Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[OT]: Arriving in London on Christmas day/Christmas Eve

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2015, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

Hi all,

I am currently in the midst of planning a trip to London during the winter break from the eastern seaboard of the US. For now, I am planning to either reach LHR on the morning of the 25th (preferable) or reach LHR on Christmas Eve.

I know that the Tube and Heathrow Express is closed on the 25th. Knowing that, if I need to get to Chelsea from Heathrow, is it preferable that I land on the 24th or getting a cab on the 25th shouldn't be a problem?

cheers!

Last edited by sometalkofme; Sep 20, 2015 at 3:14 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Sep 20, 2015, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I know this isn't answering your question, but what are you planning to do on Dec 25th? Are you staying with friends/family? If not, be warned that the UK really does shut down for Christmas Day.

If staying with people I would arrive on the 24th. If not, wait until the 26th...
Old Sep 20, 2015, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
I know this isn't answering your question, but what are you planning to do on Dec 25th? Are you staying with friends/family? If not, be warned that the UK really does shut down for Christmas Day.

If staying with people I would arrive on the 24th. If not, wait until the 26th...
I am meeting a friend who is getting there on the 26th. I did plan to walk around London. I find the city charming and an opportunity to see it half empty would have been nice. But if I won't be able to even get a bite to eat, I might rethink landing on the 25th then.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by sometalkofme
I am meeting a friend who is getting there on the 26th. I did plan to walk around London. I find the city charming and an opportunity to see it half empty would have been nice. But if I won't be able to even get a bite to eat, I might rethink landing on the 25th then.
Very few restaurants will be open on the 25th except for pre-booked Christmas lunches. The exceptions might be Indian and other ethnic restaurants which might be open as usual, but I can't say I've ever looked. No supermarkets will be open either, again except for some small ethnic-run cornershops. What you will find in Chelsea I don't know.

It won't be a problem getting a cab from LHR provided you pre-book. Expect to pay a premium. There is no public transport to speak of whatsover.

Last edited by Ldnn1; Sep 20, 2015 at 3:03 pm
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Are (at least some) hotel restaurants open? They must have guests, who would like to eat.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by flatlander
Are (at least some) hotel restaurants open? They must have guests, who would like to eat.
Yes, but many of those open will be running special Christmas arrangements, i.e. expensive full-on meals that will need to be booked in advance. Just had a dig round. Lots of hotels showing nothing, the Strand Palace (used to be a very mediocre hotel) wants £90 for lunch http://www.strandpalacehotel.co.uk/e...-us/christmas/
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:42 pm

Transport may not be much better on the 26th. The past two years, the Hex was shut down due to planned maintenance on the rail line into Paddington. The Piccadilly Line was running in to town, but was packed. The District and Circle Lines were mostly shut down due to planned maintenance for most of the week between Christmas and New Year - check this calendar https://tfl.gov.uk/forms/12392.aspx a bit closer to your departure to see if any shutdowns are scheduled.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the feedback. You people are great, no really! I will leave BOS on the 25th evening instead and reach LHR on Boxing Day. I don't mind an empty city (in some ways I prefer it), but if it means that I might starve, I will opt out of it. A pity!
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chucko
Transport may not be much better on the 26th. The past two years, the Hex was shut down due to planned maintenance on the rail line into Paddington. The Piccadilly Line was running in to town, but was packed. The District and Circle Lines were mostly shut down due to planned maintenance for most of the week between Christmas and New Year - check this calendar https://tfl.gov.uk/forms/12392.aspx a bit closer to your departure to see if any shutdowns are scheduled.
I think the Hex is not going to be functioning on 26th of this year either.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver
You won't starve! Almost everything will be closed, and the city will be as empty as if gets, so it might not be much fun! At the very worst though, you will be able to get a Chinese take-away.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
There will be no HEX from shutdown Christmas Eve (last service leaves T5 at 21.12) until Tuesday 29th (Note Monday 28th is a Bank Holiday) due to Crossrail works

https://www.heathrowexpress.com/time...vice-plans#788

Other Christmas adjustments for both rail and TFL serviceswill be released in a couple of weeks on the usual 12 weeks in advance schedule.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 4:16 pm

Chelsea is particularly empty during Christmas, most locals are in the countryside or having dinner at home. No restaurants will be open. You will have more luck around Chinatown or Leicester square perhaps
Old Sep 20, 2015, 4:21 pm

Christmas must be a very tough time indeed for you and your family, Flyingturkey. Stay safe.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Christmas must be a very tough time indeed for you and your family, Flyingturkey. Stay safe.
Someone has to live there!
Old Sep 20, 2015, 4:35 pm

Don't think you got my joke (re your FT name). I won't put that one in the Christmas crackers...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.