Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New e-gates in T5 LHR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:31 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
New e-gates in T5 LHR

Hat tip to KARFA for this one:

The extra ten e-gates have now been unveiled in the UK Border hall of Terminal 5 Arrivals, to add to the 5 e-gate. They were boxed off in a wooden crate until a few days ago, but KARFA reports that though they were roped off, they seem almost ready for service, with the TV displays now operating. My guess is that they will be switched on very shortly to cope with the weekend rush. EDIT: Wednesday 9 September 2015, see below.

The new 10 gates are on the left of the hall, the 5 old gates are on the right side before UK Flight Connections, giving 2 exit points. I guess they will shuffle the 5 gates over to the elft after the summer is over. The old set-up was insufficient for the demand, even LCY has 5 e-gates.

E-gates can be used by UK, other EEA and Swiss passport holders with chipped passports, over the age of 18 years old. ID cards don't work, but chipped passports for other nationals registered under the Frequent Traveller scheme can also use them.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Aug 31, 2015 at 5:27 am Reason: FTS typo
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Would be nice if they kept a couple of the "old" e-gates where they are next to INT-DOM connections to allow UK/EEA/Swiss PAX who are connecting to a domestic flight the option to use E-Gates for a possibly quicker transfer.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
They looked ready to go last night when I passed through the border. I would be surprised if they weren't brought in to use in the next few days.

I agree with SWISSBOBBY, it would be great if they could shuffle maybe two of the existing machines across for INT-DOM connections.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
Good to see some progress on this. ^

Around midday two days ago I noticed screens were already on, but they were still boxed off. I'd think your guess of opening by the weekend to be pretty accurate.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:45 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
The signage on Thursday evening (late) stated that the new e-gates were 'being tested', but no mention of the intended introduction for public use.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

The old set-up was insufficient for the demand
Too true. My recent LHR T5 arrival experiences have been a disappointment, caused primarily by the ridiculously long queues at passport control. Timewise, I've found a manual passport check (as opposed to using the e-gates) to be the lesser of two evils.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:07 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Bring back iris!
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:13 am

Programs: BA - Silver,Hilton-Diamond, IHG - PlatAmb, GHA - Plat
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Bring back iris!
^ .. ahh the quickest way into the UK :-) and never any queues...
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Bring back iris!
Best idea yet.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
So 10 more gates to send me round to see a border agent then, because they, unlike anywhere else in Europe, seem to have a problem with my passport
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:58 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY
Would be nice if they kept a couple of the "old" e-gates where they are next to INT-DOM connections to allow UK/EEA/Swiss PAX who are connecting to a domestic flight the option to use E-Gates for a possibly quicker transfer.
Totally agree and something that we should all lobby Heathrow to do. Can't be that difficult.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:04 am
NFH
Suspended

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
ID cards don't work
Why don't biometric ID cards work in e-gates? They bear the same symbol as biometric passports so there should be no difference in acceptance. I've noticed that this is a restriction not only in the anti-ID-card UK but also in other European countries where ID cards are the norm.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:19 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by KARFA

last night when I passed through the border
Are we finally classing LBA as a foreign place? ;-)
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:25 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
I'll have a look this evening when i pass through.

I'm unsure if they'll go in to operation this soon, as I'd been told mid to late September.

bjorns
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Definitely not in operation at 7am this morning when I passed through as evidenced by the gigantic queue!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.