Wiki Posts
Search

American or British status better

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2015, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Swibbz

However, I'm scared that I'm going to switch over and then 6-12month from now AA is going to devalue their program

What would the FT experts recommend?
It's pure idle speculation, of course, but that's a forte of FT, so here goes.

AA will almost certainly devalue. Its main competitors have already done so, and it's a massive outlier in the US domestic market where its principal business lies. I think it's likely that it will devalue in a similar way to DL and UA, rather than treading a completely different path. Also, you have to bear in mind that most Americans, and most AA loyal road warriors, fly domestically on economy tickets. They use their loyalty-based instruments to upgrade. For them, that is one of the prime benefits of loyalty. If AA were to take this away, when UA and DL are still offering it, AA would lose a huge chunk of business.

The UA and DL devaluations only changed loyalty qualification by introducing a minimum spend, not by requiring, or forcing, purchase of premium fares. In short, I think the chances of AA penalising economy fares in the way BA does are close to zero. But the UA and DL devaluations linked mileage earning to the spend on fares, rather than the number of miles flown, with multipliers for status levels. As a consequence, AA's programme is the outlier principally because you earn massively more miles than on UA or DL. I'm convinced that this is where they will cut back, not on status.

If that theory holds then, broadly, the status quo will persist. AA will be the programme to use if you fly long haul economy as you will earn status much more easily, and be able to benefit from its benefits and associated upgrades. If you fly in premium cabins, then BA will be the programme, especially if you are UK based.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 4:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If you fly premium cabins especially long haul, BA.
If you don't, AA as long as you can meet the 4 AA flights each year (one TATL with a connection in the USA will do, of course).

BA's earning is so skewed towards premium cabins that if you fly only economy you get far less. If you fly premium cabins, BA Gold (OWE) is very easy to get. AA EP needs a lot more travel even in premium cabins, having that status shows you've actually spent quite some time in a metal tube in the sky.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 5:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
Ok, I think in that case I'll stick with BA for now and re-asses once AA devalues (assuming they do).

Thanks for the help
Old Oct 3, 2015, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: oneworld
THANK YOU

Thanks to all who gave advice. In summary, based on fact that I only fly economy class it sounds like sticking with AA is the way to go.

What an amazing amount of knowledge on this forum!
Old Oct 4, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Abousall, here's my next recommendation: continue participating in the BA Forum or at least continue reading the threads here. There's much to learn.

When flying TATL back to the USA in Y, fly AA as with your status you will have access to the MCE (Main Cabin Extra) or ask your place of employment if they allow WTP (Premium Economy) on BA for those long flights.

When flying inside the UK or to the rest of Europe, if you book an HBO (Hand Baggage Only) fare, even with status you'll not be able to choose your seat (there's a way to change your assigned seat in the check-in machines at the airport but further reading is needed). If you book a non-HBO fare, you can choose your seats when buying your ticket but sometimes there's an IT glitch that does not recognize your AA status. In that case call BA. I failed to do that last year as I did not realize that I should just have called.

You have already achieved something great: you have received a warm welcome from C-W-S. There's no question on BA that he cannot answer.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Oct 4, 2015 at 6:58 am Reason: Misspelling
Old Oct 6, 2015, 9:49 pm

Location: Usually LAX or SFO but sometimes MIA in the winter or LCY or PVK in the summer and every now and then SIN or SGN
Programs: in ASM, APL & C++ but never Java
I'm primarily US based and find my BA status (OW Emerald) works much better than equivalent AA status especially for US lounge access where I travel most
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:16 am

Programs: FT Beginner - BA Gold - Hyatt Platinum
Hello everyone

I have a bit of a similar conundrum and I'd like to benefit from your collective wisdom.

I'm based in the US and i currently fly mostly BA and CX long-haul in Premium eco for work and AA for my personal needs.
i'm going to get to BA Gold roughly 6 months into my BA year. What should i do next ?

