Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Band 1 redemptions for USA domestic flights will be priced as Band 2 from 02 Feb 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2015, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
From BA.com (28 October 2015)

On 2 February 2016, we’ll be making some changes to the Executive Club pricing structure for reward flights originating or terminating in the United States of America.

The change will only affect shorter routes on American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, and TAM Airlines with reward flights now starting from 7,500 Avios, rather than 4,500 Avios, plus taxes, fees and carrier charges from $5.60 USD. The majority of North American reward flight prices will remain unchanged.

Take a look at the examples in the table below to see how our pricing structure will change.

Source: http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...reward-flights (thanks KARFA)

For more information on redeeming awards in North America, see Using BA Avios for Awards on AA / US (merged threads).
Print Wikipost

Band 1 redemptions for USA domestic flights will be priced as Band 2 from 02 Feb 2016

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2015, 6:35 am

I legitimately think that if enough people made enough of a scene that the PR situation would be bad enough for BA to reverse the decision. However, if people just stay on a not-well-known-to-the-not-frequent-traveler-community forum, then I doubt anything will happen. If people just stay on here, it'll look like it's just the frequent travelers that are complaining, and BA obviously is ready to deal with that.

And then there are people who will say that it doesn't matter how many people complain, that BA won't care. In that case, then there's no point in complaining here, on FT, either.

Just saying.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 6:38 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rajuabju
It was only a matter of time.

7500 still isnt too bad.
Given most US award trips are double segment trips each way, this is actually a big increase in award travel costs, to the point that those whose travel originates and terminates in a non-AA/non-US hub are almost certainly facing award travel costs that make using BA points substantially more expensive than using AA points. The proverbial saving grace (for now) from BA is for those whose award travel plans change or are made "last minute".

Going from 18,000 BA points to 30,000 BA points for the same roundtrip is a whopper of an increase. 67% increases are no laughing matter for those impacted the most by these changes.

My bet is this kind of BA devaluation announcement hits again sometime in 2016 after this Februrary devaluation goes live, and then it won't be limited to just AA/US and AS flights.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 28, 2015 at 6:43 am
Old Oct 28, 2015, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ObscuredByClouds
Well it was a good sweet spot while it lasted. Yet another reason to credit to AA and just retain silver for domestic lounge accesss.
You realize that AA would charge 12.5K for Y on these flights? Sure, its cheaper in F at 25K. But my guess is that Y redemption is by far more important to most people on these short Band 1 flights.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
These flights were the only sweet spot in Avios, IMHO. It costs far too much to redeem long haul, especially when you factor in their garbage fees than can cost more than the cost of a ticket in Y. They really don't bring much to the table now.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Given most US award trips are double segment trips each way, this is actually a big increase in award travel costs, to the point that those whose travel originates and terminates in a non-AA/non-US hub are almost certainly facing award travel costs that make using BA points substantially more expensive than using AA points. The proverbial saving grace (for now) from BA is for those whose award travel plans change or are made "last minute".

Going from 18,000 BA points to 30,000 BA points for the same roundtrip is a whopper of an increase. 67% increases are no laughing matter for those impacted the most by these changes.
As an award program that charges per segment, BA isn't a good program in general for Americans who don't live in a AA hub.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 6:50 am

jetblue still has some 5500 point award flights on my route for some dates/times, so I guess they're coming back into the picture for me... MR transfers are equivalently bad to both BA and JB 1000:800.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 6:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by wiivile
As an award program that charges per segment, BA isn't a good program in general for Americans who don't live in a AA hub.
It wasn't a bad program for those US-residing persons not living near an AA hub - at least before this change. But now it's getting to be substantially worse -- even for some of those at AA hubs.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
oh well...

This will reduce my earn on BA... IN the last year they've jacked up the base avios costs, added "peak pricing", and now this.

For me being YYZ-based, the YYZ-NYC redemption was awesome, in J or Y. Its still usable now but not nearlythe bargain what it used to be.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 7:00 am

Programs: UAL Premier Gold, HHonors Gold, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by Phantom707
I legitimately think that if enough people made enough of a scene that the PR situation would be bad enough for BA to reverse the decision. However, if people just stay on a not-well-known-to-the-not-frequent-traveler-community forum, then I doubt anything will happen. If people just stay on here, it'll look like it's just the frequent travelers that are complaining, and BA obviously is ready to deal with that.
The vast majority of the American traveling public (American as these changes impact the US only) have never heard of Avios. If they didn't write nasty letters en masse when Delta yanked award charts or when United drastically jacked up the price of partner premium award redemptions, they won't do so here.

And then there are people who will say that it doesn't matter how many people complain, that BA won't care. In that case, then there's no point in complaining here, on FT, either.

Just saying.
It doesn't matter how many people complain; BA won't care. But that doesn't mean we can't mourn the loss of 4.5k redemptions here on FT amongst like-minded individuals

As a BOS-based flyer I squeezed a lot of good value out of those redemptions, using them frequently for the Shuttle and for short-range but exorbitantly-priced routes elsewhere in the Northeast (i.e., ROC, SYR). For the latter especially, 7.5k will still be cheaper than the other options.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 7:01 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
These flights were the only sweet spot in Avios, IMHO. It costs far too much to redeem long haul, especially when you factor in their garbage fees than can cost more than the cost of a ticket in Y. They really don't bring much to the table now.
The only sweet spot in Avios? You're joking.

