Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Current position on priority tags for GCH in Y

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Current position on priority tags for GCH in Y

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2015, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by kt74
What's unfortunate is the way it is communicated to members - e.g. the first time I was at the F check-in counter and queried why I wasn't getting a priority tag as I always did before BA took over bmi, the agent looked at me and berated me in a volume designed to be heard by as may people in the surrounding queue as possible ...
Therefore the wisdom of that which is said about the position at T5: The primary purpose of the priority baggage tag is to stop passengers from asking for a priority tag.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by andset1191
They do on long haul.
I'm afraid that if your bags arrive near the front, then it's luck
Old Nov 27, 2015, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
I'm afraid that if your bags arrive near the front, then it's luck
Even when all the priority tagged bags do this?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Virazuno
Even when all the priority tagged bags do this?
Yes, as much as that is somewhat contradictory. BA just does not do priority baggage, nor it is a benefit that is offered, irrespective of the pretty tags attached to our bags.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
I don't know why BA don't do this - plenty of other carriers do in one world and other alliances, and it would make sense for oneworld benefits to be consistent. It is so much more pleasant arriving into T2 and seeing bags come out first - just as it is very quick and easy to depart T2 using 'gold track' security. I always allow an extra half hour when arriving into T5 or Gatwick BA in Y/WTP, compared to T2 or other airports. Sometimes even this it is not enough time.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime
Originally Posted by TGflyergirl
They are most certainly NOT for show. They are for the amusement of BA Baggage handlers. It breaks up the monotony of having just a single colour on the tags. "Spot the yellow one" is currently the top sport in the basement of T5.
Why would baggage handlers be in the basement of T5?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Yes, as much as that is somewhat contradictory. BA just does not do priority baggage, nor it is a benefit that is offered, irrespective of the pretty tags attached to our bags.
What's your source for that?

BA advertise priority handling on their webpage and their baggage system at T5 is designed to do it on longhaul. When I used to check luggage regularly I found priority bags worked reliably most of the time, but of course we only remember the times it doesn't. The tags are not an important part of the process because it is all computerised.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Calchas
When I used to check luggage regularly I found priority bags worked reliably most of the time, but of course we only remember the times it doesn't.
In contrast, I only remember the few occasions they did actually work.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 12:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
In contrast, I only remember the few occasions they did actually work.
and by the law of averages your bag will come out first sometimes

and this "it is available for long haul" what about the thousands of passengers who connect to long haul from domestic/short haul? Do we never get the benefit?
Old Nov 28, 2015, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
and this "it is available for long haul" what about the thousands of passengers who connect to long haul from domestic/short haul? Do we never get the benefit?
Yes, you should on the outbound. It's arranged at LHR by putting the priority bags together into the first bin to be unloaded from the aircraft. Assuming that at the far end, the bin order is not disrupted, they will be the first onto the carousel.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 1:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
and by the law of averages your bag will come out first sometimes
Absolutely. In the past I've been guilty of thinking that whenever my bags come off promptly it's down to priority tags but, in reality, I suspect it usually has very little to do with them.

I've learned not to rely on any sort of priority handling so I'm never disappointed.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

If the system is computerised and my own personal experiences is that in some stations it worked quite well when travelling Y then it must mean that the system is offering priority handling for GCH in Y. Otherwise the only other conclusions are pot luck (which is not likely considering success rate in some stations) or the paper priority tags themselves give priority.

By the way, if its only for Business and First, presumably that includes Business UK as well.

It would be interesting to hear how it works in the CI system. I will endeavour to find out.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hugolover
Thanks for the replies.

If the system is computerised and my own personal experiences is that in some stations it worked quite well when travelling Y then it must mean that the system is offering priority handling for GCH in Y. Otherwise the only other conclusions are pot luck (which is not likely considering success rate in some stations) or the paper priority tags themselves give priority.

By the way, if its only for Business and First, presumably that includes Business UK as well.

It would be interesting to hear how it works in the CI system. I will endeavour to find out.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't apply to Business UK because shorthaul journeys are not covered.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 3:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Petroleum
My first thought based on recent experience long and short haul into and out of T5/T3 is that my bag almost always seems to come off in the first batch, tagged or not, both at Heathrow and the outstations. Maybe I am lucky or maybe the computerised priority system actually works.

Tagging itself seems very inconsistent. T5 First check in staff seem never to tag these days, outstations in Europe and US always do still.

Flying out of T3 long haul three weeks ago I got no tags at all but flying out of there short haul on Thursday, something brand new... A yellow First Priority tag with the grey First part ripped off!
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
At EDI they always put a priority tag on my bag, I never ask for it. This is when flying down to LHR even on the cheap domestic fares (with no onward connections in F or J). I am a mere silver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.