Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA passenger 'fighting for life after bag falls on head'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold

A plane passenger is said to be fighting for his life after being hit on the head by a bag which fell from an overhead locker.

The man reportedly fell to the floor after the freak accident on a British Airways plane which was waiting to take off at Heathrow Airport.

Full story http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...-a3138306.html

Suppose it was only a matter of time before something like this happened with the new HBO fares. Will this lead to a change?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Looks like it was a flight to BKK so not directly related to the HBO situation but may lead to changes all the same....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...axied-off.html
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If he fell to the floor and collapsed, it sounds like he was standing up when the accident happened. Yet, the aircraft was supposedly awaiting takeoff so he should have been seated with seatbelt fastened. I wonder whether he was trying to access something in the overhead bin.

I also wonder whether the bin was properly closed (and latched) when this happened.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:29 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
He fought so hard for his life that he managed to get to BKK on the next available flight...

Sensationalist claptrap.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:30 am

Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Gomac
Looks like it was a flight to BKK so not directly related to the HBO situation but may lead to changes all the same....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...axied-off.html
Not "directly" related? Try not remotely related...

If it leads to changes it will be minor changes like weighing bigger bags (and reducing the slightly ridiculous 23kg limit) and enforcing limits more strongly. A huge proportion of global flights (I'd wager over half) are HBO and everyone else somehow copes, I hardly think BA customers are uniquely vulnerable.

Last edited by callum9999; Dec 16, 2015 at 1:35 am
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by callum9999
A huge proportion of global flights (I'd wager over half) are HBO and everyone else somehow copes, I hardly think BA customers are uniquely vulnerable.
A very good point, but either it can't be denied that encouraging passengers to not check in bags and to take it in the cabin makes these situations more likely to happen in the future.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:45 am

Programs: BA Silver
Extraordinary amount of hypothesizing going on with about three facts. Almost as much conjecture and hyperbole up-thread as there is in the two articles.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by mentor of monty
Extraordinary amount of hypothesizing going on with about three facts. Almost as much conjecture and hyperbole up-thread as there is in the two articles.
Could be a source of a new fee / tax whatever to charge the customer
Old Dec 16, 2015, 3:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
maybe they updated the article, when I reading now I cannot see anything about fighting for his life, just that he was hospitalized and treated for a head injury
Old Dec 16, 2015, 3:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This happened on Monday at the B gates, it delayed BA9's departure by just over an hour, the flight left the gate 80 minutes late. The version I heard/saw wasn't quite as serious as written up, it was more a case of being cautious given it was a head injury.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 4:03 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
I've always thought the club overhead lockers and a misbalanced and flexible bag might involve a spill if say someone wasn't paying attention....
Old Dec 16, 2015, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If he fell to the floor and collapsed, it sounds like he was standing up when the accident happened. Yet, the aircraft was supposedly awaiting takeoff so he should have been seated with seatbelt fastened. I wonder whether he was trying to access something in the overhead bin.

I also wonder whether the bin was properly closed (and latched) when this happened.
BA in LHR are very lenient with maximum hand baggage, in my experience. One flight in particular a family of 2 boarded with 4 rollaboards and 2 small bags without questions. The couldn't find space for them since they boarded last, but anyway.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 4:43 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Overhead lockers are simply not designed to cope with BA's cabin baggage weight limit IMO. 23KG for one bag stored in a flimsy locker above your head is not safe (again, IMO). In the event of severe turbulence a 23KG hard-shelled projectile being thrown around the cabin is going to hurt.

I'm sure I used to see a locker weight limit printed on the inside of the lockers on some flights and it was much lower than what people put in the lockers these days.

I also often see cabin crew forcing a locker door shut and you can see the latch is extremely strained.

If the airlines received much stiffer penalties for accidents like this then it may force them to adopt safer bag storage policies.

All of the above is simply my personal opinion.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 5:17 am

I was on a flight out of YYZ about a month or so ago where we pushed back while passengers were still storing their hand baggage due to WT being overwhelmed with bags.

I saw someone stumble with their bag above their head due to the jerk that occurs on pushback.

I reported it to BA and had a call back to inform me that they don't consider pushing back with passengers still storing hand baggage a safety issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.