What happened to the LHR T5 lounge refit?

Old Nov 28, 2015, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

What happened to the LHR T5 lounge refit?

The last thread that talked about this 'GGL lunch' or some such thing said that it would go ahead once a new lease was signed with HAL, has anything moved forward on this?

GC north was showing it's age today.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 12:38 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's already started! They have laid down new carpets in CCR, they completed Tobias' and my patch already and I think the rest gets completed tonight, and it does make a difference I must say. Then individual furniture items get changed and there are a few more surprises in store over the next few days, more of that anon. My guess is Flounge South will then get new carpets.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Is it all overnight work? Suprised that they have enough time with the closing times of the lounges at around 7ish hours.

At least it's finally happening.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's already started! They have laid down new carpets in CCR, they completed Tobias' and my patch already and I think the rest gets completed tonight, and it does make a difference I must say. Then individual furniture items get changed and there are a few more surprises in store over the next few days, more of that anon. My guess is Flounge South will then get new carpets.
Thanks C-W-S, as ever. I had completely missed any change to the carpets last week in the CCR, I must pay more attention . I'm pretty sure the WC area is, as was though. That area really could do with sorting.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
With good planning and organisation is it possible to do a lot of work in a short over night closure period - look at the tube system or even stuff HAL does to runways and gates etc.

Yes you don't have a Big Bang change but what you do get is small items done each day - painting one night then carpet then furniture etc
Old Nov 28, 2015, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Calum
Is it all overnight work? Suprised that they have enough time with the closing times of the lounges at around 7ish hours.
The vast majority of work at Heathrow is completed on a nightly basis (generally Sunday to Thursday nights) within a 5 hour working window between 23:00 and 04:00.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
I assume the biggest changes (the separate security lane directly into the south lounges, and the shower renovations beyond basic repairs) have not started yet?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 1:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by dylanks
I assume the biggest changes (the separate security lane directly into the south lounges, and the shower renovations beyond basic repairs) have not started yet?
You're correct there, I imagine they'll wait until well after Christmas to do that but when it comes to T5, dates given to me by the hierarchy seem to always end up being postponed a few weeks/months for some reason. The stage they seem to be at right now is in line with UKtravelbear's comments, incremental/piecemeal. Anyway, in the meantime here is a stretch of CCR carpet, you'll need to add your own "new carpet" smell, though thankfully it's fairly discreet.

Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's already started! They have laid down new carpets in CCR, they completed Tobias' and my patch already and I think the rest gets completed tonight ...
Presumably they started with your patch because it was more worn than the rest of the CCR?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 3:05 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Presumably they started with your patch because it was more worn than the rest of the CCR?
Or it was a fire hazard due to all the alcohol it had absorbed over time...
Old Nov 29, 2015, 3:17 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Somehow I always thought the carpet was red in that area.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 7:45 am

New LHR GF Furniture?

So I note there are new high backed chairs up on the right as you enter GF (near where the vodka specials were) replacing the sofas that used to be in that space.

I also note the carpet looks either super clean or new.

Did this all happen at the same time as the CCR work? Haven't been through for a couple of weeks so haven't noticed (not that I've seen the CCR work - just read about it!).
Old Dec 6, 2015, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Yes, there is an on-going phased replacement of flooring and furniture in all of the T5A lounges (starting with CCR/GF), soon to be followed by full scale refurbishment of the washrooms, showers and cabanas.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Genius1
soon to be followed by full scale refurbishment of the washrooms, showers and cabanas.
This will be very welcome, any idea how soon?

Last edited by Prospero; Dec 6, 2015 at 4:53 pm Reason: Repair quotation frame
Old Dec 6, 2015, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Also see these threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...nge-refit.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...d-product.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.