Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1A and 1K in First - Gold/Silver

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:15 am
Original Poster

1A and 1K in First - Gold/Silver

No doubt there has been a thread on this but cant find. Booked First Class on the A380 - LHR-SIN and because my wife is Silver, it wont let me book her in 1A with me being Gold in 1K.

2,3,4 EF are all booked so left with sitting behind each other.

1) Is it just me or is this daft considering its a Gold Card booking the fare and travelling.

2) Looking at the seat map, am i right in saying there is a staircase between 1A and 1K anyway and therefore not as close together as normal First cabin ?

Am i better off in 1K and 2K?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:19 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
The only time 1A and 1K is a good choice for two people traveling together is when that flight is operated on the B747. 1A and 1K are on opposite sides of the aircraft with a galley, 2 seats and either lavatories and a set of stairs between them on the A380 or B777s.

1A and 1K are reserved exclusively fir Gold/Prem cardholders only in First Class on long haul aircraft. I often choose 1K 2K when travelling with a family member (or 1A 2A) on thecA380. Lots of space in the buddy seat to share a few drinks and a meal.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
Originally Posted by dolfinco
No doubt there has been a thread on this but cant find. Booked First Class on the A380 - LHR-SIN and because my wife is Silver, it wont let me book her in 1A with me being Gold in 1K.

2,3,4 EF are all booked so left with sitting behind each other.

1) Is it just me or is this daft considering its a Gold Card booking the fare and travelling.

2) Looking at the seat map, am i right in saying there is a staircase between 1A and 1K anyway and therefore not as close together as normal First cabin ?

Am i better off in 1K and 2K?

Here's the thread you need

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22358044-post383.html

Seems the consensus is to avoid 1K and go for 2K/3K if centre pairs are occupied.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
I'm no expert, but surely on anything other than a 744 1A/K is not great for a couple, given the other seats in between.

However, this is moot since you have to be a GCH to select row one (other than the 789, which only has two rows). I think the rationale is that, as there are only two seats, it prevents another GCH from selecting it.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There is a seat map here http://www.thebasource.com/seatmaps/...303ylower.html

A and K F seats on the A380 are opposite sides of the cabin. If you wan to sit close by either go for a middle seat pair or one behind the other on two window seats.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:22 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
The only time 1A and 1K is a good choice for two people traveling together is when that flight is operated on the B747. 1A and 1K are on opposite sides of the aircraft with a galley, 2 seats and either lavatories and a set of stairs between them on the A380 or B777s.

1A and 1K are reserved exclusively fir Gold/Prem cardholders only in First Class on long haul aircraft.
But I think other passengers (especially those in 2E & F) would be interested in the OP and his OH's conversations as they shout loudly across 2 sets of aisles

1A and 1K are great for privacy on the A380, but definitely not for couples...although 1A and 2A aren't awful as you can dine together and OP gets the 1A boarding pass!
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. Unfortunately 2A is gone so 1A and 2A is not an option but having now seen the better pictures then im happy with 1K and 2K.

Problem solved and much obliged as usual.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat

1A and 1K are reserved exclusively fir Gold/Prem cardholders only in First Class on long haul aircraft. I often choose 1K 2K when travelling with a family member (or 1A 2A) on thecA380. Lots of space in the buddy seat to share a few drinks and a meal.
Well you might be married and "accidentally" locate your other half 2 aisles away and only discover this dreadful news upon boarding

1K and 2K on the 777 are better seats than the A equivalent since the right hand aisle is typically quieter and the seat surround is better optimised for the right handed (drink on the right side etc.). The only problem with 1K is that it is in quite close proximity to the toilet.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: ABBA
Until the seatbelt sign comes on and you're back to your own seat. At least according to one highly trained BA cabin crew member I had last month.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Until the seatbelt sign comes on and you're back to your own seat. At least according to one highly trained BA cabin crew member I had last month.
Only for take off and landing? Or is that one for the 'made up rules' topic?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:39 am

Only for take off and landing? Or is that one for the 'made up rules' topic?
Made up rules. Along with a 9 month old having to be woken up from his BA approved forward-facing 5 point car seat to be belted up with a seatbelt during the same turbulence. And for landing.

BA, to fly to serve.

Makes you wonder what other parts of the operational manual the crew don't know.

Fortunately my complaint to ba.com afterwards confirmed that "the crew can make up whatever they want, tough"
Old Sep 10, 2015, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Can i please ask if i am flying LHR-SIN-SYD and the LHR-SIN leg is in F but the SIN-SYD is in J will i be allowed access to Concorde Bar in SIN based on the flight i have arrived on long haul rather than the one im about to get onto ?

Also, can you please advise if i need to clear customs/security moving from BA11 to BA15 and am i right in saying I will be joining a plane with already boarded passengers who have just flown from London or is everyone off loaded from the BA15 then reloaded after a clean up etc.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 3:08 pm

Everyone is offloaded at Singapore and the plane is cleaned before a new crew operate it.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 3:17 pm

1A and 1 K on the A380 have one advantage in that they are very private. There are however quite a few disadvantages namely
- they are both next to the front toilets the bulkhead of which is at your feet. You will most probably feel and hear the toilet flushing. You might also be disturbed by passengers coming and going to the toilet.
- they are both next to understairs cupboards that are used extensively by the crew during the flight which can be disruptive. On every BA A380 I have flown the latches on these cupboards rattle incessantly which can also be disruptive to sleep.
- on one A380 we flew, the cabin crew were using a curtained off area in front of 1A during the night for fairly loud discussions which my other half had to get up and ask them to be quiet.
Overall, the better seats in F on an A380 are 2A and 3A or 2K 3K if you want a window view or the central ones if you do not care.
I believe you will be allowed access to the Concorde Room in Singapore based on your incoming flight being in F - you would most probably have to show them your boarding card.
You will not need to clear customs at Singapore but will need to clear security as all security at Singapore is at the boarding gate.
All passengers from the incoming BA15 from London have to deplane at Singapore.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dolfinco
Also, can you please advise if i need to clear customs/security moving from BA11 to BA15 and am i right in saying I will be joining a plane with already boarded passengers who have just flown from London or is everyone off loaded from the BA15 then reloaded after a clean up etc.
Security yes, customs no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.