Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Do you ever bring a small gift for the crew?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:07 am
Original Poster

I have sometimes brought a box of chocolates for the cabin crew when I travel long haul for Christmas. It is a much appreciated gesture and I was wondering if anyone else have ever done something similar?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes I have when travelling on Chrsitmas or Boxing Day, but no at any other time.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 1:29 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
No. I don't bring one for the check in staff, security staff, baggage handlers, cleaners, etc either - all of which I am sure do a splendid job over the holidays.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 1:36 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Chocolates? In today's heightened security they could be poisoned for all the crew know. I'd be interested to hear if crew would eat chocolates given to them onboard by a complete stranger?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 1:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
I saw someone giving a gift to cabin crew in USA on AA. I think it was perfume or something but thought that maybe lady is flying often and knows the crew.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by A P Yu
Chocolates? In today's heightened security they could be poisoned for all the crew know. I'd be interested to hear if crew would eat chocolates given to them onboard by a complete stranger?
In my experience they were perfectly happy to eat them during the journey. The chocolates were bought close in time to the flight and still in the sealed container.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
On many airlines, bringing a box of chocolates to the crew is well known code from airline staff and staff family on personal travel to thank the working crew for wild onboard upgrades. I personally would prefer to avoid such confusion.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
On many airlines, bringing a box of chocolates to the crew is well known code from airline staff and staff family on personal travel to thank the working crew for wild onboard upgrades. I personally would prefer to avoid such confusion.
I can't speak for other airlines, but this has not been my experience on BA - not that I am airline staff or staff family anyway. No upgrade was ever asked for or even hinted at, and the CSM/CSD never suggested that would be something that could happen. I wasn't after an upgrade. In some of the flights I was in the highest cabin already.

Anyway, my reasoning FWIW is that no one wants to work on Christmas or Boxing Day so a modest box of chocolates is my way of acknowledging that. Others may think differently and I respect that.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:05 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
I normally carry a few £10 starbucks vouchers as gifts for any cabin crew members who give great service.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:14 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Wayland
I normally carry a few £10 starbucks vouchers as gifts for any cabin crew members who give great service.
There's a little more logic to this- it's at least rewarding good service rather than trying to buy it. You should not have to pre-emptively give a gift to try and buy service. Christmas I guess potentially the only exception, but generally I think this is weird...
Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by mentor of monty
There's a little more logic to this- it's at least rewarding good service rather than trying to buy it. You should not have to pre-emptively give a gift to try and buy service. Christmas I guess potentially the only exception, but generally I think this is weird...
I understand the concern. My experience was not that I received any better service as a result - the service was what I would normally expect in that cabin. Also I did not get any impression that I was given any better service than anyone else in the cabin.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
I can't speak for other airlines, but this has not been my experience on BA - not that I am airline staff or staff family anyway. No upgrade was ever asked for or even hinted at, and the CSM/CSD never suggested that would be something that could happen. I wasn't after an upgrade. In some of the flights I was in the highest cabin already.

Anyway, my reasoning FWIW is that no one wants to work on Christmas or Boxing Day so a modest box of chocolates is my way of acknowledging that. Others may think differently and I respect that.
I really like this idea at Christmas. irmster does make a good point though - why not other employees of BA you encounter such as lounge staff or gate agents or indeed cleaners?

So on balance I probably wouldn't do it because it doesn't somehow seem fair to favour one employee over another, and 10 boxes of chocolates is starting to get heavy and expensive!
Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:28 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Just vodka for the pilots
Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I really like this idea at Christmas. irmster does make a good point though - why not other employees of BA you encounter such as lounge staff or gate agents or indeed cleaners?

So on balance I probably wouldn't do it because it doesn't somehow seem fair to favour one employee over another, and 10 boxes of chocolates is starting to get heavy and expensive!
How do you know I didn't? The MAN and CCR lounge staff may have also got something last Christmas Day
Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by KARFA
Originally Posted by orbitmic

The one time I did this, I couldn't be upgraded as I was already in CW on a 3-class aircraft.

It was a Christmas Eve night flight. I brought a small box of mince pies for each of the crew on board, each individually wrapped, and handed the entire bag to the CSD at the beginning of the flight with instructions. I then slept for the whole of the flight (as it was so short), so didn't get any special treatment during the flight either. But a number of the cabin crew did stop by during the descent to say thank you - they seemed genuinely grateful for the gesture.

However, I wouldn't normally do it as a matter of routine; that would smack of bribery, as others have said/hinted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.