Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Membership Year Extension To Achieve Status - When Do They Deduct The Tier Points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Membership Year Extension To Achieve Status - When Do They Deduct The Tier Points?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2015, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match

For those who have taken advantage of the earning year extension to achieve a higher status, when have BA taken the tier points you are putting towards the previous earning year?
Old Sep 11, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
Not sure I understand the question. If you ask for an extension of your collection year, anything you fly within the extension period will count towards the previous collection year. The extension period is two weeks.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by agehall
Not sure I understand the question. If you ask for an extension of your collection year, anything you fly within the extension period will count towards the previous collection year. The extension period is two weeks.
The TPs initially credit to the new year but BA have to manually deduct them and apply them to your old year.

I think the OP is asking when that process actually happens.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 2:41 pm

As I recall it happened a couple of days after my call. That got me over the line, and when other TPs posted in the 14 days, they were subsequently reversed out too.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
The TPs initially credit to the new year but BA have to manually deduct them and apply them to your old year.

I think the OP is asking when that process actually happens.
That was my question .
Old Sep 12, 2015, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
As I recall it happened a couple of days after my call. That got me over the line, and when other TPs posted in the 14 days, they were subsequently reversed out too.
Thanks. My extension was in April as I missed my year end by two days. Right now I still have all TPs earned during the two week extension. I'm hoping the fact that they haven't been deducted yet means they've been forgotten about and won't be deducted . A little help towards another year of silver!
Old Mar 15, 2016, 6:04 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Is this membership year extension a reliable option, or does it depend on who you speak to in the call centre? I'm considering a 900 TP run to get me to Gold instead of Silver, but for various reasons can only do this in the week after the end of my membership year.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Deltus
Is this membership year extension a reliable option, or does it depend on who you speak to in the call centre? I'm considering a 900 TP run to get me to Gold instead of Silver, but for various reasons can only do this in the week after the end of my membership year.
Yes it is reliable - at least no one has posted on here that they have been refused.

Nikki who used to the BA rep on here actually posted what the policy was - you can only ask after your year ends and the TPs have posted (i.e. this is not proactive) and that it is a strict two weeks period.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 6:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I don't recall any example of the extension not being given, and I would definitely have made a note if it had. So I think that aspect is reliable. But two comments:

What if things didn't go to plan? You won't have much capacity to fix a solution given the time scale.

Secondly, if you are this much short of Gold, is this the best use of your time and money? Is it going to be worth it?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 6:29 am

I'm thinking a TP run of that magnitude in a two week extension seems a bit inefficient. You'd only get 12 months at gold.

How does your upcoming year look for travel? if you could bag the remaining 600 TPs during the year you'd have gold for longer.

And if you're not expecting to travel much, is such a TP run worth it? Up to you of course
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Yeah, I'm not convinced of the merits that TP run yet, but just wanted to know if this would be an option to consider.

Most of my travel is SH around Europe, so getting to 600 TPs this year has already been a bit of an effort, and not sure I can rely on picking up a further 600 next year as well.

But yes, sounds like it might make more sense to put it towards getting gold next year if I can plan some other trips...
Old Mar 20, 2016, 7:03 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Deltus
If you get Gold in first week of your new year, it will last for 12 months only, if you though credit all the points to the next year and get gold in 3 months by taking advantage of another TP run, your Gold will last for 21 months... so you'll keep it for longer!
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, EH Gold, AZ FAP, SPG, IHG
Hello,
Is this still available? has anybody tried it recently?
Do I call BA closer to the end of my earning year or is it advisable to give them more notice.
Thank you.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 4:03 am

As far as we know it's still available.

You don't need to give any notice. In many cases they will simply tell you to call back after the points have credited.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 5:01 am

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster
Originally Posted by ankomonkey
Thanks. My extension was in April as I missed my year end by two days. Right now I still have all TPs earned during the two week extension. I'm hoping the fact that they haven't been deducted yet means they've been forgotten about and won't be deducted . A little help towards another year of silver!
Coming clean now that this is well in the past as indeed this is what happened to me. I maintained status in year X via points earned in the extension period. The points however stayed on in my new year balance. I then maintained status in year Y based on some of those "free" points.

An inadvertent gift from BA I had no moral issues *not* drawing to BAEC's attention. I don't steal from lounges, before anyone asks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.