Community
Wiki Posts
Search

We are all Russia...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2015, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
We are all Russia...

Am I the only one who is getting frankly frustrated with BA's bug which makes that you enter a UK mobile number (07xxx....) when making your booking on the BA website and by some sort of odd "miracle" the BA website somehow decides to replace that into +7-xxx where your mobile number loses one figure and becomes registered with country code Russia?

I wouldn't care, but BA is already very bad (compared to some other airlines) are warning passengers of changes so I don't want them to have that excuse and I seem to perpetually need to change this back to the correct format on virtually all of my bookings!
Old Nov 27, 2015, 3:54 pm

Yes, yes, yes!

It's very annoying. Thought it was something I'd inadvertently done the first time but then it kept happening.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 3:56 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, A|Club, Tesco CC, Costa Coffee Club
I noticed that too. Very annoying. Website designers should prompt people to enter their phone numbers in correct international format (beginning with +44 for UK, and dropping the leading zero of the area code). Unfortunately, most non-frequent travellers (who probably make up a majority of the target audience, even on ba.com) don't have a clue about how to specify their phone numbers in international format.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
……. +7-xxx where your mobile number loses one figure and becomes registered with country code Russia?
Kazakhstan too.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Have you posted this in the BA glitches thread? BA appear to keep an eye on that rather than random postings
Old Nov 27, 2015, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
There's material for a Russian Reversal joke here somewhere...
Old Nov 27, 2015, 5:22 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Well for me it is even worse - the website scraps the +XX country code and since my number after the country code starts with 252, it puts a + in front of that and thinks I'm from Somalia! (bizarre, but true!)
Old Nov 27, 2015, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I spent almost an hour updating / fixing all contact numbers in my 62 bookings yesterday...
Old Nov 28, 2015, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Have you posted this in the BA glitches thread? BA appear to keep an eye on that rather than random postings
No, I did not think of it (I'll admit it is a thread I never read myself!) but that sounds like a very good idea so I will!

Originally Posted by Greenpen
Kazakhstan too.
Well, the reason why I said "Russia" is that when you look it up and see the wrong number, it does say: "Russia (+7), number 0xxx..." so one more reason why either you or the Kazakh embassy could join me in mentioning the bug to BA!

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Well for me it is even worse - the website scraps the +XX country code and since my number after the country code starts with 252, it puts a + in front of that and thinks I'm from Somalia! (bizarre, but true!)
What do you mean "worse", are you ranking countries? Coming to think of it, I wish BA had assigned me the Cook Islands or Polynesia, or something warm and funky!

Last edited by orbitmic; Nov 28, 2015 at 1:11 am
Old Nov 28, 2015, 1:38 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
I've checked all my future bookings, and only one of them has this issue, which was a joker booking made over the phone. Another (cash) booking made on the phone is fine, as are all the bookings made on BA.com.

Doesn't it pick up your number from your BAEC account when making the booking? In there the country code and number are separate fields, so not sure how this happens.

Thanks for posting orbitmic, I would never have checked this otherwise.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mine is stuck on "No I don't have a mobile phone" so it could be worse, I've been relegated to the position of a high court judge
Old Nov 28, 2015, 3:06 am

Programs: BAEC, A3 M&B
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I wouldn't care, but BA is already very bad (compared to some other airlines) are warning passengers of changes so I don't want them to have that excuse and I seem to perpetually need to change this back to the correct format on virtually all of my bookings!
Don't worry, BA won't notify you even if they have correct data. For my latest flight, they asked me 2 or 3 times during online booking whether I wanted to be notified in case of flight changes. Yes please I said, by text message and email. On the day, there were irrops and my departure was delayed about 7 times to a total of 1 hour 45 minutes. My Amadeus app faithfully sent me a push message with the details every single time. Actually so fast that my app kept informing not just me, but cabin crew as well. What did BA send to let me know? Nada, niente, rien, nichts, nothing!
Old Nov 28, 2015, 4:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by EuropeToAsia
Don't worry, BA won't notify you even if they have correct data.
LOL the only time BA ever called me was while I was having lunch in San Francisco about four hours before my flight back to LHR to inform me that I was being downgraded from F to J... or I could fly F on the next flight three hours later. I told them that I was absolutely not flying J and that I needed to be in London before noon, and If I was forced to downgrade I would be expecting 75% of the one-way F fare as cash compensation. They called me back after 20 minutes to confirm I was in 1A on the original flight and that there would not be any problems at check-in.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 4:31 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by London Dude
LOL the only time BA ever called me was while I was having lunch in San Francisco about four hours before my flight back to LHR to inform me that I was being downgraded from F to J... or I could fly F on the next flight three hours later. I told them that I was absolutely not flying J and that I needed to be in London before noon, and If I was forced to downgrade I would be expecting 75% of the one-way F fare as cash compensation. They called me back after 20 minutes to confirm I was in 1A on the original flight and that there would not be any problems at check-in.
Now that, in my eyes, is wholly appropriate DYKWIA behaviour

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.