(1) What about the fact that Band 2 pricing is still less in Y than AA?
(2) What about Band 1 pricing elsewhere?
(3) What about RFS in Europe? (Remember, BAEC is designed, first and foremost, for those living in and around London)
(4) Jokers
(5) 2-4-1s

Sorry, it is not a great program for everyone (and if I still lived in the US I couldn't imagine choosing to credit to Avios over AA, before or after all the 2015 changes). But to say that it doesn't bring anything to the table or doesn't have any advantage over AAdvantage is just silly and inaccurate.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 7:04 am

Programs: FT
Those that are saying its not too bad, obviously FORGET that when they shoved their points scheme/devaluation in the region that the son does not shine in, a consolation and their selling point to those in NA were these types of Band 1 tickets.

So now, not only did they screw us once, they screwed us of the one thing they did to try to make the original screwing feel a tiny bit paletable.

and those that think that ANY level of yapping will make them change, you are truly living in dream land.

Originally Posted by entropy
oh well...

This will reduce my earn on BA... IN the last year they've jacked up the base avios costs, added "peak pricing", and now this.

For me being YYZ-based, the YYZ-NYC redemption was awesome, in J or Y. Its still usable now but not nearlythe bargain what it used to be.
i guess the groups of people actively manipulating this route and YYZ-ORD going north and south for business weekly with MANY ways that you could basically get hoards of avios for well below what you would have to pay at the last minute for these routes have finally come to an end.

next up, domestic JAL routes.

Originally Posted by sts603
The only sweet spot in Avios? You're joking.

(1) What about the fact that Band 2 pricing is still less in Y than AA?
(2) What about Band 1 pricing elsewhere?
(3) What about RFS in Europe? (Remember, BAEC is designed, first and foremost, for those living in and around London)
(4) Jokers
(5) 2-4-1s

Sorry, it is not a great program for everyone (and if I still lived in the US I couldn't imagine choosing to credit to Avios over AA, before or after all the 2015 changes). But to say that it doesn't bring anything to the table or doesn't have any advantage over AAdvantage is just silly and inaccurate.
ah...memories and UK centric views like yours are really a waste here.

some of us actually have a memory that is longer than a month and clearly, to say you can not imagine choosing Avios over AA clearly illustrates you dont know what you are talking about since you tell me how much a YYZ-HKG-DPS-HKG-NRT-HKG-YYZ with turn around in DPS and stop over in HKG going to DPS and in NRT on the way home in J on CX would cost you in AA a few years back.

i'll help you out, A LOT MORE than 100K avios!

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
I guess this shouldn't come as a surprise. As it only impacts North America, it's more than likely all the redemptions (and highly promoted/touted benefits from blogs and BA Avios credit card signing bonuses) that fell upon AA/AS there was pushback from one party or another.

The real issue is that it makes redemption in NA highly expensive for routes requiring a connection (i.e. LAX-PHX-xxx. Since a large majority of flights require connections to an AA hub, those flights are now unrealistically expensive compared to standard redemptions.
the latter portion of your post is something that BA has given NO consideration to with this. the same goes for those that want to connect to Asia via say LAX or via JFK or ORD or EWR. you now get disproportionately dinged because some bean counter who does not actually use avios in NA, decided to screw those in NA again.

Last edited by Prospero; Oct 28, 2015 at 8:27 am Reason: Combine posts. Please use multi-post when replying to more than one separate posts
Old Oct 28, 2015, 7:10 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
I guess this shouldn't come as a surprise. As it only impacts North America, it's more than likely all the redemptions (and highly promoted/touted benefits from blogs and BA Avios credit card signing bonuses) that fell upon AA/AS there was pushback from one party or another.

The real issue is that it makes redemption in NA highly expensive for routes requiring a connection (i.e. LAX-PHX-xxx. Since a large majority of flights require connections to an AA hub, those flights are now unrealistically expensive compared to standard redemptions.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 7:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mkjr
Those that are saying its not too bad, obviously FORGET that when they shoved their points scheme/devaluation in the region that the son does not shine in, a consolation and their selling point to those in NA were these types of Band 1 tickets.

So now, not only did they screw us once, they screwed us of the one thing they did to try to make the original screwing feel a tiny bit paletable.

and those that think that ANY level of yapping will make them change, you are truly living in dream land.
I don't understand the outrage. The vast majority (Band 1 and Band 2) of North American Y redemption are still noticeably cheaper (16%-40%) than redeeming on AA. Short transborder J awards are still noticeably cheaper than AA (40%). Medium-haul transborder are again 40% cheaper and no different than they were pre-change. And again, F is only 20% higher than AA and in most cases, no different than they were yesterday (yes, I realize that this is the second increase this year). But in the grand scheme of things - this is a non-event. And as a UK-based BAEC holder I'm happy that it was this and not RFS in Europe.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
Well, they give away 100 000 avios for taking a credit card in the USA, that prints an awful lot of extra avios. If one uses them for short flights, that's a lot of flights, for which BA has to pay AA (I suppose). You can't always win, all the time.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 7:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
The double segmented flights point is a good one. It will just require even more Avios.

But let's have no more talk about the J and F differences. It works well for TPs

H

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.