Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA & 2 minutes silence for armistice day

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Major LOL this thread. Dissenting opinions quickly beaten down, BAEC FT at its best.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Good…

I am glad the company does this.
Here Here!!!!
Old Nov 11, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by FlyingB1975
My apologies if this has caused offense, but I am not British and did not grow up in the UK. As such I merely observed that it looks weird from the outside and I would personally never wear a poppy. Which of course is not meant as a criticism of any of you doing so or the practice in general.
Does not look weird in Canada.

hugolover...you have to be kidding me. yours is the only trolling comment.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
My apologies if this has caused offense, but I am not British and did not grow up in the UK. As such I merely observed that it looks weird from the outside and I would personally never wear a poppy. Which of course is not meant as a criticism of any of you doing so or the practice in general.
Don't be apologising to the people on the internet. Personally I don't see what's offensive about what you said. Looking objectively at it, your point is rational. Should BA (a public company operating worldwide) be doing this? Can I understand that there are parts of the world that would find it offensive considering some of the things that have happened, of course, that is plainly obvious. The poppy hysteria that has taken over the country has gone too far. A presenter on TV was recently harassed because her hair covered her poppy. Forcing people to wear it or take part in a two minute silence is going directly against the grain of what it should represent, but that is OMNI territory.

My personal view is that the two minute silence is a nice thing to observe, I am glad BA do it at T5. Importantly you are not forced to observe so if you are that way inclined don't worry about it. You or anyone else not observing the 2 minute silence or not wearing a poppy will not in any way offend me.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by sebastiansw3
I tend to agree with your view on this.
So first you say that you think that British Airways should have a British CEO. But now it should behave as an "international" airline? Isn't that contradictory in the slightest?
Old Nov 11, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by Roger
LBC Radio just observed the 2 minutes silence, albeit with 'noise' so that tuners-in would recognise LBC was still on air.
Completely OT, but the reason for 'ambient' noise, with birds tweeting or distant traffic, is to give some sort of output to prevent the poignant silence being disrupted after 20 seconds by the crash of a dead air filling track, meant for technical difficulty. I used to work in rock music radio and this was especially important - you don't want the emergency Iron Maiden minidisc to come in on November 11th!

I like that BA did it. My big multinational company announced the silence, asked staff to refrain from printing and noise out of respect for others, and announced the end of 2 minutes.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by mario
So first you say that you think that British Airways should have a British CEO. But now it should behave as an "international" airline? Isn't that contradictory in the slightest?
I was roundly put back in my box for thinking that British Airways should be British by some of the very people in this thread who are now demanding it be British. I suggest that I am not the one expressing contradictory opinions! You can't have it both ways!
Old Nov 11, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA, HA
A salute from the ends of the earth

Fascinating thread to follow from across the pond (twice over, I suppose). In the U.S. we call it Veterans Day since 1954, and it's become more a focus on living veterans, trading places with our Memorial Day in May, which focuses on the dead. From what I've seen, I think you Brits (generally, of course) honor today with more institutional reverence and more dissenting voices. Here most everybody is somewhat blandly for "it." But it's most striking that you've kept an eye toward the specific event 104 years ago.

Originally Posted by jcm9000
Also some brief stats: WW1 only: UK believed to lose a million, France 1.7m, Italy over a million, Russia 3m, Serbia a million (a quarter of their population), German Empire 2.8m, Ottoman Empire, 3m (15% of their population). 18m dead, and that was before the influenza outbreak that was undoubtedly caused by the war.
^ Thanks for the numbers, jcm9000.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Personally I think that this is entirely fitting and appropriate.
I have been working in my NHS Hospital and it is observed.
I used to work in M/S and it is observed.
Today even the Overground managed to observe it.

It is not just about Brits in 2 wars it is about all those who have laid down their lives in conflict. They made the ultimate sacrifice so that we hopefully never have to.

I have the utmost respect and I find it 'weird' anyone finds it different. For 2 minutes of silence and respect we all get 525,598 minutes of freedom. It surely cannot be too much to ask.

Good on BA - the right and proper thing to do......

FD.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, X Elite+
There was also a 2 min silence on Sunday (11/8) and back in July (7/7). The entire airport grinds to a halt, which is amazing to see.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 1:41 am

Programs: BAEC silver
FlyingB1975 I'm assuming you are from the USA and know about the Vietnam War? If so you will know around 57000 US soldiers were killed as a result of this war.

In Britain Remembrance Day now covers all wars but is still primarily linked to Workd War I which of course had nothing to do with the USA, or did it? Well actually 116000 American service men died in Workd War I, very nearly double Vietnam. So yesterday your men were being remembered alongside ours.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 1:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Swampz64
FlyingB1975 I'm assuming you are from the USA and know about the Vietnam War? If so you will know around 57000 US soldiers were killed as a result of this war.

In Britain Remembrance Day now covers all wars but is still primarily linked to Workd War I which of course had nothing to do with the USA, or did it? Well actually 116000 American service men died in Workd War I, very nearly double Vietnam. So yesterday your men were being remembered alongside ours.
I think it should be pointed out that poppies used to be distributed in the US by the American Legion. As far as I know, some American Legion halls still do it. However, unlike in the UK this is not done leading up to Armistice Day (Veterans Day in the US) but Memorial Day, which falls at the end of May.

Poppies on Memorial Day are not as common as during the period leading up to Remembrance Sunday and Armistice Day in the UK, but they are there and the tradition does exist in the US.

H
Old Nov 12, 2015, 3:17 am

The method or day that we remember the dead is not important, it is the act itself. Armistice Day is an important focus and helps formalise the process. I am proud to honour that tradition and it helps me to have a quite moment to remember that two of my relatives were respectively gassed in the trenches and torpedoed in both WWI and II. I respect some others may not understand our traditions of memorial but would ask them to be polite enough as to respect them. That a British Company chooses to honour this tradition should be of no great surprise, except maybe to those that do not understand the British. I would happily honour the US Memorial Day traditions and the ANZAC day memorials and indeed any remeberances held for war dead around the world be they for our allies or for those we fought against, I would not force others to do the same. Wear a poppy or don't but try to show a little respect for the memory of the dead.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 3:25 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
Wear a poppy or don't but try to show a little respect for the memory of the dead.
Absolutely.

I have reservations about our country's relationship with Remembrance but it is important to remember that the vast majority of British people find it a worthwhile and constructive event. I always partake in the silence and I would defend anybody's right to stand up for the tradition, even at an international airport. It's two minutes of your life.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 4:03 am

I accept this as a cultural thing, but find the British poppy/remembrance obsession pretty weird. I guess nobody gets harmed in a 2 minute service delay in the CCR, but as an international airline it may be more appropriate to keep the sort of thing private.
Keep what private? Half the country comes to a standstill for those two minutes as people pay their respects. I can't see the CCR staff are any different and whether they do it in public or private will still result in a 2 minute delay to someone's BA burger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.