Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Chances of another CW flash sale for Christmas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2015, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GCH

For the past two years there has been a flash sale in period approaching Christmas with CW seats for about £1k. Last year it was for flights between 21st December and 11th Jan.

What are the chances of this happening again this year?
Old Sep 26, 2015, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by benjirocks
For the past two years there has been a flash sale in period approaching Christmas with CW seats for about £1k. Last year it was for flights between 21st December and 11th Jan.

What are the chances of this happening again this year?
Is this from the UK market? I have to say I am very surprised to hear this. I used to work in travel and the norm was discounted seats before around the 20th/21st and for travel from 25th onwards. 21-24 December was peak peak season and I can't ever remember outbound travel in that period being discounted - there is just no reason to.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 1:51 am

It has been done for the last 2 or 3 years actually and you are right about the dates.

I got me sister in law out to Vegas over the New Year, business class from Glasgow and I think it was £2015 for the 2 of them.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 1:54 am

Just checked and they have done it 3 years in a row.

Here is a link to last years.

http://blog.continentalclub.co.uk/fl...-for-1007-rtn/
Old Sep 26, 2015, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GCH
Yes for the uk market. Last year you could book around the end of November for about a week.

I have the full list of last years destinations saved. It was pretty extensive. Most of USA and Canada, some Middle East and Africa. Even as far a field as GRU, EZE and TYO
Old Sep 26, 2015, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by dolfinco
Just checked and they have done it 3 years in a row.

Here is a link to last years.

http://blog.continentalclub.co.uk/fl...-for-1007-rtn/
Wow, I am so surprised! Thanks for the link.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Annoyed me that it was UK market only. I would have gone to London for christmas, but flights were expensive.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 1:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I've already commented about how BA is the DFS of airlines. DFS? Christmas?
Old Sep 26, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: Working towards being a Bronze member
I have no idea if there will be a similar sale, but I'm keeping my eyes open. As I also need the tier points!

"Views are my own, and not of my employer"
Old Sep 26, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
My TP year ends on 8th January and I have just scraped over 1500 this year already so a sale where the outward journey needs to be taken before then is no good for me. I have a feeling I'll be jealously watching details of good deals everyone else is booking, however having grabbed a Viking fare I shouldn't get too upset!
Old Sep 26, 2015, 4:09 pm

Last year, VS price matched BA on all these fares, too. They never marketed it though.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 1:09 am

last year, bangkok was not on the list, but I still managed to get two tickets, transferred in HKG by CX, and BA A380 to London, got more tier point and avios at same price. So search more to find your need.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Tends to come as a 2 for 1. VS only matched last year silently (VS has been matching silently for recent years on BA Club sales mostly, for those who like VS). November 29th is the important date.

Have they missed a year? Cos first one was end 2011? In which case its been last 4 years (VS matched first and last).

Ex Dub becomes stupidly cheap then, but considering a 120 quid placement flight (with baggage ryanair from BHX) or unplanned hotel, then that 200 quid saving isn't much.

Tends to be 2 for 2K ish, has done west coast and less for east coast US. Has included Canadian and Brazilian only one year.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
21-24 December was peak peak season and I can't ever remember outbound travel in that period being discounted - there is just no reason to.
One of the key points about the GBP 1k Christmas CW fares is that by the time the fares are available for sale almost all of the bookings have been made and any seats remaining are likely to be spoiled.

Which means you can sell them off cheap without diluting any of the regular revenue!

BA did not allow passengers to change their tickets by upgrading to these fares, ensuring that every sale was incremental and, effectively, 100% profit.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 8:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
One of the key points about the GBP 1k Christmas CW fares is that by the time the fares are available for sale almost all of the bookings have been made and any seats remaining are likely to be spoiled.

Which means you can sell them off cheap without diluting any of the regular revenue!
Plus this sale seems to be announced on whatever day makes it infeasible for corporate traveller to have the mindset needed to make business bookings, e.g. on the last working Friday before Christmas. Some of us, however, are prepared.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.