- Keep accruing avios on BA ? i may be able to get to 2500 TPs for the year but not much more.

- Start accruing miles on AA ffp since most of my flights for the coming months are going to not change in anyway my status on BA ?

- Something else more exotic ? (like starting to search for flights on UA or LH and start an effort on one of these FF programs) ?

I'm mostly interested in flattering my ego and getting random/reward upgrades.

All suggestions and questions are welcome :-)

Thanks !

Last edited by Minor Guru; Oct 7, 2015 at 1:34 am
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
Originally Posted by Minor Guru

- Keep accruing avios on BA ? i may be able to get to 2500 TPs for the year but not much more.
At 2500 TPs you get a Gold Upgrade for 2.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
In which case, once you are Gold then there are only fairly minor gradations on BA's ego meter (formally known as CIV) until you get towards GGL level (5k to join, 3k to maintain). On that level it's only perhaps lifetime status that would keep you adding after Gold

AA status won't help you much in this department, other than perhaps as a "just in case" stash of AA miles for times when they are the most cost effective (typically medium and long haul economy) or for using them to "pay" for a premium cabin when nothing else works.

You do some travel in CX, and status there does help. There is a new scheme starting with them, which is causing much wailing and gnashing of teeth on the CX forum, but if you're on 2,500 TPs a year level, it seems to be that you should get at least Sapphire on CX and there are various baubles on offer in their new arrangements. Having said that, CX does a good job of looking after BA Golds.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 3:11 am

Programs: BA GGL (but soon to lose the GL :-(), IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Dmnd (and pleb/pleb-plus in 1001 others)
Hello everyone

I have a bit of a similar conundrum and I'd like to benefit from your collective wisdom.

I'm based in the US and i currently fly mostly BA and CX long-haul in Premium eco for work and AA for my personal needs.
i'm going to get to BA Gold roughly 6 months into my BA year. What should i do next ?

- Start accruing miles on AA ffp since most of my flights for the coming months are going to not change in anyway my status on BA ?

- Something else more exotic ? (like starting to search for flights on UA or LH and start an effort on one of these FF programs) ?

All suggestions and questions are welcome :-)

Thanks !
You don't say what cabin you fly in when on personal flights on AA, but if this is economy then I would recommend crediting these to AA (as long as you can maintain your BA Gold without them) as mile-earning on AA is far better than BA for economy.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by flibbly
You don't say what cabin you fly in when on personal flights on AA, but if this is economy then I would recommend crediting these to AA (as long as you can maintain your BA Gold without them) as mile-earning on AA is far better than BA for economy.
Absolutely and mile redemption is better too, at least for me. I tend to earn on my own travel, and burn for the children. AA is far better as, as long as you avoid BA, it's possible usually to avoid fuel surcharges.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 4:29 am

It depends a lot, ranging from eco to first if some good deal are present.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 4:31 am

My thinking exactly, any flights in my next 6 months are not going to be of any use to sustain my BA status (beside the small carot at 2500TP).
Old Oct 7, 2015, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In which case, once you are Gold then there are only fairly minor gradations on BA's ego meter (formally known as CIV) until you get towards GGL level (5k to join, 3k to maintain). On that level it's only perhaps lifetime status that would keep you adding after Gold

AA status won't help you much in this department, other than perhaps as a "just in case" stash of AA miles for times when they are the most cost effective (typically medium and long haul economy) or for using them to "pay" for a premium cabin when nothing else works.

You do some travel in CX, and status there does help. There is a new scheme starting with them, which is causing much wailing and gnashing of teeth on the CX forum, but if you're on 2,500 TPs a year level, it seems to be that you should get at least Sapphire on CX and there are various baubles on offer in their new arrangements. Having said that, CX does a good job of looking after BA Golds.

Thanks for all that. Yes maybe i should consider the CX FFP...
It is actually more a question of a game than really an ego meter. I'm now in a position where my nice fun game (to which i have been addicted thanks to FT...) of progression in status is gone... .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.