Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2016

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: Budding BA Bronze, MPC Gold
Could anyone recommend any good (cheap) ex-EU departures for either Tampa or Miami?

Thanks.
Old May 16, 2016, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by yokozuma
Could anyone recommend any good (cheap) ex-EU departures for either Tampa or Miami?

Thanks.
Using avios? You will still pay in avios per segment. If you are talking about an ex-EU (presumably CW) cash fare then look at these threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ing-guide.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...deals-j-f.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...er-thread.html
Old May 17, 2016, 3:42 am
nvh

Just wanted to confirm where I think I've gone wrong.

I have a BA ticket (125), but it consists of:
- BA metal and BA flight numbers
- BA metal and IB flight numbers
- AA metal and AA flight numbers

Having noticed avios availability had opened up for LHR - BOS (IB flight number on BA metal), I phoned to enquire about UUA for just that leg (of the six legs on the ticket)

I was told I couldn't as it was an IB flight number and that the ticket also contained AA flights.

From my understandingly the first post on this thread, that isn't true, and the real reason I couldn't upgrade was because my IB flight number was in I class. And I can only upgrade from J, D and H(?)

Is that true? Or would that have been if it was IB metal too

Thanks in advance hope I've made some sense

Last edited by nvh; May 17, 2016 at 3:46 am Reason: Accidentally posted my query incomplete as I was getting chased by a massive bee
Old May 17, 2016, 3:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nvh
Just wanted to confirm where I think I've gone wrong.

I have a BA ticket (125), but it consists of:
- BA metal and BA flight numbers
- BA metal and IB flight numbers
- AA metal and AA flight numbers

Having noticed avios availability had opened up for LHR - BOS (IB flight number on BA metal), I phoned to enquire about UUA for just that leg (of the six legs on the ticket)

I was told I couldn't as it was an IB flight number and that the ticket also contained AA flights.

From my understandingly the first post on this thread, that isn't true, and the real reason I couldn't upgrade was because my IB flight number was in I class. And I can only upgrade from J, D and H(?)

Is that true? Or would that have been if it was IB metal too

Thanks in advance hope I've made some sense
As this is a direct booking with BA inclusion of other carriers isn't an issue. However, you have picked up on the correct problem, namely your TATL is booked under the IB codeshare and UuAs are much more limited to certain booking classes.
Old May 18, 2016, 3:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
I'm trying to book US west coast (LAX/SFO) to OZ (MEL/SYD) using avios but I keep getting this error message whenever I choose QF flights
"Sorry, there’s a problem with booking this journey online. You can try selecting other flights or contact us so an agent can help you book the flights you have selected"

Can anyone give me an estimate for a one way economy/business avios quote for LAX/SFO-MEL/SYD on QF for off-peak dates?

Cheers
Old May 18, 2016, 3:43 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by redadeco
I'm trying to book US west coast (LAX/SFO) to OZ (MEL/SYD) using avios but I keep getting this error message whenever I choose QF flights
"Sorry, there’s a problem with booking this journey online. You can try selecting other flights or contact us so an agent can help you book the flights you have selected"

Can anyone give me an estimate for a one way economy/business avios quote for LAX/SFO-MEL/SYD on QF for off-peak dates?

Cheers
Off-peak only applies for BA metal awards. All partner awards are charged at peak rates.

You can use www.gcmap.com to calculate the distance and the tables in this thread to determine the avios required.
Old May 18, 2016, 3:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
Originally Posted by nux
Off-peak only applies for BA metal awards. All partner awards are charged at peak rates.

You can use www.gcmap.com to calculate the distance and the tables in this thread to determine the avios required.
^

How about taxes when flying QF? Same as AA?
Old May 18, 2016, 4:07 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redadeco
^

How about taxes when flying QF? Same as AA?
It would be similar. QF does not publish YQ/YR on that route.
Old May 20, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, BA Gold
Hi all,

Wondering is anyone has been able to book flights with avios on LATAM affiliates? I'm looking at AEP-USH at some point. Otherwise, any ideas how to get to USH with avios (or otherwise I guess...) from any of the BA destinations in South America? Thanks!
Old May 20, 2016, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lb2112
Hi all,

Wondering is anyone has been able to book flights with avios on LATAM affiliates? I'm looking at AEP-USH at some point. Otherwise, any ideas how to get to USH with avios (or otherwise I guess...) from any of the BA destinations in South America? Thanks!
See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...s-ushuaia.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-engine-2.html
Old May 21, 2016, 12:33 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Bronze
I've flown MAN-LHR-HKG (CW) as part of a 2-4-1 redemption booking. My return is HND-LHR-MAN. I had booked the return in First, however CW availability is now available, can I downgrade to CW for the standard change fee? Pref is to save miles!
Old May 21, 2016, 1:53 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Furton
I've flown MAN-LHR-HKG (CW) as part of a 2-4-1 redemption booking. My return is HND-LHR-MAN. I had booked the return in First, however CW availability is now available, can I downgrade to CW for the standard change fee? Pref is to save miles!
No refund once the first flight on the ticket is flown.
Old May 22, 2016, 11:26 am

Hi... I'm looking to use avios for a flight this summer from NYC to Japan (tokyo or osaka) with a stopover in PVG. I tried to price this on the website and the only choice of stopover provided is London. Is this because there are no direct NYC-PVG flights? Or would I be able to get the stopover if I book over the phone?

BTW does it matter how long the stop over is for? Thanks.
Old May 22, 2016, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbjnyc
Hi... I'm looking to use avios for a flight this summer from NYC to Japan (tokyo or osaka) with a stopover in PVG. I tried to price this on the website and the only choice of stopover provided is London. Is this because there are no direct NYC-PVG flights? Or would I be able to get the stopover if I book over the phone?

BTW does it matter how long the stop over is for? Thanks.
Booking with BAEC avios does not provide any free or other stopovers for a routing like yours. If you want to stop somewhere on the way to somewhere else you need to pay avios for each segment. So in your case you need to search for and book JFK-PVG and PVG- TYO.
Old May 22, 2016, 3:11 pm

OK thanks for the info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.