Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Really know how to alienate new customers...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Really know how to alienate new customers...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2015, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I think there is also a wider point here about BA's treatment of new customers which is one of the potentially more dangerous parts of BA's business model. BA provides fairly good perks to frequent travellers (i.e. BAEC Gold members), but seems to forget that customers have to (normally willingly) go through other levels to get there. This is especially problematic given that e.g. BA doesn't offer status matches.

New customers from say VS or other non-OW airlines think they'll give BA a try and book a TATL J or similar, then find they have to pay to reserve a seat even on a relatively high value ticket. They therefore don't select a seat until check-in when all the UD and probably decent window seats are gone and find themselves banished to a middle of the plane dorm-type CW seat. This combined with the inconsistency of service leads them to have a sub-par experience and not realise BA J can be much better than this.

I realise that BA has chosen to reward frequent flyers above all which is fine (as opposed to e.g. QR which doesn't seem to care about frequent flyer status but instead skews things towards paying premium passengers), but they need to at least provide a reasonable standard of service before this point so that customers are willing to get there. I am in my 20's, just starting my career and would think I'm a reasonable proxy for future possible BA frequent fliers. I've already had enough bad customer service experiences with, e.g., poor service from the India call centre non-Golds are subjected to that I wonder whether BA is really for me.
BA does seem to shoot itself in the foot in the way it treats non-status premium passengers. The call centre issues really ought to have been sorted out by now.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 4:24 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Why not?

If you want polite crew fly BA, if you want rude arrogant crew fly AA.
That's totally unfair - it does so depend on where the crew is based. ORD is not the best - LAX is pretty good - that said with US Airways in the mix and all sorts of changes due to seniority this may no longer apply. As a passenger I have only encountered one dreadful - and I mean dreadful purser (Eurofleet). Lazy, rude and arrogant. A pretty combination.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 4:27 am

Programs: BA Brown
OP, how did your wife boss book extra leg room seats, I thought they were blocked for status passengers.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 4:34 am

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
Originally Posted by mdj1
And this post sums up why BA probably won't be around in 15 years unless they make some serious changes now.
i totally understand your post

there is nothing worse than recommending a product or service and then feeling very let down when things don't go as they should have

but im pretty sure BA will still be around in 15 years as I cant see who can fill the gap
Old Sep 4, 2015, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by jacobitetraveller
as I cant see who can fill the gap
And therein lies the problem. Lack of serious competition is BAd....
Old Sep 4, 2015, 4:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
That's totally unfair - it does so depend on where the crew is based. ORD is not the best - LAX is pretty good - that said with US Airways in the mix and all sorts of changes due to seniority this may no longer apply. As a passenger I have only encountered one dreadful - and I mean dreadful purser (Eurofleet). Lazy, rude and arrogant. A pretty combination.
It is completely unfair. I'm not crew, never have been (although secretly wanted to be when I was young ), but generalised crew-bashing is just ridiculous. I sometimes wonder whether passengers (and FTers) ever appreciate that the crew are real people too, some of the crap I've observed them putting up with I know I'd be less smiley with everyone else afterwards.

Treat people the way you want to be treated ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.