Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bulkhead/Bassinet seat - to gamble, or not to gamble...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, A|Club, Tesco CC, Costa Coffee Club

So I'm travelling (in Y, boo-hoo) on a LH 767 on Sunday. Flight is pretty chokka (Expert Flyer showing J2, and all the rest now zeroed out - which pretty much why I ended up in Y when I booked a couple of weeks ago).

For this unaccustomed trip in the back of the plane, I was hoping to nab an exit row seat (27 A/B/J/K) but was too tight to pay the Ł58 (ISTR) when those were available only for a fee. I was hoping to nab one for free at T-72, but they seemed to open up earlier than that (I checked at around T-92, and they were already showing as occupied) so I missed the boat. My own fault, so not looking for any sympathy ;-)

Since then, I've had my eye on a bulkhead seat in the front economy cabin - row 16. ExpertFlyer and MMB agree that only 16A (window) and 16E (middle seat in centre block) are unoccupied. But MMB stops me moving myself into either of those seats - when I try, it says:
"Infant seat unavailable. Sorry, we cannot place Mr Larryflyer in a seat which has a cot position."

I'm guessing that the block will be removed at T-24, when online check-in opens? I'm not interested in seat 16E (would not want a middle seat, even on the bulkhead). But I am potentially interested in seat 16A.

The gamble is - how likely that 16B (already showing as occupied) is an adult with an attached infant - in which case, no thank you, I'll stick with my current seat 18D. I'm guessing it's VERY likely (verging towards certain), as that's the only way someone could have been assigned 16B already. Isn't it?

Last edited by larryflyer; Nov 27, 2015 at 11:29 am Reason: Typo
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:36 am

Agreed, 16B will be with a baby.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:04 pm

I may be wrong as I haven't checked, but I don't think the A and B seats can both be bassinets.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by larryflyer
But MMB stops me moving myself into either of those seats - when I try, it says:
"Infant seat unavailable. Sorry, we cannot place Mr Larryflyer in a seat which has a cot position."

I'm guessing that the block will be removed at T-24, when online check-in opens?
It always says that. Yes they will open up at T-24, but you can get put in them earlier (from when they appear on MMB) by calling up and getting an agent to do it. Usually agent will say no, but ask them to try anyway and it will work - often they will be quite surprised themselves by the fact they've managed to do it even though it's a cot seat!
Old Nov 27, 2015, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I believe the exit row seats block out for Silvers and below 4 days before only to reopen (those that are still free) at OLCI. Still for a fee, I believe, however.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, A|Club, Tesco CC, Costa Coffee Club
Originally Posted by Virazuno
It always says that. Yes they will open up at T-24, but you can get put in them earlier (from when they appear on MMB) by calling up and getting an agent to do it. Usually agent will say no, but ask them to try anyway and it will work - often they will be quite surprised themselves by the fact they've managed to do it even though it's a cot seat!
Okay, getting interesting now. IF (big if) windowonAtheside is correct, and the B seat is NOT officially designated as a cot seat (because I know the A seat definitely IS), then the B seat is most likely reserved by a solo traveller, with no infant. In which case the (blocked) cot seat at A is an attractive option after all.

Seatguru (as quoted on ExpertFlyer) claims all 5 bulkhead seats (AB DEF JK) are bassinet positions, but I'm not sure I trust that.

Last edited by larryflyer; Nov 27, 2015 at 5:32 pm Reason: typo; gave wrong user handle
Old Nov 27, 2015, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA6501
I believe the exit row seats block out for Silvers and below 4 days before only to reopen (those that are still free) at OLCI. Still for a fee, I believe, however.
Surely NO seats (even exit rows) require payment if selected at OLCI?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Now I'm even more confused.

MMB still shows the exit seats (27 A/B and 27J/K) as not available (apparently occupied).

BUT (in a change from last time I looked) ExpertFlyer shows only 27 A/B as occupied, with 27J and 27K apparently now free.

What's going on?

