Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2016

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2016, 8:56 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by BA-Flyer
Does anyone know the current taxes and fees for an Avios redemption, from Dublin to Boston (return)?

I found a website mentioning under £100, but that was dated 2015 so may have changed.
You can work this out by finding the same flights on ITA Matrix and calculating the total non fare components.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 7:08 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
[I'm sure that I've seen this asked and answered somewhere, but can't come up with any search term that finds it]

I have an upcoming trip (BA-IB) booked using Avios on Iberia.com (because ba.com didn't have any availability on the IB leg), so obviously it has my IB number (non-status) attached.

I'd now like to get my BAEC number in there, so I can preselect seats.

How?

Thanks
more digging around the forum provided the answer - finnair.com
Old Oct 19, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hello. I've got 140k avios I'm keen to use. How could I use them wisely to get two of us to the East cost US this year in club?

Thanks in advance
JF
Old Oct 19, 2016, 8:33 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JackFlash
Hello. I've got 140k avios I'm keen to use. How could I use them wisely to get two of us to the East cost US this year in club?

Thanks in advance
JF
You don't have enough for two people with a standard award.
LHR-JFK return in J is 120k/100k avios peak/offpeak plus taxes/fees/charges for one person.

You could book a WTP ticket and UuA which would be 40k/48k avios peak/offpeak return plus additional taxes/fees/charges per person, plus the underlying WTP tickets.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by nux
You don't have enough for two people with a standard award.
LHR-JFK return in J is 120k/100k avios peak/offpeak plus taxes/fees/charges for one person.

You could book a WTP ticket and UuA which would be 40k/48k avios peak/offpeak return plus additional taxes/fees/charges per person, plus the underlying WTP tickets.
Thanks nux - that sounds sensible.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:49 am
j2k

Need help in booking for 2 of us during eve's
110000 avios available, mid-long range preferred, departing from Milan.

Thank you guys
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:26 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2k
Need help in booking for 2 of us during eve's
110000 avios available, mid-long range preferred, departing from Milan.

Thank you guys

What routes/options have you found so far?
Old Oct 22, 2016, 6:21 am

Apologies if this has been asked before...
I am looking to book a reward flight MAN to DXB in F in November. There is no availability on BA at this late stage, but found availability via BA site for QF flights. This got me thinking, is it possible to book reward flights on EK using Avios? I have found some availability on the QF website for flights on EK. If I call up BA and give them the QF flight numbers for these flights, will it be possible to book them with Avios.
Like I say, I'm sure I've read about this somewhere before but can't find it.
Thanks
JD
Old Oct 22, 2016, 6:23 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jonnyjd
Apologies if this has been asked before...
I am looking to book a reward flight MAN to DXB in F in November. There is no availability on BA at this late stage, but found availability via BA site for QF flights. This got me thinking, is it possible to book reward flights on EK using Avios? I have found some availability on the QF website for flights on EK. If I call up BA and give them the QF flight numbers for these flights, will it be possible to book them with Avios.
No. Emirates is not a BA award partner.

You can book a revenue QF codeshare flight operated by EK which would earn avios and TPs, or use QF points to book an EK operated award flight.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:36 am
j2k

Originally Posted by nux
What routes/options have you found so far?

Was looking into LIN-DKR that seems to return nice fares, but no way to book 2 tickets at the same time. Any other route suggested?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:20 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2k
Was looking into LIN-DKR that seems to return nice fares, but no way to book 2 tickets at the same time. Any other route suggested?
By 'nice fares' are you looking at cash tickets or award seats?

If you are based in Milan and looking for award flights then the first step would be to look for availability ex-Milan. This limits your possible first segment to:
EI to DUB
AB to TXL/DUS
BA to LHR
IB to MAD
HG to VIE
AA to MIA/JFK
CX to HKG
AY to HEL
QR to DOH
VY to ALC/AMS/BCN/LPA/ORY

I would suggest searching by segment to check for 2x award seats to any of the above that interest you, or to a hub where you can connect onwards.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 5:14 am

Programs: BA
I've been researching how to spend my ~180K avios and BA Amex 2-4-1. We're looking at a trip in April/May next year and are flexible with destinations. Hoping to book an open-jaw to Asia, US/Canada or Mexico/US with at least one leg in F. We've never flown long-haul F and unlikely to again so looking to make the most of it.

Do any experienced flyers have tips with bagging reward flights to these areas? I've read the general tips and checked many different permutations on BA.com but wonder if there are any pitfalls I can avoid? Also, how helpful is the BA booking team, do they help with options like a travel agent would?

Thanks guys

Edit - based in the UK

Last edited by MGB1979; Oct 25, 2016 at 5:21 am
Old Oct 25, 2016, 4:59 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by MGB1979
I've been researching how to spend my ~180K avios and BA Amex 2-4-1.
Also, how helpful is the BA booking team, do they help with options like a travel agent would?
I’m no expert having done relatively few redemptions and only one with a 2-4-1, but:

- Yes, Asia and US have availability. If you really want to go to HKG in F, book a year ahead, call up to book the return leg. I’ve done it so it must be possible! F is not available on all routes (eg I’d like to do BKK in F but it’s impossible)
- The tickets are flexible, so book something, but feel free to change it.
- Openjaw on 2-4-1 is only by phone (AFAIK) but I had no problems and was charged no fees.
- The BA booking team have been *wonderful* to me on the occasions I’ve called up re. a redemption (and, indeed, every other time I’ve called)
- You could Openjaw a RTW with a 2-4-1, eg LHR - HRT/NRD on BA, cross-pacific with someone else (eg via HNL), home from LAX on BA in F...?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 2:33 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by memesweeper
I’m no expert having done relatively few redemptions and only one with a 2-4-1, but:
Thank you very much, that's very helpful
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:38 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Am I able to book a multi-sector open-jaw redemption booking if I phone up?

For example KWI-DOH-SYD/SYD-DOH-VIE on one ticket?

I imagine it's possible but I've never tried before.

Last edited by headingwest; Oct 26, 2016 at 7:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.