Wiki Posts
Search

Question about award space

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2015, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways
Question about award space

does anyone know if British randomly adds and takes away award space? last night I was going to book an award from SJC to LHR in June and tonight its gone. I find it hard to believe someone booked it.. though maybe they did.. but is it possible if I want a couple of days it may reappear or do they no release like that? Just seems really random.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jasoninaz
does anyone know if British randomly adds and takes away award space? last night I was going to book an award from SJC to LHR in June and tonight its gone. I find it hard to believe someone booked it.. though maybe they did.. but is it possible if I want a couple of days it may reappear or do they no release like that? Just seems really random.
It is best to refer the airline British Airways, it's never shortened!

Yes it is to some degree random, but it is linked to sales. Here today, gone tomorrow, back thereafter. Because of the relatively low penalty for cancellation/amendment it's best not to hang around if it looks plausible. Every day, around 01:00 hrs, there is a refresh of availability, and availability comes and goes accordingly. The only thing is that 4 World Traveller and 2 Club World seats are released for every flight: if you were looking at those cabins and they have now gone (and the flight is more than 45 days away) then it is because someone else has booked them. And there has been a lot of publicity about SJC in the last 48 hours so that strikes me as very likely to have happened.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Aug 29, 2015 at 6:52 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by jasoninaz
does anyone know if British randomly adds and takes away award space?
I think that they do. Or at least almost at random.

It makes sense when you think about it. There should never be a guarantee of an award seat, even either on a lightly loaded flight or when there is no more demand to come, because then passengers willing to pay cash might spend Avios instead.

Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:36 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Hi isn't it the case that a minimum of 4 WT and 2 CW seats will be released every flight?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by cysyuen
Hi isn't it the case that a minimum of 4 WT and 2 CW seats will be released every flight?
Yes but once they are gone they are gone and BA isn't obligated to release any more over and above those 4 and 2.

That's not to say they won't but if they do it can be at any time.

Looks like in this case the OP saw the availability but didn't book and when they went back later it had gone.

Standard rule of thumb is if you see reward availability then book it.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways
Thats exactly it.. just bums me out because it was only a brand new schedule for that flight and only 12hrs later. I am a sad panda.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Yes but once they are gone they are gone and BA isn't obligated to release any more over and above those 4 and 2.

That's not to say they won't but if they do it can be at any time.

Looks like in this case the OP saw the availability but didn't book and when they went back later it had gone.

Standard rule of thumb is if you see reward availability then book it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.