Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Fed up of having nothing substantial to eat in Club Kitchen!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2015, 9:31 am
Original Poster

The title says it all.

In all my 12+ hour long hauls between Asian cities and LHR in recent months, every time I woke up in the middle of the night feeling hungry and I attempted to get some snacks from the Club Kitchen... there were only a handful of measly chocolate bars left along.

And I remained hungry for several hours until breakfast was served. Especially in light of another BA policy that refused to reheat food for serving on the supposed grounds of "health and safety".

All the bags of crisps were gone, so were the mixed nuts with corn kernels that I used to enjoy.

BA crew, when complained to, could only shrug their shoulders and said passengers constantly grab a few bags each.

They would also agree that passengers do provide feedback that there isn't enough food mid-flight and all these feedback have been channeled back to HQ - but NOTHING was done about it due to BA's cost pinching.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 9:36 am

On my last CW return - outbound (exLHR) plentifully stocked. On the return it was more or less empty. This doesn't seem to be a recurring theme.

Fill out a complaint - not for service recovery (though you might get something if you REALLY want and push), but because it's the only way BA will know your thoughts. Posting on here, sadly, doesn't change anything!

They do seem to change things if enough people complain - just look at the recent catering overhaul.

Last edited by Virazuno; Oct 4, 2015 at 9:44 am
Old Oct 4, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Virazuno
They do seem to change things if enough people complain - just look at the recent catering overhaul.
The Club Europe cabin springs to mind...I'm sure they've had lots of complaints, but nothing changed.

Regarding the Club Kitchen, it was fully stocked with some very nice things on my CW flight to MIA. There was even a friendly member of crew who was willing to have a chat for a bit...I pleasant experience.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 9:42 am

I guess I should have written they do seem to change some things...
Old Oct 4, 2015, 9:42 am

I'm sorry that you feel this way.

Absolutely, it sounds as though the crew could have rustled a little something more substantial up for you, a longhaul jet can be a resourceful place!

However, the majority of the rest of your post, i'm afraid is rather ill informed.

We do not ration the club kitchen, and on the vast majority of our flights, the offering is sufficient. There will always be the odd customer that wants something more substantial in the middle of the night, but the actual demand for this is very small, and in all fairness, is not worth the financial outlay.

Sweet talking crew will usually get you what you want, it's the way you approach the situation that determines the outcome.

As fo recooking food. Forget it. Not worth the solicitor's lawsuit papers it's written on.

Kind regards

BA.MF.CSM
There are my own views and not those of British Airways
Old Oct 4, 2015, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
I find Club Kitchen a completely ridiculous project that needs to be enhanced away unless it is improved. The Club Kitchen should include toasted sandwiches and baguettes, mini cereal boxes, as well as the current things but in more volume.

An improvement needs to be cancelled out by an enhancement so I propose trading in hot dishcloths for a better CK.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 9:59 am

Apart from fruit, the options are rather pathetic. The crew are often embarrassed, especially on Asian routes where customers are accustomed to world class options- I've witnessed complaints/apologies on most of my flights to Singapore.

Healthier, decent size snacks are needed. Get rid of the poncy overly salty tiny "sandwiches" and dips, bring back the simple, clean wraps/sandwiches from until a few years ago. Even AA has nice cereal bars (with dried fig, etc.) in their "Halloween basket".
Old Oct 4, 2015, 10:49 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
A genuine question. Do most other airlines have substantial 'Club Kitchen equivalent' for J? I don't do much eating between meals so I am not too familiar with it, although I am aware of some Asian carriers having pot noodles etc (!).

If other carriers aren't doing a substantial in-between food it probably doesn't motivate BA to do it.

Anyway, maybe BA could have some longer-life options like cereal bars as mentioned by some people above, because I heard that Club Kitchen 'fridge' space is an issue?

Another thing. If I have a tendency to get hungry between meals and I am aware of the lack of food, I think I'd bring some food along with me, even though I'd probably grudgingly do so unless I'm in Y/Y+.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Dean Cooperfield_West
I find Club Kitchen a completely ridiculous project that needs to be enhanced away unless it is improved. The Club Kitchen should include toasted sandwiches and baguettes, mini cereal boxes, as well as the current things but in more volume.

An improvement needs to be cancelled out by an enhancement so I propose trading in hot dishcloths for a better CK.
To be honest we had these types of foods in the past and they were wasted.
The one thing we seem to run out of quickly is crisps.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Wasn't there a time the crew would make you hot snacks on request ? Or was i just lucky ?
Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
A genuine question. Do most other airlines have substantial 'Club Kitchen equivalent' for J? I don't do much eating between meals so I am not too familiar with it, although I am aware of some Asian carriers having pot noodles etc (!).
QR have an eat at any time policy in J - so if you wake up peckish you can just order anything off the menu- hot or cold- and if it's available, you can have it.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia

If other carriers aren't doing a substantial in-between food it probably doesn't motivate BA to do it.

Anyway, maybe BA could have some longer-life options like cereal bars as mentioned by some people above, because I heard that Club Kitchen 'fridge' space is an issue?

Another thing. If I have a tendency to get hungry between meals and I am aware of the lack of food, I think I'd bring some food along with me, even though I'd probably grudgingly do so unless I'm in Y/Y+.
It isn't really an issue on many carriers as they simply have dine on demand in J so you can eat hot food whenever rather than having a set meal time that might not suit all passengers.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by irmster
QR have an eat at any time policy in J - so if you wake up peckish you can just order anything off the menu- hot or cold- and if it's available, you can have it.
Just beat me to it!!
Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I don't think that OP was talking about finding an uncooked snack/meal to heat up, but rather either something he brought along or an uneaten and previously cooked meal.

Both of the latter are a big no-no from a health and safety perspective. While I know that there are crew which have done this, the fact is that it opens BA to all manner of liability, both as to the individual who provides the food and as to any other passenger who becomes ill and asserts that the oven was contaminated by "outside" food.

While this sounds like an anomaly, it is always a good idea to travel with several energy bars. Helps if one is puckish in turbulence and meal service is delayed or the oddball situation where what there is on offer does not suit your fancy.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:19 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Can I help you
The one thing we seem to run out of quickly is crisps.
Good. A person nearby eating crisps noisily is pretty annoying (especially the noisy sort like Kettle Chips).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.