Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Engagement ring - Best way to earn even more Avios?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club

Looking to ask my other half the big question when we're in San Francisco during Christmas and New Year (to keep it on topic... while taking advantage of the ex-CPH part-Pay Avios extremely cheap CW fares posted a few months ago!).

Does anyone know of any intresting ways to earn additional Avios points when purchasing an Engagment ring?

I'm planning to purchase with my BA AMEX and relatively open to purchasing online.

Any advise appreciated
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:04 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
Do Tesco do engagement rings...?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:09 am

Buy in LHR,earn Heathrow rewards and convert to Avios.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:11 am

Ernst Jones regularly offer 12 avios per pound if you buy via BA gate365.

Congratulations (on getting more avios...)!
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by rapidex
Buy in LHR,earn Heathrow rewards and convert to Avios.
And there is also a sign-up promotion with Heathrow rewards to get 6,000 avios.

http://www.headforpoints.com/2015/11...th-6000-avios/

Plus extra promo on jewellery - http://www.headforpoints.com/2015/11...y-watch-bonus/
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:18 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by CatchThePigeon
Ernst Jones regularly offer 12 avios per pound if you buy via BA gate365.

Congratulations (on getting more avios...)!
I did consider this when I was in the market for one - but not even I could justify that! Just sucked it up and went into shops to look at them in person.

Paid on my BA Amex, obviously!
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:19 am

I think you have to find *the* ring first and then see if you can earn Avios on it. if you restrict your shopping to Avios friendly outlets you may never live it down when she finds out...
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MILLEMIGLIA Freccia Alata, M&M Blue
Originally Posted by mmogdan
Does anyone know of any intresting ways to earn additional Avios points when purchasing an Engagment ring?
You guys are definitely crazy!
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M FF
It's actually possible to earn both Avios and Tier points, if a proper Flyertalk mentality is adopted.

For example, find a good ex-EU fare to JNB and research online reputable jewellers in Jo'burg (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...r-holiday.html)

Hey presto, TP run, Avios accumulation, and ring possibly below UK retail price. As the article notes, it's possible to save the cost of the flights adopting this approach.

And, for course, it sets appropriate standards of reasonable behaviour properly for your future together - opening up the realistic possibility of an HNL TP run for your honeymoon...
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:00 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Forget about the avios, take a trip to Hatton Gardens and do some research on the retailer websites and ebay (yes really, lots of HG and other sellers there) so you know what you should be paying. Then haggle, and find out the premium for a credit card before you decide whether to bother.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mmogdan
Any advise appreciated
I'll give you some advice: Focus on the ring. Buy one that you think she will like. Be mindful of the four Cs (especially clarity), and spend as much as you feel comfortable. This is not a time to be thinking of Avios.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:19 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite

You're probably cheaper flying to Dubai and buying the diamond wholesale. They'll throw in a platinum band and mount for free. I got a 1.2ct solitaire D colour VSI1 and excellent everything else with platinum mount for £3k.

Don't waste your time in UK shops. You'll get fleeced. And pay ridiculous tax.

Hope she says yes!
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M FF
Did you smuggle it into the UK, or were you a good boy and paid tax? :-P
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:40 am

Assuming you are looking at diamonds (and don't want to travel anywhere else to buy the ring) I think they are cheaper in the US than the UK anyway - I know when we bought our wedding rings in NYC the money we saved vs UK prices paid for the taxes on our flights (we had used an Amex 241 and gone on the Baby Bus).
You wouldn't earn any extra avios but the money you save will probably be far more than any avios would be worth... and if you are concerned about the fees get a Lloyds Duo card as they have no forex fees and at the mo even the standard one is earning double avois so you could get 2.5 per £ with the Amex.

Also, in agreement with WindowontheAside, you do really need to see the ring in person and make a choice that way, remember she will be wearing it every day for the rest of her life so it needs to be perfect!

Good luck
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:44 am

Tesco sell engagement rings so look on their website. Some rings are as cheap as £15 which would come with 15 Clubcard points worth 36 Avios, and there would be no problem returning it if needs be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.