Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coffee in Club

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2015, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by stewaran
I would, for the same reason I would expect better food, and drink.
A nespreso machine would be nice.
Indeed, many airlines offer quality espresso (Illy, Nespresso, etc) and sometimes more specialty coffees in premium classes. TK, QR, AF, LX all come to mind, and the coffee menu on long haul OS J is spectacular.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 4:45 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Both Airbus and Boeing offer Espresso machines on their list of options and they're really expensive. More cost conscious airlines choose not to order these. Need I say more ?

LH F and QR J have both recently served me an outstanding Espresso.

AA also apparently has Espresso machines on board the 77W. (As well as a microwave oven, which surprised me)
Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, VIA Preference: Privilčge, Air Canada Aeroplan
The obvious and fairly cheap improvement would seem to be large cafetieres of coffee. That said, even just better quality instant would be better than what there is currently.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:11 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Both Airbus and Boeing offer Espresso machines on their list of options and they're really expensive. More cost conscious airlines choose not to order these. Need I say more ?
Well, I think EL AL are FAR more cost conscious than BA and they have espresso machines on board for business as well as first class.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Agree BA coffee is dire, I can't drink it, though I'm more of a coffee person than tea. However BA's tea is very acceptable despite the fact water can't be boiled to 100c, so that's my BA hot drink of choice. Luckily the lounges do a far better job.

BA changed their coffee a few years back to a FairTrade blend to some internal razzmatazz - but the quality went from bad to worse in my view.

If BA want an easy solution: go for whatever it is that their Nordic franchise SUN are using, much more acceptable.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:41 am

Nespresso machines are standard fare in BA First. I always have an Espresso after a meal and generally have a Cappucino with breakfast. The quality is variable and the machines are often not working properly.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 6:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ophir_mm
But in the summer I flew IB to EZE in J and they had a real espresso machine which was gorgeous!
While I didn't think it was gorgeous it wasn't unpleasant.

I asked and was brought a coffee mid flight but she didn't bring any milk so I just drank it without. I've come to the conclusion that coffee in the air tastes a lot better without milk in it.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 6:49 am

Since they already have the Nespresso machines on board, why not just offer this to CW passengers too. Its a pretty easy win. The capsules only cost around 30p retail, so i assume BA get these even cheaper in bulk.

It would almost think that it would be more a case of the difficulty getting the crew to agree to the extra work of making bespoke coffee on demand, rather than the little extra cost per pax.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I'm sure that we would need more then one machine for the extra 50 or 70 customers.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:10 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I quite like KLM coffee. And as mentioned above, OS, although it is long ago since I last flew them.

I think BA is simply reflecting its home country. We have always been a nation of tea drinkers and in my opinion our tea, strong and flavoursome, is far superior to the insipid rubbish you get in most European countries, and usually leaves me thinking: "how hard can it be to make a decent cuppa"?

However the flip side is that we simply cannot seem to get coffee right. Although there has been an increase in "coffee culture" (mainly in London) it is still pretty cr*p in most places. I have a rule which is drink tea in England and coffeee everywhere else. I don't think I will be changing that approach any time soon.

Last edited by South London Bon Viveur; Oct 6, 2015 at 7:26 am
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I have heard that we are looking at another coffee, hopefully some positive news soon.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've had espresso on IB shorthaul and longhaul in J, capsules of course. Good it was too. LX have it in J longhaul. Capp is F. BA only F longhaul. TK have espresso both longhaul and shorthaul, some B738 excepted.

There used to be a LX MdC who would make cappuccino on short-haul. Not sure how.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
I think BA is simply reflecting its home country. We have always been a nation of tea drinkers and in my opinion our tea, strong and flavoursome, is far superior to the insipid rubbish you get in most European countries, and usually leaves me thinking: "how hard can it be to make a decent cuppa"?

However the flip side is that we simply cannot seem to get coffee right. Although there has been an increase in "coffee culture" (mainly in London) it is still pretty cr*p in most places. I have a rule which is drink tea in England and coffeee everywhere else. I don't think I will be changing that approach any time soon.
A cheap tea bag can still make a reasonable cup of tea.
Cheap coffee on the other hand is always terrible.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 9:05 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
This to me is one of the most unforgivable deficiencies of the CW product. I can't think of another airline that doesn't serve espresso based drinks in J. All of these have served me espressos ranging from pretty good to excellent:

QR, QF, TG, SQ, AA, BR, CX

In F I've had coffee on JL, NH and SQ that was the equal of anything I've ever had on the ground.

For me, getting this right is just as important as the alcohol selection.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Cabins are pressurised to around 8,000 feet and this means water boils at around 90c so you are disadvantaged from the start.
82C actually. That assumes ambient pressure, if you did it in a closed container (like a pressure cooker) then you can raise the boiling point for brewing. It would have to be cooled to under 82 before the container could be opened, or all you'd get would be coffee flavoured steam.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.