[Addendum: FWIW, now approaching T-37 for my flight]

Last edited by larryflyer; Nov 27, 2015 at 5:20 pm Reason: Adding info on time-before-flight
Old Nov 27, 2015, 5:22 pm

Seatguru (as quoted on ExpertFlyer) claims all 5 bulkhead seats (AB DEF JK) are bassinet positions, but I'm not sure I trust that.
This is not an area I know anything about, having never travelled with an infant. But I have travelled a lot in Y and often in bassinet seats - I just can't see how any twin Y seats could both be bassinet positions - how/where would they fit two cots in?

I just did a random dummy booking for a 767 and it shows the bassinets as 16A, E and K. Don't know if that's the same configuration as your flight - where are you going?

I like selecting bassinet seats in Y. It not only brings the benefit of no-one reclining into you, but it also means you won't be sat next to an infant
Old Nov 27, 2015, 5:25 pm

AFAIK, AEK only are cot seats. If they are showing as available on MMB, you can get an agent to put you in.

I would do this now (at >T-24) rather than pay for the now-available exit-row, if I were you. Then at OLCI, if you want to move into the exit row (for free), you can. Reasonably low risk that two GCHs/two paying SCHs would select the exit row between now and T-24.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I just did a random dummy booking for a 767 and it shows the bassinets as 16A, E and K. Don't know if that's the same configuration as your flight - where are you going?
AFAIK, AEK only are cot seats. If they are showing as available on MMB, you can get an agent to put you in.
Looks like you're both correct. I also just tried a dummy booking, and only AEK are flagged as cot positions. (I'd forgotten you can now choose seats on ba.com BEFORE you complete the booking, otherwise I'd have tried this before!).

So, 16A looks like a very good seat for me, if I can get it. Would I need to pay a 'service fee' to get this assigned over the phone, or can I plead a deficiency on the website in showing it as available, but then telling me I cannot select it as I have no infant? (Seems to be stretching a point, since the website is obviously programmed to do this quite deliberately!).

I'm only a SCH (wannabe GCH, but not until sometime next year on my current flying pattern!).

Last edited by larryflyer; Nov 28, 2015 at 3:37 am Reason: Minor change
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:02 pm

No service fee, nada. Just phone up and ask for it.

You may have to try a few times before you get an agent who can do it.

Generally the UK-based agents do it in one go, I've never managed to get an Indian-centre based agent to do it. I think there is actually a difference in how empowered the agents are in the two different locations, as I've actually never managed to get it done through India (they tried very hard and as much as they could but no dice), but have always managed it through a UK agent (on first attempt every time!)
Old Nov 28, 2015, 3:01 am
Original Poster

No service fee, nada. Just phone up and ask for it.

You may have to try a few times before you get an agent who can do it.

Generally the UK-based agents do it in one go, I've never managed to get an Indian-centre based agent to do it. I think there is actually a difference in how empowered the agents are in the two different locations, as I've actually never managed to get it done through India (they tried very hard and as much as they could but no dice), but have always managed it through a UK agent (on first attempt every time!)
You were right - except that I DID manage to get it done first time, AND the agent was (it sounded like) in the India call-centre!

Initial response was "That is a cot seat sir" - but (emboldened by your post) I explained "Yes I know, and that's why I can't make the change myself online, but I understand you should be able to assign me that seat from your end". It took the guy a couple of minutes, but then all was done (and immediately reflected in MMB for confirmation).

I love this place!

(Now just got to hope I don't get some 'passenger from hell' in seat 16B...)
Old Nov 28, 2015, 3:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
On my last attempt, the agent steadfastly refused to do it - first time this happened to me

EDIT - pretty sure the agent I spoke to had a foreign name/accent - maybe I got through to India (makes note to self for future)

YMMV
Old Nov 28, 2015, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by GeeMac
EDIT - pretty sure the agent I spoke to had a foreign name/accent - maybe I got through to India (makes note to self for future)
Do you have a method of guaranteeing a UK agent? (apart from Gold line)

That would be......handy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.