Wiki Posts
Search

BA Emerald/Sapphire Mix Up?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Marriott Platinum
BA Emerald/Sapphire Mix Up?

Recently became a BA Gold member (!) and was travelling on an AA flight to LHR with an onwards BA connection. Oddly, the AA BP to LHR printed showing Sapphire status whereas the onwards BP for the BA flight showed Emerald status was denied access to the Flagship lounge because my AA boarding pass showed Sapphire even though I am Emerald (tried to show them my digital card, clearly it doesn't have any real value). Has this happened to anyone else ?

Last edited by baflyer2; Nov 30, 2015 at 2:35 pm
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:02 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Yes, I booked 4 AA segments when I was BAEC Silver and then took them after I qualified for Gold but BP showed Sapphire. It does not seem to be dynamic. Made no difference really to me because I was flying to and from places without a First lounge but I presume this would update if you asked them to remove your FF number and then add it again
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Had this same issue and it took 10 months to sort out. Managed to get BA Executive Club to help me out on here - all fixed now.

Having said that for lounges strictly speaking they should let you in with just card, I believe. I got unlucky a couple of times with the agent at the desk. Generally helps if you add that it's a new card etc.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
I had the issue on reservations that were booked prior to upgrading to Gold--but the only place it mattered, the ORD Flagship Lounge, it was quickly resolved.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

How did you all get this issue resolved (specifically, how can I ensure this doesn't happen for future reservations)?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:48 pm

The AA system reads the status when the booking is made, and does not update it. You should be able to request this information to be updated at a check-in counter. AA once reprinted my boarding at LAX when this happened to me, and it then showed the correct status.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by baflyer2
How did you all get this issue resolved (specifically, how can I ensure this doesn't happen for future reservations)?
Ask for the frequent flier number to be removed and then re-added.

The Flagship Lounges are nice but you haven't missed out on the big time. Enjoy your next trip.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 12:51 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
In my case removing and re adding wouldn't work. And it didn't matter if the booking was made before or after becoming gold. Seemed to just get stuck in the system that I was a Sapphire for AA.

Hope your issue is the simple one to sort! But if not - I'd just get in touch with BA on here.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 4:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
Same happens for me on AA, I come up as Saphire on boarding passes, and even on their tablet onboard (when I asked if I was entitled to free snack/beer in Y as OWE, the stewardess just pointed at her tablet and said, no, you are Saphire - busy flight, couldn't be bothered to argue). But when I booked an US Airways flight, their system shows it right. A few weeks ago took the same flight, was an US Air route, now AA as the systems have finally been joined, and I am back to Saphire on the boarding passes.

So I am all ears on how to get it fixed...
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:08 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
From my experience it can take time for the status to move across to AA. I've seen this happen before- and had no problems giving the pax the greater benifits of Emerald with the production of their card.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFL
I am in the same situation as some of you here and managed to get it resolved.

I made a booking a month or two back with AA for next year and was a BA Silver at the time. I reached Gold last week.

I just called AA on 020 7660 2300 and gave them my booking reference. The person wasn't able to remove my BA number but he spoke to the tech team who removed it.

He then re-added it for me and confirmed that it now shows as One World Emerald on their system.

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BA0197
From my experience it can take time for the status to move across to AA.
Define how long is 'it can take time'?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Originally Posted by Forever in Seattle
Define how long is 'it can take time'?
I couldn't possibly say. I didn't work in the IT departement- I was a mere user of SABRE/DCS. I can say however, that I have encountered newly minted-Emerald pax with PNRs still labeled as Sapphire. Even when I took the FF out and put it back in, it would not show. I had no problem however, waiving the charges for any additional fees and place a 5H (note) in the booking for other agents to see.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire
Long time lurker: hello!

I have had this happen to me for 3 years. I've been Gold on BA for 3 years, but AA always say I'm Sapphire. I did try BA customer service who passed me to AA customer service, who passed me to BA etc etc. I ended up not being bothered as it hasn't really affected my journeys too much.

If anyone does know the best way to guide them to sort it out - I'd be grateful.

Thanks!
Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Out of curiosity, has this happened to anyone on other oneworld airlines? I have an upcoming trip on QR booked while I was a BA Silver/Sapphire and don't want this same thing to happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.