Wiki Posts
Search

Best route for First value

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold
Best route for First value

I would like to fly F at least once and I am not a prolific BA/OW traveller so I'm going to have to stump up cash for it. I am expecting to head to the US a fair few times next year so I was thinking about doing LHR to NYC outbound in F and back in Y (I sleep easily transatlantic since I always have a few glasses of vino before stepping on a plane).

However, are there any better routes to do it on for value? I have LA, Toronto, Montreal, DC, and possibly Orlando on my list of possible destinations.

I am also preferring outbound so I get to see the Concorde Room.

Any advice gratefully received
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:10 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
A longer flight would provide more 'value', as would being on a newer aircraft. The A380 F cabin is the most spacious.

Do you consider a flight that is twice as long but twice the price to be equal in value?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus Gold for Life, SPG Plat Elite
Orlando would not work as there is no F cabin on the flights
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by abraxias
I would like to fly F at least once and I am not a prolific BA/OW traveller so I'm going to have to stump up cash for it. I am expecting to head to the US a fair few times next year so I was thinking about doing LHR to NYC outbound in F and back in Y (I sleep easily transatlantic since I always have a few glasses of vino before stepping on a plane).

However, are there any better routes to do it on for value? I have LA, Toronto, Montreal, DC, and possibly Orlando on my list of possible destinations.

Any advice gratefully received
If paying outright in cash then I concur that a longer route would be better so LAX on the A380 would be a good choice. Also Miami (for Orlando) could be an option - you could try both the B747 and A380.

However it may be better value to get a sale fare in J and upgrade with Avios, in which case somewhere like New York would be best as there's often both the cheap J fares and upgrade availability.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:29 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Foltan
. Also Miami (for Orlando) could be an option - you could try both the B747 and A380.
Although Miami wouldn't get her/him access to the Concord Room.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
I would focus on finding the cheapest, all BA F is much of a muchness, except for those that fly it weekly and will spot the small differences.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:34 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by abraxias

If you live in Gibraltar, surely on inbound from JFK would be advantageous because you'd be able to sample the Concorde Room at both JFK and LHR (if you had an onward flight home with a lengthy connection, which could be in economy).
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:41 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by headingwest
If you live in Gibraltar, surely on inbound from JFK would be advantageous because you'd be able to sample the Concorde Room at both JFK and LHR (if you had an onward flight home with a lengthy connection, which could be in economy).
That's a very good point, also cost wise is probably the cheapest, and provides a good cross section of the product available.

I would avoid MCO for the purposes of this trip. No CCR or even a specific BA lounge date depending, and although recently there has been a few 4 class 777 in operation, usually it's just 3.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, Subcard
LHR-GIG is a good F flight as its a long day time flight that takes off at lunchtime and arrives at night. Two full meals served as well. If you get to the CCR room early you can also enjoy breakfast.

Its also a good route to upgrade from CW to F using avios.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
I'd concur with others and say to look at which are daytime flights, as these are the best for really enjoying the F experience.

T
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:52 am

Was there a reason why you'd pick BA over other airlines with first class cabins?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:59 am

Ex-eu and some clubcards points...

CPHorDUB-LHR-JFK-LHR-DUBorCPH for around £850-£1000 for J rtn.

Make sure to go on an off-peak day that has availability, 18,000 avios for the day flight UUA to First and just take 64K on the 744 back. Might be worth an extra 18,000 on the home for both the CCR at JFK and LHR.

MIA is also a good choice if you can get the 388 but there is no CCR in T3.

Originally Posted by GTR56
Its also a good route to upgrade from CW to F using avios.
Near impossable to get UUA from J to F on GIG route... Been trying for months
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:07 am

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stewaran
I would focus on finding the cheapest, all BA F is much of a muchness, except for those that fly it weekly and will spot the small differences.
Really? Have you checked the seats on the A380 and tried the tasting menu?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, Subcard
Originally Posted by Calum
Near impossable to get UUA from J to F on GIG route... Been trying for months
Strange, I can usually see a few dates with it. Just had a quick search and there is a seat, Thursday, for next week there is Wed + Thu (2 seats) + Friday.
I had no problem last year upgrading.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by morges1
Really? Have you checked the seats on the A380 and tried the tasting menu?
No i havent sadly!

but to the OP who says he/she hasn't ever flown F, IMO this is a small difference.
And if he can get a 777/747/789 for substantially less £ then that would be my advice.

My 1 sector in F was a very disappointing experience, the legacy of which is that i would never buy an F ticket over CW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.