Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA worker 'suspended for taking backhanders from celebs'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA worker 'suspended for taking backhanders from celebs'

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by NickB
This is patently not true. With median house prices around 315K in London, it just is not the case that there are "a lot of people with a house of that value."
Well, it may be that in planet DV or planet prospero, or generally planet Flyertalk-GB, there are lots of people who "self-certificated" and purchased house several times "with the maximum gearing each time" and ended up with houses worth over 800K. The idea that this is a typical experience in the population at large is, imo, fanciful and quite simply not borne out by the numbers on median house prices.

It seems to me that some people on this board tend to extrapolate from their own lives and those of their families and friends and assume that they are reasonably representative of a substantial part of the population whereas, in reality, they represent a small proportion towards the higher end of the income distribution.

Really? I am above mid-40s; my income is higher than Ł35K; I live in London; I have changed properties over 3 times and my current house is not remotely near Ł800K. And most of the people around me also have houses which have much lower values than this (when they own a house, that is).
The very fact that you consider it "difficult" for somebody of that age/income not to have a house near Ł800K just shows how much your worldview is shaped by your own personal experience and social circle.

I stated in my first post on this that one should not attempt to extrapolate to the situation of the individual discussed in the article. I stand by this.
I don't think the median price is very helpful in this context, and I doubt very much that the figure refers to houses. It is more likely to be the median figure for all residential property. The reality is I'm not sure where you could buy a house for Ł315K in London now, unless you travel to its furthest extremities, whereas 10 years ago you would have a wide choice of properties across the capital. Incomes have not risen to the same extent during that period. To that extent, I'm relying on my experience; I know that London property has become very expensive.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 7:20 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by J_B
The irony to all this is that of this guy does (did?) lose his job and chose to write a tell-all book about his experiences working with celebs then those same papers would be falling over themselves to serialise it.
That's only if there is enough in the way of material. I doubt that Diva behaviour is actually as commonplace amongst celebs as it is reported to be. I wouldn't mind betting that a lot of it is invented by PR people to make some of them appear interesting.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Bobbie2013
Blimey, I'm 30 and live in a Ł1.2m property on which I have no mortgage and don't rent, nor am I a HNWI. Goodness knows what theories you throw out there about me based on that and with no other background info...

Personally, I'm quite intrigued by the actual story, does anyone know more about the extent to which this chap was 'bending' the rules?
According to Zoopla my house is worth just north of Ł1.7m which is nothing like what I paid for it* (a fact I comfort myself with when I remember) and I'm in my early forties.

*it went up not down, before some smart alec steps in to make a joke
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
That's only if there is enough in the way of material. I doubt that Diva behaviour is actually as commonplace amongst celebs as it is reported to be. I wouldn't mind betting that a lot of it is invented by PR people to make some of them appear interesting.
Steve Davis springs to mind
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by NickB
This is patently not true. With median house prices around 315K in London, it just is not the case that there are "a lot of people with a house of that value."
I suspect we disagree on what constitutes "a lot". I don't think any of us interpret "a lot" to mean typical/the majority etc. A lot of people in the UK have blue eyes although they may only represent a minority of the population.

There are about 8.5m people living in Greater London. A median price of 315k means that more than half of those people live in properties worth more than 315k (because on average the properties housing more people will be more expensive than the ones housing fewer people). There could therefore be 5m people living in properties more than 315k. I'm assuming the median price includes rented properties and am ignoring different notional values of the rapidly decreasing amount of social housing.

It's perfectly possible that a third of those live in properties worth more than 800k (2.5 x median), given a reasonable assumption as to the distribution of house prices. That could be almost 2 million people, or over a fifth of the population of Greater London. To me 2 million is "a lot". Even 1 milion would be "a lot" of Londoners.

(And that's just Londoners - there will be many more outside London living in properties worth over 800k.)
Old Nov 11, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: FT
i almost spit my coffee out as i thought a "backhander" was UK slang for hand...j...o....oh never mind.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by mkjr
i almost spit my coffee out as i thought a "backhander" was UK slang for hand...j...o....oh never mind.
You would have been welcome in the 'BAEC Gold(en) showers' thread.....
Old Nov 12, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OneWorld Emerald)
Seriously - a great bit of salacious gossip is published potentially offering a small insight into the mysterious world of Special Services. Instead of people actually talking about what may have happened here, the thread is a snarky rant where people insult each other about house prices in London and affordability!

Is any actually able to give more detail on the real story behind the headlines, because I think that's what most of us are actually interested in???
Old Nov 14, 2015, 6:07 pm

Programs: EY - Gold, BA - Gold
Originally Posted by ManchesterBDFlyer
Seriously - a great bit of salacious gossip is published potentially offering a small insight into the mysterious world of Special Services. Instead of people actually talking about what may have happened here, the thread is a snarky rant where people insult each other about house prices in London and affordability!

Is any actually able to give more detail on the real story behind the headlines, because I think that's what most of us are actually interested in???
The guy was probably just doing his job and someone didn't like him. Jealousy is a terrible thing in the workplace.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jose2000
The guy was probably just doing his job and someone didn't like him. Jealousy is a terrible thing in the workplace.
If he was just doing his job, why would he have had employment terminated?
Old Dec 18, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: EY - Gold, BA - Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If he was just doing his job, why would he have had employment terminated?
It does happen. I don't know his exact circumstances but big companies vs one man in employment (seen it before, been involved myself), HR will push it.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 3:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jose2000
It does happen. I don't know his exact circumstances but big companies vs one man in employment (seen it before, been involved myself), HR will push it.
I doubt very much that a major corporation such as BA would do anything other than follow process and not make it up as it goes along

I haven't seen anything to claim that BA mistreated him in this matter
Old Dec 18, 2015, 7:19 pm

The Daily Telegraph - you live with your parents/grandparents.

Financial Times - you bought it via an offshore leveraged buyout on a sale and lease back IPO....

Daily Sport - you're living with Elvis and Shergar.[

The Daily Mirror is read by the people who think they run the country.

The Guardian is read by people who think they *ought* to run the country.

The Times is read by the people who actually *do* run the country.

The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country.

The Financial Times is read by people who *own* the country.

The Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by *another* country.

The Daily Telegraph is read by the people who think it is.

Sir Humphrey: Prime Minister, what about the people who read The Sun?

Bernard Woolley: Sun readers don't care *who* runs the country - as long as she's got big tits.

^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.