DYKWIA - The 2016 Thread

Old Feb 8, 2016, 6:09 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurostar, Miles&Smiles
DYKWIAs can take many forms, it seems. Waiting for boarding at Edinburgh recently and a middle aged ish woman comes bursting into the room with her companion, making sure everybody knows she is there. The gate agent is looking like he is ready to begin boarding, so there is a long lice infestation already tracing through the room. This woman's companion is heading to join the back of the queue when woman A shouts "no, come this way, I've paid for priority boarding". Well, way to announce you are financially illiterate to everybody. I put my book down to enjoy the matinee, and happen to look down and notice her item of cabin baggage is larger than the largest suitcase I own. She marches to the gate and reminds the world again she is priority boarding. The desk agent asks the lady if there is a snowball's chance in hell that her bag is going to fit into the luggage size crate. She replies that she doesn't need to check, as she has got priority boarding. Much amusement in the audience at this point, while the gate agent tries to explain - to little avail - that her additional Ł10 has in no way altered the physical size of the plane or its overhead bins, and that she is going to need to pay Ł50 to have the bag checked in. He then asks her to step aside while he boards the rest of the aircraft. They eventually board about 10 minutes after all other passengers are seated.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 3:20 am

Well I giggled yesterday morning (and perhaps also somewhat saddened by the state of people's mental well being) when this happened:

Sat in 1A for my Monday morning commute to LHR from ARN. (Now just as additional information; Stockholm is a provincial town in Northern Europe packed with insecure people who think they live in a Cosmopolitan World City which is just as hip and cool as Williamsburg, leads Fashion and Architecture and is generally just so hot right now and trendy OMG.)

The rest of row one is occupied by let's say three men that fit in with the above quite well. We are 20 minutes late from ARN due to ATC restrictions due to Imogen bashing southern England. I over hear them discussing and being concerned whether they will make their connecting flight at T5.
So I thought I could be of some help as it is safe to say I know my way around T5 pretty well.

I ask the chap in 1D "Sorry, what time is your connecting flight?"

He replies: "Los Angeles" : in a snotty tone( (Ok, you really want people to know you're going to LA... OMG LA is so hot right now in Stockholm)

To which I reply: "Sure, what time is the flight?"

Response: "10:30"

I reply: "ah ok, well that will be tight but BA will rebook you on the next one so should be all right".

Response in same snotty fashion: "I know we do this trip often".

At that moment I decided to not waste any more time or oxygen on this person.

Later during the flight, I spotted 1D looking at their phone and mobile boarding pass.

BRONZE
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:17 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
Totally agree with your Stockholm assessment!
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:34 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by jwhite9185
and I couldn't help but notice he was trying to shove his way past me as we were walking. I decided to take up just a little bit more room
So, rather than keeping to the right/left so that people can freely walk past you, you decided to take up more room to prevent people from overtaking you? I don't understand people who do that. It is one thing when people are trying to shove their way past you in a queue but it is unacceptable when people take up all the space when walking expecting other people to keep their pace rather than maintain their own. Some people like to walk fast you know...
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Today in BKK at the Royal Silk lounge there was a guy traveling in Y with his girlfriend. I'm guessing they were around 25 or so. He had the poshest British accent ever. He was complaining that he could not access the lounge (rather loudly) and the staff tried to explain that he either needed to travel in business or have status with the airline. He wanted to know if he had enough miles to 'buy Gold'.

I was just about to help him out when he started whining about how he always got in with his daddy and how daddy was incredibly important in Britain and how TG would come to regret this. His - soon to be ex - girlfriend looked terribly embarrassed. Maybe I should have guested her in. He went on being terribly insulting without ever using bad language, like only you Brits can. In the end he was removed by security. I any of you have a son traveling with a gf in Y on *A tonight from BKK: teach the lad some manners.

PS: moved to the new CX lounge here and I must say 'wow'. They hit a home run again. Love it.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:56 am

Programs: BAEC, IHG, LeClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by maastrichtmouse
DYKWIAs can take many forms, it seems. Waiting for boarding at Edinburgh recently and a middle aged ish woman comes bursting into the room with her companion, making sure everybody knows she is there. The gate agent is looking like he is ready to begin boarding, so there is a long lice infestation already tracing through the room. This woman's companion is heading to join the back of the queue when woman A shouts "no, come this way, I've paid for priority boarding". Well, way to announce you are financially illiterate to everybody. I put my book down to enjoy the matinee, and happen to look down and notice her item of cabin baggage is larger than the largest suitcase I own. She marches to the gate and reminds the world again she is priority boarding. The desk agent asks the lady if there is a snowball's chance in hell that her bag is going to fit into the luggage size crate. She replies that she doesn't need to check, as she has got priority boarding. Much amusement in the audience at this point, while the gate agent tries to explain - to little avail - that her additional Ł10 has in no way altered the physical size of the plane or its overhead bins, and that she is going to need to pay Ł50 to have the bag checked in. He then asks her to step aside while he boards the rest of the aircraft. They eventually board about 10 minutes after all other passengers are seated.
This made me laugh I have to say ^
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Andriyko
So, rather than keeping to the right/left so that people can freely walk past you, you decided to take up more room to prevent people from overtaking you? I don't understand people who do that. It is one thing when people are trying to shove their way past you in a queue but it is unacceptable when people take up all the space when walking expecting other people to keep their pace rather than maintain their own. Some people like to walk fast you know...
Everybody was in a queue. It was the sort that was just moving very slowly (less than walking pace, but still moving) rather than stationary. So if this guy would have barged his was to the front, he would in effect be jumping the queue.

And not much effort was required in taking up more space as everybody was between the tensa barriers.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:25 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurostar, Miles&Smiles
Originally Posted by EDI_Martin
This made me laugh I have to say ^
Thanks, Edi_Martin!
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: Gold Mega Legend
Originally Posted by Petrus
BRONZE
What is the point of sneering at someone just because of the colour of their FF card? Grow up.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:48 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by revan
What is the point of sneering at someone just because of the colour of their FF card? Grow up.
It looks like you've rather missed the clues of the DYKWIAism.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:49 pm

Lighten up man........ I also found it quite funny.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Someone who flies ARN-LHR-LAX in business will earn a minimum of 360 tier points each time. If you do that "often" (as the DYKWIA claimed) - or even twice - you are not a BA bronze.

I suppose it's possible that that person does do it "often" with 50TP return economy fares, or has just started crediting to BA (though if they flew frequently, just on other airlines, they wouldn't know their way around T5 yet) - but it's just as likely that the passenger was an infrequent traveller who wanted to seem as though LA "just isn't a big deal."
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Cymro
Someone who flies ARN-LHR-LAX in business will earn a minimum of 360 tier points each time. If you do that "often" (as the DYKWIA claimed) - or even twice - you are not a BA bronze.
Surely, he does it "often". – Every year...
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Petrus
BRONZE
I'm Bronze! I used to be Silver and before that Gold and earlier still Diamond; soon I will be Blue.

But I do have a very nice tabby cat called Tommy. Please can I stay on FT?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
I am Bronze,with no chance of Silver,and in November will be Blue again,but hey,I have had fun along the way,and visited some amazing places,seen loads of DYKWIA people,rude passengers,nice FA's..and plenty of Gin!!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.