Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DUB-HNL My thoughts

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2015, 3:35 am

Programs: BAEC
We have booked similar trip to OP (to OGG) next Easter - family of 4 incl 2 teenagers business/first.

After the outbound Dublin flight we are overnighting at LHR and flying AA777 to LAX and onward to OGG same day.

On the way back we arrive LAX 9.13pm and plan to stay at/near LAX airport. Then 3.35pm BA380 return to LHR (then LCY to DUB.....).

We would be grateful for some advice please:

1. What lounge options are available at LAX outbound? - short stopover so not much time anyway.

2. Is it possible to check our hold luggage from OGG to LHR even if our LAX stopover is about 18 hours in total? Would save lugging it to the hotels.

4. Anyone recommend a reasonably priced on-site LAX hotel with decent size rooms for four "adults"?

5. We will have 7am to 1ish on homeward leg in LAX - is there a must do/see that is feasible in that time? We are considering taxi to Santa Monica Pier with lunch but are open to suggestions. Travelling home mid-week so traffic may be an issue.

6. Have reserved upper deck seats on BA380 front cabin - reasonable choice for some movies/food and a few hours shut-eye?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

David
Old Sep 4, 2015, 3:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
1. Admirals Club in T4, but this is only based on your BA silver status so you and one guest.

2. Not sure LAX offer overnight baggage holding, and not sure I would want to leave my bag there anyway overnight.

4. I stayed at the Hilton LAX which is very close by. Free shuttle from LAX to the hotel.

6. Yes
Old Sep 4, 2015, 3:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by SPINNEY000
We have booked similar trip to OP (to OGG) next Easter - family of 4 incl 2 teenagers business/first.

After the outbound Dublin flight we are overnighting at LHR and flying AA777 to LAX and onward to OGG same day.

On the way back we arrive LAX 9.13pm and plan to stay at/near LAX airport. Then 3.35pm BA380 return to LHR (then LCY to DUB.....).

We would be grateful for some advice please:

1. What lounge options are available at LAX outbound? - short stopover so not much time anyway.

2. Is it possible to check our hold luggage from OGG to LHR even if our LAX stopover is about 18 hours in total? Would save lugging it to the hotels.

4. Anyone recommend a reasonably priced on-site LAX hotel with decent size rooms for four "adults"?

5. We will have 7am to 1ish on homeward leg in LAX - is there a must do/see that is feasible in that time? We are considering taxi to Santa Monica Pier with lunch but are open to suggestions. Travelling home mid-week so traffic may be an issue.

6. Have reserved upper deck seats on BA380 front cabin - reasonable choice for some movies/food and a few hours shut-eye?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

David
1. Actually I think might be alright for everyone at AAdmirals due to incoming international business?

3. I hope you will consider redacting that question...

4. I have done the Concourse at LAX (in the process of becoming a Hyatt). Was a bit tatty round the edges (in need of renovation) but well priced.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
1. Admirals Club in T4, but this is only based on your BA silver status so you and one guest.

2. Not sure LAX offer overnight baggage holding, and not sure I would want to leave my bag there anyway overnight.

4. I stayed at the Hilton LAX which is very close by. Free shuttle from LAX to the hotel.

6. Yes
Just returned from a similar trip - I was asked if I wanted my luggage checked all the way through to LIH, but like yourself, I wasn't comfortable leaving luggage overnight at LAX.....assuming of course that was possible.

We also stayed at the LAX Hilton, which was OK, but convenient. Booked this stay through a third party which was considerably cheaper than Hilton.com although Hilton (on request) added the booking to my Hhonors account which did not accrue points but allowed me to check in using their app and select my own room.

I wasn't too keen on the Admirals Club, but it was fine for a short stay and a couple of drinks.

Hopefully the hurricanes will miss Hawaii, but the humidity and lack of trades on the three islands we visited made it a little uncomfortable at times,
Old Sep 4, 2015, 4:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by crazy8534
1. Actually I think might be alright for everyone at AAdmirals due to incoming international business?
I had thought not but now not sure. The oneworld lounge access on conencting flights says:

http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access/

Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:
  • First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
  • Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
  • You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.
So I am assuming the LAX-OGG flight at around 5hrs 45 mins doesn't fall in to the "shorthaul" category, but does fall in to the "domestic" category. So actually I think you may be right crazy8534 and lounge access in to the AC is allowed based in the inbound international J flight.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 4:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
I think you may be right crazy8534
There is a first time for everything.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:06 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
In Honolulu, they checked it to LAX, and seemed to suggest it couldn't be checked all the way through...
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There is actually quite a good bus service to Santa Monica from the LAX bus station, but a taxi would give you more control if there are 4 of you, and I would normally recommend a visit there, it's a good spot. Or even a trip to see Paul Getty's old gaff nearby, but you need to plan that in advance (they are a bit weird about arriving by taxi there due to local planning laws). The only concern is that after that HNL flight the appeal of Santa Monica among some members of your group may not be high!

Otherwise I agree with KARFA, particularly not leaving bags overnight in LAX, I think that's asking for trouble. The Hilton shuttle is more or less door to door, as are the other hotel provider shuttles for LAX.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold,VS Gold,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Smid
In Honolulu, they checked it to LAX, and seemed to suggest it couldn't be checked all the way through...
At HNL they checked our bags through to LHR and seemed to suggest they would have checked them through to DUB if we hadnt been flying LGW-DUB
We only had about 3.5 hours layover in LAX so dont know if that makes ant difference
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I know that to LA people it is like swearing in church, but I always enjoy a nice lunch at the Long Beach harbour, near the Aquarium... Santa Monica is closer to LAX though. 25/35 min by cab.

Venice Beach... Haven't been in a while. Is that still fun ?

Last edited by henkybaby; Sep 4, 2015 at 5:24 am
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
I personally love Venice Beach - great vibe but not for everybody!
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Manhattan Beach is very close and has some good spots for brunch.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Depends. If you do a connection on the east coast and then on the west coast I don't think it is possible to do your TATL & transcon and get to LAX or PHX in time for the last flight to HNL. So you end up having to do an overnight stop somewhere enroute.
It can be done relatively easily if you do the TATL to the East Coast direct from DUB but probably not comfortably if you want to connect through LHR. I would still take a stopover even then though.

Last edited by Blueboys999; Sep 4, 2015 at 6:00 am
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:57 am

LAX lacks an onsite hotel but all the usual chains are represented in the immediate vicinity and have free shuttles many of which are shared between 3 or 4 properties.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Next to the terminal (I believe) the Flight Path Learning Center & Museum.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...alifornia.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.