I dip into this, and want to check I'm doing this correctly. I'm based in London and want to go to Tokyo. Looking at Y or J. Obviously would rather the latter!

Dummy booking for dates in Nov;

Y, ex-LON, £685
Y, ex-DUB, £485
Y, ex-OSL, £420

J, ex-LON, £2046
J, ex-DUB, £1604
J, ex-OSL, £1706

Do those prices/savings look right?

Majority of chatter on FT re ex-DUB I see tends to be for those heading West - is there a reason for this?

Thanks
Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:42 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by shadowline
Y, ex-OSL, £420
I'll just make my usual point that the capital of Norway, as far as this forum is concerned, is SVG. Or maybe it's BGO. The cheapest I can see is £1589, SVG-HND/NRT-DUB, most dates available in November.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 6:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Majority of chatter on FT re ex-DUB I see tends to be for those heading West - is there a reason for this?
I think its because the savings to be made are comparatively much less than going West. Your findings demonstrate that - saving £200 on your Y fare by going ex-DUB is very borderline on being worth the hassle for me.

By comparison, I am going to LAS in Y in June, ex-LHR was £900, ex-DUB was £351...........Now that certainly is worth the hassle, especially when I am buying 5 tickets!
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by Richmond_Surrey
QueenOfCoach these example are of serial offenders in USA but what's AA stance when last leg is on different carrier outside of USA? When you fly USA-LHR-Europe. Also flights could be ticketed on AA but are on BA/EI metal. A lot of combinations.
I do not know.

You might want to ask the folks over at the friendly, helpful AA forum and get some better answers.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al

A lot of the itineraries you see are predominantly TP runs rather than just trips making the most of low fares (some of course are both). There is much greater scope to maximize TP's in the US because of the generous levels for domestic F segments over there. Those opportunities aren't there when you fly East.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:56 pm

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus Gold for Life, SPG Plat Elite
Ex Dub repositioning back to LHR disappears

Booked a reposition flight from DUB to LHR on BA829 on 23 July at 14h15 sometime ago and booked seats. Then seats disappeared when flight was changed to 14h00 but unable to re-book seats. This flight has now disappeared from the schedule.
No message from BA and the GGL cannot help.
Has anyone any clues as to when will they decide if BA829 is reappearing or they are rebooking me? Or do I need to do something.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:19 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
A lot of the itineraries you see are predominantly TP runs rather than just trips making the most of low fares (some of course are both). There is much greater scope to maximize TP's in the US because of the generous levels for domestic F segments over there. Those opportunities aren't there when you fly East.
Could it also be because going East there are (often) cheap options like Qatar from LHR to choose from?
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:29 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I'm exploring going ex-DUB for a trip late this year. First time I dip into this, and want to check I'm doing this correctly. I'm based in London and want to go to Tokyo. Looking at Y or J. Obviously would rather the latter!

Y, ex-LON, £685
Y, ex-DUB, £485
Y, ex-OSL, £420

J, ex-LON, £2046
J, ex-DUB, £1604
J, ex-OSL, £1706

Thanks
Y pricing sounds right.

J can be done cheaper out of Milan - just over £1,400 on AY and BA, with lots of availability.

Generally I find that Asia is cheapest out of Italy and Spain for some reason, unless flying Qatar anyway.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dontflymuch
I'm flying DUB-LHR-YVR/SFO-LHR-DUB (LHR-YVR UUA to F on A380 and quite looking forward to it already, I'm a big kid) in August and on the return get back to DUB at 18.45, will there be enough time to collect baggage and re-check to make the 20.45 back to LHR, I'm thinking it would be safer to overnight in DUB, but wondering what others thoughts are of a 2hr connection at DUB on a separate ticket. I did tell Mrs dontflymuch it was hand baggage only, but she just laughed!

I also have a 2 hr connection at DUB on a separate ticket in Club Europe (should be Silver by then) ... curious to see how safe this is ...
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:55 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Wembleygal
I also have a 2 hr connection at DUB on a separate ticket in Club Europe (should be Silver by then) ... curious to see how safe this is ...
Since people doing B2B make it in 45min connections, I'd say you're safe as long as the flight is not delayed by more than 1h15.

With fast track and being first to disembark, it has taken me between 8min (summer) and 13min (Christmas) from doors open to back at the gate. Brisk walking though.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
... as long as there is no baggage to collect.

I'd probably still take that connection unless missing the flight meant I couldn't get back to where I needed to be, or would be offloaded on a long haul.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 3:09 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)

Y, ex-LON, £685
Y, ex-DUB, £485
Y, ex-OSL, £420

J, ex-LON, £2046
J, ex-DUB, £1604
J, ex-OSL, £1706

Thanks
I wouldn't do any of those options.

QR has a sale ex CDG at the moment. TYO available for €1800 (£1300 ish) in J. QR's A380 from CDG-DOH as well. Book by 10th Jan.

http://www.qatarairways.com/fr/fr/of...promotion.page

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.