Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Understanding the rules for domestic semi-flex fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2015, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver, Flying Blue Zilch, East Coast Rewards Lots&lots, Miles & More nada

Although I often travel on semi-flex fares on UK domestics, I have rarely needed to exploit the flexibility they offer. A recent experience has suggested that I may not fully understand the rules that apply, or perhaps that agents have differing interpretations of the rules - or even that both these things are true

So, I'm seeking either information gained from experience, or from someone who believes they truly understand the fare rules, and in particular the part that applies to fee-free changes on the day of travel. In particular - is there a time limit for requesting that change? Does it have to be made before the departure time of the originally-booked flight? Does it have to be made before special cut-off time before the new flight?

I ask because last week I was booked on an evening departure (18.35) from LHR to EDI on a semiflex ticket. On the day my plans changed leaving me free much earlier than I had expected. I thought I might just make the 16,30, but certainly the 17.35. I got to the customer service desk at 15.31. I was surprised to be told that if I wanted to get on the 16.30, there would be a fare difference to pay. The agent said that fee-free changes could only be made more than 1hr before the departure time of the new flight. I didn't argue, switched to the 17.35 and sampled the wine offerings in the lounge instead.

This week I booked another semi-flex for the same LHR-EDI flight. I looked closely at the conditions during the booking process and nowhere could I see this rule mentioned. On this occasion, there's a significant chance that I won't get to LHR in time to make conformance, which will mean a much later flight. I want the flexibility to be on the earlier flight if possible, and to have a fee-free change to the later flight if it isn't. Semi-flex seems ideal for this. But I'm now concerned about when and how I have to make the change. Does it have to be done before the original departure time, or is it more like a fully-flex ticket on the day? If I check in for the original flight online, does that make a difference?

Thanks for any insight anyone can offer.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 4:22 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Does this help?

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...horthaul-fares
Flights can be changed on the same day for free to an early or later available flight. The customer’s original flight and the flight they change to; must both be within 00:00 and 23:59 local time of the departure airport. At least 1 hour’s notice must be given prior to the scheduled departure time.

The routing (origin and destination airports) must remain unchanged. Routing or date changes made on the original day of departure may incur fare and/or tax differences, as usual.

Changes are subject to availability on the new flight in the same cabin as the original flight. Free changes on the day are only available to Semi-Flex and Fully-Flex customers travelling on Shorthaul or Domestic point-to-point routes.

Free changes on day are not specified on the fare rules in your GDS, due to the special conditions and process.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 4:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The fare rules regarding changes are shown on ba.com when you get to the quote page, like this:

Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:00 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
I was just about to say the easiest way to double check is exactly how KARFA had suggested, on the booking screen under the fare rules section. However after quickly checking booking into the cheapest semi flex without on the day change fees, it appears the OP is actually correct. Most of the basic info is there, but I can't find anything that says "At least 1 hour’s notice must be given prior to the scheduled departure time."

Clearly the rules were correctly applied, but without Prospero's link one would maybe struggle to find this rule.

Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:14 am

Looks like this is another example of a BA.com error - is there a thread where it can be reported?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TyneTraveller
I was just about to say the easiest way to double check is exactly how KARFA had suggested, on the booking screen under the fare rules section. However after quickly checking booking into the cheapest semi flex without on the day change fees, it appears the OP is actually correct. Most of the basic info is there, but I can't find anything that says "At least 1 hour’s notice must be given prior to the scheduled departure time."
Good point, I didn't realise that the 1 hr notice was not shown on the quote page.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Good point, I didn't realise that the 1 hr notice was not shown on the quote page.
Neither did I until looking further into it......highly odd as it's a key rule of the fare not to make readily available.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 11:45 pm
DPW

