Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2016 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2016 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2016, 1:53 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by caz312
however this will come down to the reason for the delay
a short delay due ATC resulting in missed connection would not result in any compensation payment
And zillions of other reasons... Of course... The main point was that while lorcancoyle provided some valuable input in the past, it was plain BS this time...
Old Jan 4, 2016, 1:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ginger50
Later this month Mrs G50 and I are flying to MLE for our hols.
Personally I wouldn't worry: your flights are in general terms protected by EC261, and despite Sri Lankan's punctuality issues I suspect you will make the connection - they will meet you in CMB and assist you to make the flight; moreover for that particular connection there will be a lot of other passengers on the same connection, so Sri Lankan typically delays the onward flight if necessary.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 2:03 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Personally I wouldn't worry: your flights are in general terms protected by EC261, and despite Sri Lankan's punctuality issues I suspect you will make the connection - they will meet you in CMB and assist you to make the flight; moreover for that particular connection there will be a lot of other passengers on the same connection, so Sri Lankan typically delays the onward flight if necessary.
Academically speaking, I would not rely on that. As demonstrated by the data I provided above, flight from LHR arrived at 13:49 local time today and flight to MEL left at 13:42. So they did not wait today...
Old Jan 4, 2016, 2:14 am

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
Thank you everyone, and vbroucek, I will most certainly NOT waste valuable diving time filling out EC261! These responses have given me confidence in the conversations possible at the airport.

Holiday first; compo second!
Old Jan 4, 2016, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by ginger50
Thank you everyone, and vbroucek, I will most certainly NOT waste valuable diving time filling out EC261! These responses have given me confidence in the conversations possible at the airport.

Holiday first; compo second!
That's the way to do it! BTW, you're flying out on my BD - you will be lucky!!!
Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold
Please can someone help clarify a situation for me. My friend is on tonight's BA0124 (DOH LHR - via BAH). The flight looks like it will be cancelled. Does EC261 apply in this case? Or does the BAH stop allow BA a get out by claiming it is a non EU flight?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:12 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Shuttle_Endeavour
Please can someone help clarify a situation for me. My friend is on tonight's BA0124 (DOH LHR - via BAH). The flight looks like it will be cancelled. Does EC261 apply in this case? Or does the BAH stop allow BA a get out by claiming it is a non EU flight?
No get out clause for that since BA is a community carrier and assuming your friend isn't travelling to BAH only. There may be a get out clause depending on the reason for the cancellation. Nevertheless the duty of care would apply in all circumstances.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold
Thank you CWS, that was my belief, but I wanted clarification. It sounds like BA may have done a good job of washing its hands of its responsibilities and leaving people to sort themselves out.
Will update if I hear more.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 3:36 am

Can someone please advise me on my delayed flight with BA.

The flight from IST to LHR on 31/12 was initially delayed and subsequently cancelled and re-scheduled for the next day. The delay was due to adverse weather , however ultimately it was due to crew staff exceeding flight time hours. No spare crew , so flight cancelled on the day. As this is the first occasion this occurred to me , I was unaware of my entitlements.
BA did provide transfer, accommodation and meal. However it was chaotic at best with no BA rep on site but Turkish airport staff.

I was stranded at airport for 11 hours in total. Problems arose as we had boarded flight about to take off , but due to congestion, with minutes to spare, the flight was due for de-icing which would have exceeded crew staff time on return, making it illegal to return.

The return flight due to depart at 1100 , finally departed at 1330 on 01/01/16.

I had a hotel reservation for 31/12/15, which I lost as it was prepaid due to delay. I will be complaining to BA at the shambolic handling at the airport.

My flight along with partner was booked using cash and Avios directly with BA.
I do have travel insurance , and have been advised that they will only pay for delay to flight Ł30 per 8 hours , but not for lost hotel costs.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 3:51 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Special 1
Can someone please advise me on my delayed flight with BA.

The flight from IST to LHR on 31/12 was initially delayed and subsequently cancelled and re-scheduled for the next day. The delay was due to adverse weather , however ultimately it was due to crew staff exceeding flight time hours. No spare crew , so flight cancelled on the day. As this is the first occasion this occurred to me , I was unaware of my entitlements.
BA did provide transfer, accommodation and meal. However it was chaotic at best with no BA rep on site but Turkish airport staff.

I was stranded at airport for 11 hours in total. Problems arose as we had boarded flight about to take off , but due to congestion, with minutes to spare, the flight was due for de-icing which would have exceeded crew staff time on return, making it illegal to return.

The return flight due to depart at 1100 , finally departed at 1330 on 01/01/16.

I had a hotel reservation for 31/12/15, which I lost as it was prepaid due to delay. I will be complaining to BA at the shambolic handling at the airport.

My flight along with partner was booked using cash and Avios directly with BA.
I do have travel insurance , and have been advised that they will only pay for delay to flight Ł30 per 8 hours , but not for lost hotel costs.
I gather IST in general was a shambles around that time - take a look at @starflyergold's Twitter feed on the subject for a horrendous experience at the hands of TK (they make BA look positively professional at IRROPS it seems).

IMO there's no compensation due as it was adverse weather, the crew timing out was solely a result of that rather than anything else I presume. Happy to be corrected though. Also sounds like BA, eventually, did what they had to in terms of care
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:16 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Just put in my claim for the BA92 (YYZ-LHR) that arrived late yesterday, missing my connection to DUB, for an exDUB booking, they moved my to an EI flight making it 4:30 late! (and i just made my connection back to the UK from my repositioning flight)

Shame my bags didnt make it, i presume there still in LHR
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:43 pm

Thank you lorcancoyle for your advice. I have had a quick read of starflyers tweets and I understand the frustration.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by aidy
Just put in my claim for the BA92 (YYZ-LHR) that arrived late yesterday, missing my connection to DUB, for an exDUB booking, they moved my to an EI flight making it 4:30 late! (and i just made my connection back to the UK from my repositioning flight)

Shame my bags didnt make it, i presume there still in LHR
Was claim just for delay, or did you get a downgrade on the final leg too? (Given ex-DUB I'm presuming it was a business class booking)
Old Jan 6, 2016, 4:08 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Was claim just for delay, or did you get a downgrade on the final leg too? (Given ex-DUB I'm presuming it was a business class booking)
no was just for the delay, unfortunately even though it was ex-DUB it still was ET/WT and it saves us Ł250 each (Christmas travel!)
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:29 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
I was rebooked onto a flight to City A that made me 4:10 late, but it would cause other problems downstream with further flights on the same booking/PNR to City B. As such I got myself rebooked to City C instead, with the reason entered on the ticket as "missed appointment in City A, need to change route in order to make next appointment in City C". What is the likelihood I will get something from BA using EC 261 here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.