Achieving BA status

Old Dec 8, 2015, 8:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA, SQ, EK, FB, SPG
Achieving BA status

I had a friend asking; is BA the easiest program to earn Oneworld status in if you frequently fly long haul Y or PEY compared with J? I usually fly in premium cabins so I was wondering, do people flying on full fare tickets typically come out ahead compared with other programs?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: EY - Gold, BA - Gold
sorry misread question

Last edited by jose2000; Dec 8, 2015 at 8:54 am Reason: stupid answer
Old Dec 8, 2015, 8:55 am

i think AA is the easiest. it's the best as well, as you can earn loads of miles easily and cash them in for great seats on etihad for next to nothing. makes etihad members want to join AA. All depends where you're flying, but yeah, i'd say BA is one of the best.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 8:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jose2000
i think AA is the easiest. it's the best as well, as you can earn loads of miles easily and cash them in for great seats on etihad for next to nothing. makes etihad members want to join AA. All depends where you're flying, but yeah, i'd say BA is one of the best.
You don't earn anything crediting to AA on Z class for EY But in terms of earning status, do people usually come out ahead; given the TP system?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
One big question which ought to be answered first: What is their travel pattern? Many of the OW schemes have a minimum sector rule. So if your friend were to decide that AA is easiest, but never flies anywhere that AA goes, they could be very disappointed if AA enforced its 4-sector rule and they didn't actually earn any status.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
One big question which ought to be answered first: What is their travel pattern? Many of the OW schemes have a minimum sector rule. So if your friend were to decide that AA is easiest, but never flies anywhere that AA goes, they could be very disappointed if AA enforced its 4-sector rule and they didn't actually earn any status.
He is currently based in FRA but he didn't jump the boat when the BA FRA-HKG J fares came up. Typically ex-EU to West Coast US and EU-Asia.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by expatOWflyer
You don't earn anything crediting to AA on Z class for EY But in terms of earning status, do people usually come out ahead; given the TP system?
To have meaningful status you need 600 tier points and 4 flights with BA in a year (silver). Not particularly difficult if you fly business class and on flights over 2,000 miles. It can be done as easily as a return trip to vegas for under 1,000.

If you have no long haul planned, then you'd most likely need at least five or six medium haul return trips in premium economy and double that for economy.

You can also achieve status through number of flights (50 for silver), but it is possible to miss out - someone took 49 and missed out a few months back, so a big factor can be distance of travel. Obvs, the greater the distance, the fewer flights required.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
AA has been enforcing the 4 segment rule for a while now, as does BA, so that is the first hurdle to jump. Otherwise the ease depends on your flying pattern and the best bet, if things are stable, is to work out the alternatives for the past couple of years of flying. If you are changing your flying pattern then you will just have to do some analysis of the expected pattern. There is no simple answer, though if you fly in J/F on AA a lot then BA works out quite well!
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:27 am

I've made Silver this year in just three TATL r/t in WTP with UK domestic legs attached (so 220 TP per r/t).

I've actually done more flying than that, with some more WTP legs but also discount Y which has me currently on 895 TP with a TATL WTP out, CW back booking to come over Christmas that will put me on 1125 TP by the end of the calendar year.

With my TP year ending on April 8th I have a decent chance of making Gold.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:32 am

If it's just extra legroom, then getting getting silver status asap would be advisable and then getting main cabin extra (for free) for all american flights in economy afterwards would keep costs down.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 11:49 am

i think AA is the easiest. it's the best as well, as you can earn loads of miles easily and cash them in for great seats on etihad for next to nothing.
Alas, AA is changing their programme which devalues their miles considerably.

See Head for Points

http://www.headforpoints.com/2015/11...e-uk-impacted/

For details.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
To have meaningful status you need 600 tier points and 4 flights with BA in a year (silver). Not particularly difficult if you fly business class and on flights over 2,000 miles. It can be done as easily as a return trip to vegas for under 1,000.
I had Silver for years, usually earning 600-700 tps a year... thanks to one trip to Vegas and clever routing I got BA Gold this year
Old Dec 8, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
Originally Posted by megaloman
I had Silver for years, usually earning 600-700 tps a year... thanks to one trip to Vegas and clever routing I got BA Gold this year
Was that 1500 TP for one trip to Vegas or 900-1000 to add to your usual 600-700?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
I think Gold achieved entirely through LH Y is...something deserving of considerable respect and an annual golden ticket for a one-off CCR entry.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
To the original question: I'd say very tentatively yes.

I ran the numbers for a friend a while back, who travels mostly paid J or F, often full fare, and he would be better off with BA. Meaning, he would get a higher status more quickly with BAEC than with AAdvantage. Now with the recent AAdvantage changes that give 2 or 3 EQMs for business and first, it's now slightly less clear, but he still comes out ahead, meaning BA Gold (OW Emerald) versus AA Plat (OW Sapphire). The question is, though, if the redeemable benefits are better. BAEC has some perks; AAdvantage others. Will he get more out of Avios? Sure, complimentary lounge access on domestic US flights is nice, but would would upgrades on the (rare) occasions he flies paid economy be better? How frequently will he really be on BA versus AA metal? Maybe the lower tier on AA is actually more beneficial than the top on BA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.