Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Short-Haul J Lav Policy?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2015, 1:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Short-Haul J Lav Policy?

What is BA's official policy on the use of the J lav by Y passengers? My understanding is that BA does not enforce a use the lav in your ticketing cabin policy on short haul aircraft. But yesterday on an A319, they seemed to turn people back (after I went successfully). There did not appear to be any cockpit access issue.

I generally believe that the front lav should be restricted to those in J. As someone who travels in J more than Y, I think it should be a benefit of a J ticket. But on the 319 with 1 lav for 100+ in the back, that's just simply not workable (which was the case yesterday - the Y lav queue extended halfway down the Y cabin for most of the flight after the beverage service).
Old Oct 10, 2015, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by sts603
What is BA's official policy on the use of the J lav by Y passengers? My understanding is that BA does not enforce a use the lav in your ticketing cabin policy on short haul aircraft. But yesterday on an A319, they seemed to turn people back (after I went successfully). There did not appear to be any cockpit access issue.

I generally believe that the front lav should be restricted to those in J. As someone who travels in J more than Y, I think it should be a benefit of a J ticket. But on the 319 with 1 lav for 100+ in the back, that's just simply not workable (which was the case yesterday - the Y lav queue extended halfway down the Y cabin for most of the flight after the beverage service).
You are absolutely right-there is no official policy for all the reasons you you mention. We generally manage and see how it is on the day. On the 320 it is a lot easier to keep the fwd Lavatory for J, but then again if there are only 3 rows of CE and 24 of ET you can not enforce it. On the 319 just forget it, 1 lavatory in the back- no way I could turn people back, unless there is a Flight Crew related issue of course which will only be for a short while.
On some flights trollies are in the way too, someone is frail a do/or desperate, so again the Crew will have to assess the situation individually.

So again to answer your question-no there is no policy but when I explain to people at times to please use the rear lavatories, it is like asking someone to jump off the plane given the lip I get. On American carriers they ask you to remain in your cabin for security reasons and everyone does, get the Americans to Europe and they moan when I ask them to use the rear toilet as the Flight deck is located in the front. .
Old Oct 10, 2015, 2:59 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
On american carriers they may ask you, yet still get streams of people bodyswerving through the curtain (or f passengers nipping to the can when the aircraft is on final). We all have to go, right? Apologies if i sound grumpy, you do actually have a point, i follow the rules and get grumpy when others do not. Same with parking on double yellow lines, not letting people out a door first etcetc. Grump.

Last edited by jcm9000; Oct 10, 2015 at 3:05 am
Old Oct 10, 2015, 3:01 am

Programs: BA GGL
I was on a 319 yesterday as well and was pleased while sat in 1A to hear the crew firmly tell someone who had come up through the (fully closed ^) curtain that, "This is business class, you'll have to go to the rear."

When flying premium you are paying for atmosphere in addition to the seat, and this enforcement is appreciated.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by jcm9000
On american carriers they may ask you, yet still get streams of people bodyswerving through the curtain (or f passengers nipping to the can when the aircraft is on final). We all have to go, right?
Good to know, when I flew AA people were sent straight back when they came up on a 737 and the way they were addressed they may as well just tasered them

Of course we all need to go, hence me saying I generally manage the situation on the day based on what's going on.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 3:07 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Reading your entire post i think you are me, you have no idea how wound up i get about this. It is my dykwia moment....some crews do enforce but i found in my years on aa flights many crews just had to give up. I never blamed the crews, they could only do so much... Ps when no announcement i am all good, use any loo you want, but when people have been asked to use their cabin's loo and they ignore.....

Last edited by jcm9000; Oct 10, 2015 at 3:14 am
Old Oct 10, 2015, 3:11 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BA4EVER
When flying premium you are paying for atmosphere in addition to the seat, and this enforcement is appreciated.
I agree with what you're saying, but if (particularly on the A319) there is a queue of people waiting at the back of the plane, then it is quite understandable that use of the front toilet should be made available. It's not passengers' fault that BA decided to rip out one of the toilets.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 3:17 am

On Aegean they almost body slam anyone daring to step forward of the curtain.

Palmer
Old Oct 10, 2015, 4:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
BA wise, I always follow the rule of thumb I use the area for the service or cabin I fly in. That said when I fly with Master Hoch and we sit a few rows away from CE, I do take him to the front (it's just more practical). If I had to put a figure on it based on my travelling experiences, I would say that 80% of the time the CE cabin crew take no issue with someone coming to front.

Hell hath no fury like AA/US cabin crew scorn if trying to use the F toilet if travelling in Y on domestic flights! I've seen little old women turned away trying to go to the front. I have heard announcements telling passengers which toilets to use and the odd 'FAA requirement'. No idea of the latter is true or not.

H
Old Oct 10, 2015, 5:05 am

With one toilet (or even 2) for 100+ passengers there is something inevitable about the outcome.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 5:34 am

Programs: MUCCI
Y passengers have access to a toilet ? What's the world coming to ?

On a more serious note, on an average length short-haul flight, does it really matter ?!?

Its only likely to be one or two people, not a long-haul style herd.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 5:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by simons1
With one toilet (or even 2) for 100+ passengers there is something inevitable about the outcome.
Yes, some DYKWIA is going to get wound up when a serf visits the gold plated loo - that's the way to do it
Old Oct 10, 2015, 6:00 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
I would like to think everyone can stay in their cabin but it is not practical. If there is a trolley blocking the aisle using the toilet at front is the only alternative unless you can hold it in. If you are travelling with a young child who announces they need the toilet when they are completely desperate you cannot wait in a queue or wait for the trolley to pass, you need to go.

Similarly, I found on a non BA 788 when I was sitting just behind the curtain after the second door, the nearest toilet was on the other side of the curtain but the toilet I was meant to use was at the end of the cabin. When there are 20 people all wanting the toilet after a dodgy meal service there cannot be rules on using the toilet, especially when the nearest toilet is empty.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 6:28 am

On all the American flights I have been on in recent times, I have heard the announcement to not congregate around the toilets - an FAA rule apparently? Obviously some TSA, War on Terror thing....mEveryone ignores it.

I had the pleasure of travelling F on Gulf Air a few years back. I was the only person in F and had the toilet entirely to myself...not to mention the personal chef.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by BA4EVER
I was on a 319 yesterday as well and was pleased while sat in 1A to hear the crew firmly tell someone who had come up through the (fully closed ^) curtain that, "This is business class, you'll have to go to the rear."

"Enforcement" implies there's a rule to enforce. I don't believe there is.

Flier74's approach above seems the best - let the cabin crew deal with it on the day, taking into account the flight load.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.