I've bought 'H' and 'B' class semi-flex fares (on domestics) before and not been allowed to change on the day, despite there being plenty of available seats. BA were only selling 'R' fares on the day, which I must say always seems to be the case. So, if 'H' and 'B' domestic fares don't seem to be available on the day, how exactly is one supposed to utilise the benefit of a semi-flex ticket? Is it all just a big con?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by DPW
I've bought 'H' and 'B' class semi-flex fares (on domestics) before and not been allowed to change on the day, despite there being plenty of available seats. BA were only selling 'R' fares on the day, which I must say always seems to be the case. So, if 'H' and 'B' domestic fares don't seem to be available on the day, how exactly is one supposed to utilise the benefit of a semi-flex ticket? Is it all just a big con?
Now that is interesting. I didn't know that the same selling class has to be available to changed semi-flex tickets on the day, and am still not sure that that's correct. Were you perhaps trying to change within the hour as above, for which the rule isn't overly easy to spot?

They're not the type of tickets that suit my needs as a general stand, but if the rules are adhered to correctly by the traveller and agents alike, I think they represent quite good value for on the day flexibility compared to the other fully flexible options (and H/B offer full TP's too)? I wouldn't describe them as a con, just a bit more digging around on the rules is needed before purchase/transfer on all sides.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by DPW
Selling class on the day doesn't matter - sounds like you had a staff member who hadn't been properly trained. I'd have been chasing a refund after that!
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M FF
I've found the same. Unable to use semi-flex to change on the day of travel since I was advised the same fare class must be available on the earlier flight, not simply available seats, and there were no more seats in the class I had booked. Since this, I have stopped buying semi-flex as I can't have a reasonable level of certainty that I will be able to change.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 4:18 am

My understanding is that on H/B bucket tickets, that should not be the case.

Most tickets are to some extent flexible on the day incurring a change fee (usually £60 for domestic flights) and the difference in fare between original ticket and the ticket cost available at the time of change.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by patentlyobvious
I've found the same. Unable to use semi-flex to change on the day of travel since I was advised the same fare class must be available on the earlier flight, not simply available seats, and there were no more seats in the class I had booked. Since this, I have stopped buying semi-flex as I can't have a reasonable level of certainty that I will be able to change.
Wow. Just wow.

The whole point of these tickets is to allow changes as long as there is a seat free (regardless of bucket). Waterside lurkers - look and see how your good ideas to compete against Easyjet are being let down by poor training & controls, and costing your company hard cash.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 4:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by DPW
Welcome to Flyertalk DPW, welcome in particular to the British Airways board. It's great to see new people joining up with us here, so thank you for the question. As indicated the fare rules will indicate the semi flex nature rather than the fare buckets H/B etc but the fare buckets are useful in terms of a having a free transfer or not for other tickets. At H level I would normally expect at least some flexibility.

Having said that, I've looked at LHR to NCL and to EDI for travel today, a busy Friday. NCL there is no H available today, there aren't so many services, they're looking quite full and it's now showing Y9 H0 for all services. EDI is more complex, but the evening flights are filling up, but there is some H available (e.g. the very late BA1464 - a 767 at 20:55 and unpopular with weekly commuters, is showing:
J9 C9 D9 R9 I9 Y9 B7 H3 K2 M0 LC VC NC QC OC SC G1
The G1 tells me this flight is not full by any means.

So in short, you need to be careful with tickets other than semi flex. If ticketed in Y, it is probably OK, but won't be cheap normally, but if at B and below is probably best for mid week, middle of the day travel on less busy services.

When BA says R only, it's typically in the final hour before departure, it's not routine for further out.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Nov 27, 2015 at 4:57 am Reason: Corrected, see 710 77345 below
Old Nov 27, 2015, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I've looked at LHR to NCL and to EDI for travel today, a busy Friday. NCL there is no H available today, there aren't so many services, they're looking quite full and it's now showing Y9 H0 for all services.

So in short, you need to be careful with semi flex. Semi flex in Y is probably OK, but won't be cheap normally, but semi flex at B and below is probably best for mid week, middle of the day travel on less busy services.
This is totally wrong; you don't need to be careful or pay for more expensive fares if you just want to change on the day. As long as it is a semi flex fare - even a (relatively) cheap one - then you can switch on the day to a plane that has one seat available for sale at a full Y price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.