Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Do BA ever upgrade passengers flying on reward flights?

Do BA ever upgrade passengers flying on reward flights?

Old Oct 3, 2015, 5:48 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I got bumped up to F from J having bought WTP and upgraded with Avios at the time of purchase.

That was from KUL and I booked in December, travelled in July.

Of course WTP to CW is often about how oversold economy is.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 6:03 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
If the OP has flexibility on his return day, he should also look for award availability in Club/First on the days around his intended flight.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Asking the question guarantees that if BA do need to upgrade anybody on your flight it will not, unfortunately, be you. Such is the way of the upgrade Gods.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 7:26 am

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
Yep. Got economy to CW just last month when I bought a last minute one way to DME
Old Oct 3, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I have been upgraded from WT to WT+ using points (many years ago I might add).
Old Oct 3, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: BA GGL/GfL, A3 Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Gold
A few years back I booked a redemption ticket for the daughter of a family friend from YVR-LHR in WT. She was upgraded to WT+ at the check in desk, and then got magic beeped up to CW at the gate. 19 years old, no status - lucky girl!
Old Oct 3, 2015, 8:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Stoemp
There doesn't seem to be a BA lounge at BGI either, so the return leg is not going to be the high point of the trip.
There is a BA lounge in BGI immediately past A12 in the upstairs area - this is/was shared with Virgin and other airlines, it's quite a reasonable size and modern. Not particularly fantastic in terms of refreshment provision, but an improvement on the main departure hall.

I've also had a number of CW to First upgrades on Redemptions and UuA.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: BA GGL
A few years ago, when I had first discovered the paid WT+ ticket UUA'd to CW wheeze, I was stunned when my boarding pass was ripped up when I presented myself at the Lounge. Luckily too stunned to start shouting as it was immediately replaced with a boarding pass for First. BA very cleverly gave me the 210TPs for First and I got a Silver Card as a result. Got me hooked.

Only other time since was last week to CE on a very short flight but it meant I got a bonus breakfast.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club (Bronze)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There is a BA lounge in BGI immediately past A12 in the upstairs area - this is/was shared with Virgin and other airlines, it's quite a reasonable size and modern. Not particularly fantastic in terms of refreshment provision, but an improvement on the main departure hall.

I've also had a number of CW to First upgrades on Redemptions and UuA.
Thanks for this. But since this lounge isn't a BA/one world partner site (and it isn't mentioned on the lounge finder on ba.com) what are the chances of being admitted when travelling as a Silver but in WT+? I'm assuming that Barbadian lounge dragons are in the same league as their colleagues elsewhere (!)
Old Oct 3, 2015, 10:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks for this. But since this lounge isn't a BA/one world partner site (and it isn't mentioned on the lounge finder on ba.com) what are the chances of being admitted when travelling as a Silver but in WT+? I'm assuming that Barbadian lounge dragons are in the same league as their colleagues elsewhere (!)
It's in the Flyertalk BA lounge guide - best source of information out there! You'll find it in the Forum Dashboard under South America and Caribbean. Normal rules apply so WT+ is fine if you are Silver and a guest is OK too if they aren't full (unlikely).
Old Oct 3, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
I was in that lounge and guested in when flying WT+, so you should have no problems as c-w-s says.

Not sure if I got some lounge vouchers at check-in though, better ask there. I remember the staff was very helpful.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club (Bronze)
Thanks - that's good news. This forum really is an invaluable resource.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
I have a strong suspicion that the answer is no, but thought I would ask!

I'm at a loose end professionally next week and so have decided to burn some miles on a trip to Barbados. Whilst I managed to book an F seat on the outward leg I could only find WT+ on the return. I should add that I am only BA Silver.
My one and only op-up was on a reward booking.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: BA IHG
Yes. My partner and I were upgraded on a 2-4-1 from C to F on PVG-LHR. I was bronze at the time.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Earlier this year a mate was on a reward ticket in WT+ flying back from BOS on BA0202 and heard that WT was oversold. Not offered an upgrade was instead offered $1200 US to not board that night, to take 238 the next day in WT+ plus a hotel for the night. They declined and the computer upgraded someone from WT+ to Club.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.