Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA installing Apple Watch friendly scanners at LHR T3 and T5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club (Gold), Marriot Bonvoy (Gold)

Read this today and thought it might be of interest to anyone with an Apple Watch. I've got one, but have never tried using it as a boarding pass (more through embarrassment)

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/...icket-scanners

Quite surprising the watch accounts for 5% of BA mobile app usage....
Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've never tried using mine as a boarding pass either haha... But I use it to get through the fast track gates and its pretty handy for that, the notifications for the gate and boarding are good too.

Thanks for the update.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I remember when I got mine back in the Spring. The BA staff were most amused by it, and so was I, as you had to take it off to put it under the barcode scanner which triggered the security lock and the fidgeting to input that on the tiny screen.

Like most things its better off waiting for the second or third one before biting.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Are they changing the scanners to get into the lounge too? Might be a bit fiddly if not.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:57 pm

When I did the iPad app trial - one of the G4S guys commented how fancy it looked, then added "don't buy one of them watches - they don't work ... won't fit ..."

Good to hear it's being solved.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
A big Mobile BPs clog up lines. Period. Do the world a service and get a damn piece of paper.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: Gold Mega Legend
Originally Posted by sts603
A big Mobile BPs clog up lines. Period. Do the world a service and get a damn piece of paper.
I suppose traffic was better when people went around with horse and carts too?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Dinosaurs that require a bit of paper printed for them, who then lose it/can't find the right pocket/mix it up with a different one/have their spouse's one, clog up lines. Those that resist change ultimately end up being left behind.

If they revise the scanners then everything will be a lot easier and quicker. One day, with NFC and contactless, people will be wishing they're in the 'electronic BP only' lanes.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:45 pm
Formerly known as Tim Farrell

I've never had any sort of issue with my mobile boarding passes except in MNL (but there are a hundred other things that will slow you down there).

I suppose if people are waiting til they get to the desk before unlocking their phone and accessing the boarding pass, then it might cause a delay. But then would these same people not just exhibit the same behaviour with a paper BP and keep it in their handbag/man bag until they arrive at the desk?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then one has to crowd up the desks to obtain one. It just moves the queue somewhere else.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Always use the Apple Watch as my boarding pass on T3. Always works without any issues unless I am wearing a thick leather jacket whose cuff may get in the way.

Most BP scanners at T5 are not watch friendly.
Good news^
Old Dec 2, 2015, 1:10 am

Programs: Gold Actually
Originally Posted by Foltan
If they revise the scanners then everything will be a lot easier and quicker. One day, with NFC and contactless, people will be wishing they're in the 'electronic BP only' lanes.
but the paper queue will be empty!!
Old Dec 2, 2015, 1:10 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Calchas
Then one has to crowd up the desks to obtain one. It just moves the queue somewhere else.
Only if a lot of people share your printer at home or work!
Old Dec 2, 2015, 1:55 am

Programs: BA Silver
I love the idea that people are happy to wear apple watches but too embarrassed to use them talk about form over function! [I'd be too embarrassed to wear one]
Old Dec 2, 2015, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Only if a lot of people share your printer at home or work!
I don't have a printer at home

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.