Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA/IAG CEO Willie Walsh Describes LHR As 'rip-off'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2015, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

Why London Heathrow is ripping us off? Why? What a waste!!!

It is very extremely expensive. This must stop! STOP RIPPING IT OFF!!! Must save the money and makes a lower.

http://www.bmmagazine.co.uk/newswire...-willie-walsh/

The chief executive of International Airlines Group — whose subsidiaries include British Airways, Iberia and Aer Lingus — insisted that airports charged “far too much” in landing fees, with the scale of charges damaging the aviation industry. Heathrow, Europe’s biggest airport, was already the worst offender, even before it was granted approval to expand, he said.
Good riddance to London Heathrow!!!
Old Nov 24, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
My heart bleeds for him, just think of the extra profits/bonuses he could achieve if he could squeeze Heathrow the same way he has done his customers and staff. To paraphrase what many on here have said when people have criticised BA, if he is not happy he should chose a different airport to operate from.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 4:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
My heart bleeds for him, just think of the extra profits/bonuses he could achieve if he could squeeze Heathrow the same way he has done his customers and staff. To paraphrase what many on here have said when people have criticised BA, if he is not happy he should chose a different airport to operate from.

Well said.

if LHR is such a PITA for BA why keep the vast majority of your eggs in the LHR basket ?

Use the commercial force of BA to get yourself a better deal at LGW, MAN, BHX etc

Or keep things at LHR as they are and when new routes come to be launched, do it at LGW

cs
Old Nov 24, 2015, 4:36 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

In some ways it's funny how the airports were told they couldn't all be owned by one company and required to compete with one another, meantime bmi was swallowed into BA, Flybe is partially owned by BA and Aer Lingus is swallowed into IAG.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by andset1191
In some ways it's funny how the airports were told they couldn't all be owned by one company and required to compete with one another, meantime bmi was swallowed into BA, Flybe is partially owned by BA and Aer Lingus is swallowed into IAG.
Don't think IAG have a share in BE anymore.

cs
Old Nov 24, 2015, 4:45 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Don't think IAG have a share in BE anymore.

cs
Good shout - I missed this!
Old Nov 24, 2015, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I suspect he's comparing LHR to airports in certain areas in the world which like their airlines are state owned.

Can't see much changing.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 4:55 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

With the estimated costs of delivering a third runway now reportedly exceeding £18 billion, I think the CEO of the largest user of the airport is quite right to question and voice concerns over HAL's cost management given the present funding mechanism.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 5:37 pm
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Does anyone have access to the landing fees? I'd really like to see it

I had access to YYZ landing fees several years ago:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canad...ees-world.html

It cost $11687 to land a 744 at YYZ, which is almost $34 per passenger on a 345-passenger 744! If LHR approaches anywhere near these figures, that does add up quite fast for BA's fleet...

(yes, I know BA does not fly the 747 to YYZ.)
Old Nov 24, 2015, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by mattking2000
They used to but now we're back to the old horrible 777's...
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:20 pm

It's his job to complain about it, but its also his own fault for stripping BA's operation down elsewhere. It will be a good day for us all when this current management group retires off to the sunshine.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by N830MH
Why London Heathrow is ripping us off? Why? What a waste!!!

It is very extremely expensive. This must stop! STOP RIPPING IT OFF!!! Must save the money and makes a lower.
says the representative of a company ripping people off with surcharges
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by mattking2000
Does anyone have access to the landing fees? I'd really like to see it

I had access to YYZ landing fees several years ago:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canad...ees-world.html

It cost $11687 to land a 744 at YYZ, which is almost $34 per passenger on a 345-passenger 744! If LHR approaches anywhere near these figures, that does add up quite fast for BA's fleet...

As long as YYZ is still charging it in $CAD and hasn't increased it BA is paying at least 20% less from say 3 years ago and with the the huge drop in aviation fuel prices this goes a long way to explaining the cheap I fare prices on BA TATL from Canada the last few years.................
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:57 pm

Programs: BAEC silver
Heathrow Landing fees.

http://www.heathrow.com/file_source/...5April2014.pdf

Plus you have to park the fleet......

Aircraft parking charges were last consulted upon in March 2011 and as result of that process a period of free parking was introduced to encourage more efficient use of stands. The following conditions were set through the Heathrow Conditions of Use (Schedule 5) to provide free parking (reflects 2015 prices):
3.1 The following charges for parking aircraft at the Airport:

3.1.1 Wide Bodied Aircraft
3.1.1.1 There is no charge for the first 90 minutes
3.1.1.2 Charge per 15 minutes or part thereof after the free period is:£51.26

3.1.2 Narrow Bodied Aircraft
3.1.2.1 There is no charge for the first 30 minutes
3.1.2.2 Charge per 15 minutes or part thereof after the free period is:£21.36

These charges will apply whilst the aircraft is parked on areas designated as Airport parking areas, whether the aircraft is secured to the ground or to a structure on the Airport or is left on the ground unsecured.
3.2 Parking is free between the hours of 2200 and 0559 UTC (GMT) from 1 April to 31 March.

3.4 Parking charges will be applied from Chocks On to Chocks Off.

3.5 In this paragraph 3 (Parking Charges):

3.5.1 Wide Bodied Aircraft shall include aircraft with the following classifications 332, 333, 343, 346, 358, 359, 351, 388, 744, 763, 764, 772, 74Y, 76B, 77A, 77W, 788, 789; and

3.5.2 Narrow Bodied Aircraft shall include aircraft with the following classifications 100, 318, 319, 320, 321, 733, 738, 73G, AT5, AT7, CR7, E90, E95, ER3, ER4, F70, M81, 75W, 752.

Heathrow believes that the free parking period promotes fast aircraft turnarounds and encourages the most efficient use of stands. Heathrow is not proposing any changes to current parking charging structure.
But am I right in thinking the BA hangars and engineering areas do not attract those charges?

Last edited by ACARS; Nov 24, 2015 at 11:05 pm
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
says the representative of a company ripping people off with surcharges
That's illegal!!! That's not right! He lied to all of those people. That's a problem. There is no cheap fares at all. They are ripping off!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.